Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 AM

12 posts, read 30,703 times

Advertisements

I have been reading threads and posted replys and I'm scared. I have to move (end of relationship) and I live on Long Island, NY. I don't want to live here anymore, I would like to live where pepole are friendly and the weather a lot warmer than here.

I chose Austin thinking it may be a better atmosphere, Round Rock area.

I have been looking at apartment complexes and most of them have bad reviews. Melogano at Teravista seemed okay, Monterone Round Rock looked nice but expensive. Saw Summerset Apts but haven't checked it out reviews yet.

I saw another post by a lady looking to move to a provate home rental, thats what I thought I would like to do but I cant find one anywhere.

I will try to get a job prior to moving in the dental field, I am a dental assistant (I am a hard worker), I excel at the front desk. I have been an Office Manager for a Real Estate appraisal company (AMC now) for the last 6 years. I cant see anything for either. I know its the time of year as no one leaves their position right before Christmas and New Year, but other people have posted they moved to Austin and after 4-6 months still can't find a job.

Then I see that for apartment complexes you have to show 3x monthly rent in verifiable income. I can't show that.

I'm starting to lose faith, can I really do this?? Will it be THAT hard to get a roof over my head?

Please help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
I think any apartment you look at is going to have bad reviews online because of two things. Generally people that have a good experience at a complex don't take the time to find an apartment review site and post about it. Secondly, I think a good portion of negative apartment reviews are vendettas that the tenant has for something stupid that they did to get reprimanded by the management company, like late payments, noise complaints and such.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
Just a couple of suggestions:

1 - Can you stand the idea of living with a roommate? Or subleasing an apartment? These might be good short-term solutions until you have a job. Craig's List, but use the usual precautions.

2 - Job hunting for the kind of thing you're looking for in Austin is a bit difficult. However, the Austin Craig's list is known as a good place to find candidates (from an employer perspective). In in HR and I post on it quite a bit.

Also, consider signing up with a temp agency in your field or desired field as soon as you get here.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 30,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
Just a couple of suggestions:

1 - Can you stand the idea of living with a roommate? Or subleasing an apartment? These might be good short-term solutions until you have a job. Craig's List, but use the usual precautions.

2 - Job hunting for the kind of thing you're looking for in Austin is a bit difficult. However, the Austin Craig's list is known as a good place to find candidates (from an employer perspective). In in HR and I post on it quite a bit.

Also, consider signing up with a temp agency in your field or desired field as soon as you get here.
I have tried to find a temp agency and online research hasn't produced anything but I'm sure they are out there.

Also, just wanted to apologized if my OP seemed so desparate.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
There are tons of temp agencies in Austin - tons. However, they probably won't be interested in talking to you until you are physically here.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezzy32 View Post
Then I see that for apartment complexes you have to show 3x monthly rent in verifiable income. I can't show that.

I'm starting to lose faith, can I really do this?? Will it be THAT hard to get a roof over my head?

Please help. Thank you.
My advice would be as follows:
1) Save three to six month's living expenses.

2) Move here and find a roommate situation. This will save you from having to qualify for rental, establish utility services in your name and the fees and deposits associated with all that. It also provides a flexible situation from which you can make your next move. This is important so you don't dig yourself a hole by being in a 12 month lease with utility services, etc. Roommates offer rooms from $300-$500/mo in most cases, often in a house or nice apartment.

I would suggest getting a private postal mailbox address though. For privacy reasons and to have the ability to forward mail to your eventual permanent address without hassle.

Finally, setting yourself up in a low-cost living situation will give you the flexibility to take temp work as needed but still be able to survive.

3) Start job search and find a job. It's very hard to find work if you're not here for follow-up interviews, etc. Being here will increase your chances of success tremendously. You can start networking and trying to set up interviews before you get here. With your admin background, you know the ground rules and what's needed to find a job.

4) Plan to succeed, but prepare for the worst. If you come to Austin, search for a job, and at the 2 month mark haven't found something, know in advance what you're next move is going to be, whether it's returning home, moving elsewhere with family, etc. Have a contingency plan. A "Plan B".

I came to Austin in 1985 with everything I owned crammed into a 1970 Toyota Corolla. No job, about 3 month's living expenses and I knew 1 person here. It worked out well. Don't be afraid to bet on yourself.

Steve

Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 AM

150 posts, read 392,933 times
I moved here 18 months ago and was in the same boat as you. I moved here, stayed in motel for a week and searched high and low for apartments. You can use an apartment finder person, but you can lose as much as $200 back to you when you do this.

I found an apartment on McNeil (NW Austin). Apartment sucked. Found a better one on 620. Loved it. Then I found a realtor and then found a house in Round Rock. Love the neighborhood and closeness of shopping and restuarants.

Don't worry, it'll all work out.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: