Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

So I let my dog out in the backyard to play today, before it got to hot, and all of the sudden I hear terrified squeaking.

I go into the backyard, and my dog has found a rabbit burrow with a baby rabbit in it. She decided that this the most fun toy she had ever found and was shaking the kit in her mouth, letting the kit go to run a few feet then pouncing on her, etc. All the while the kit is squeaking in terror.

So I grab the kit and put my dog inside so the dog doesn't kill it. But now I have handled the kit, so I am afraid the mother won't feed it anymore. I put the kit back in the barrow, and tried to rebuild the nest with the mother rabbit's hair and some straw. I will have to keep an eye out to see if the mother comes back.....

Just really sad. I hate to see animals suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
We see all kinds of critters in our yard and in the greenbelt behind us; but, I've not seen a rabbit in the three years we've been here. Must be the coyote in the area.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
We see all kinds of critters in our yard and in the greenbelt behind us; but, I've not seen a rabbit in the three years we've been here. Must be the coyote in the area.
We see hundreds of rabbits, literally. They are all over peoples lawns when we take our nightly walks. There is one huge one we call Jack, he is about 3 feet we think. He just sits on the green belt every night and glares at people who walk by.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,366 times
Aw, sometimes nature DOES suck. You did the best you could. If the mother does abandon it, you can contact Austin Wildlife Rescue and take the kit there. They will care for it and release it back into the wild when it's ready.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
So I let my dog out in the backyard to play today, before it got to hot, and all of the sudden I hear terrified squeaking.

I go into the backyard, and my dog has found a rabbit burrow with a baby rabbit in it. She decided that this the most fun toy she had ever found and was shaking the kit in her mouth, letting the kit go to run a few feet then pouncing on her, etc. All the while the kit is squeaking in terror.

So I grab the kit and put my dog inside so the dog doesn't kill it. But now I have handled the kit, so I am afraid the mother won't feed it anymore. I put the kit back in the barrow, and tried to rebuild the nest with the mother rabbit's hair and some straw. I will have to keep an eye out to see if the mother comes back.....

Just really sad. I hate to see animals suffer.
I hate that. I hope it works out.

In our previous house in Pflugerville (which was on the cusp of Round Rock), we saw rabbits all the time.

In Round Rock, I don't see many. What I do see quite often are dead birds on our back patio. At first, I couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe the neighbor's cat was the culprit. Then one day, I was in the kitchen, and I heard a loud THUD on the window. I was puzzled. It happened again on another day, and that time, I saw stray feathers floating outside our window, and I realized birds are flying into our window. Some keep going, some don't make it. We have two story windows in our living room(I guess that's what they're called), and we don't have window treatments. My husband blames me because I decided against window treatments for those windows, and he said some kind of treatments would deter such accidents.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times
Jay,
The same thing happened to us when our Lab was a puppy. He managed to catch a baby rabbit and ran over to show me. Of course, I start screaming my head off at him to drop it, he looks at me totally freaked out (I'm not normally a screamer) and he drops it. It ran back into its warren from there. I checked on the little guy for a few days and he seemed to fit back in with the family fine. Maybe just keep an eye on it for a day or two to see how it plays out.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Keep the baby rabbit where it is. We had a similar incident a few years ago and the wildlife rescue folks told us the mother should still come back.

In other nature sucks news, we have a bird's nest outside our front door. We have one of those arched, 2-story entrances, and it is way up in the corner - about 16 feet up. It was here when we bought the house 6 years ago. Anyway, the same pair of birds (we think) comes back every year and has baby birds. Really cute to watch, as we can see them through the large picture window above our door.

My kids were so excited when they returned recently and we ended up with 4 baby birds. They used to run to the window every morning to see their fuzzy little heads sticking out and watch mommy bird feed them. Well, we return from running errands one day (we come through the garage), and my 4 year-old runs to the window to check on our birds. She starts screaming, "Snake! Mommy, a snake!"

I thought she meant maybe on the front porch. Nope. A rat snake had scaled the wall of our house, the entire 16 feet, and was IN the nest. The mother bird was freaking out, as were my kids. I called the local snake guy here in Steiner, and he got here ASAP and removed the snake, but it was too late. Not exactly the part of nature I wanted my kids to see.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Well, that's that. I just went out to check to make sure the little guy was still in his barrow, and he is gone. He must have run off. It's very hot out, and I really wish now that I had left him inside, but what can you do? Once my dog had discovered him, his fate was pretty much sealed. It's sad, but that's nature......

Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Don't fret. His mom may have very well moved him after she realized he was "discovered." Also, rabbits go off on their own when they are very young. Were his eyes open when you found him? If so, he was probably ready to venture out on his own anyway.

The person at the wildlife rescue said they get calls all the time about "abandoned" baby rabbits, when they are really already on their own - even if they are only the size of a tennis ball.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Don't fret. His mom may have very well moved him after she realized he was "discovered." Also, rabbits go off on their own when they are very young. Were his eyes open when you found him? If so, he was probably ready to venture out on his own anyway.

The person at the wildlife rescue said they get calls all the time about "abandoned" baby rabbits, when they are really already on their own - even if they are only the size of a tennis ball.
+

I hope that is the case, b/c I am really sad now, lol.

His eyes were open, so maybe he is just exploring, although it's a bit hot for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin