Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM

392 posts, read 749,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Ditto everything loveroses wrote. Remember Marini's Empanada House, Udder Delight, Cody's, the old Houlihan's? There was a Greek restaurant with belly dancers and other unique ethnic restaurants around Montrose.........lots of interesting and unusual shops.

Lots of interesting places to hear jazz including an old "repurposed" Masonic temple.

Every once in a while there would be a "revival" on the corner of Westheimer and Montrose(?) Fun to watch.

There was a huge flea market near where my father worked, and I remember my parents going to some big farmer's market back before farmer's markets ever became "cool."

And only Houston had Kitirick, Cadet Don, Don Mahoney and Jeana Clair, and Marrrrrrrvin Zindler.

YES!!! "SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME in the ice machine!!!!!" Oh, how my family used to look forward to that segment on the evening news! hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
"keep austin weird" "keep austin weird" god shut up already!
I can so agree with this. "Keep Austin Weird" has become silly, pretentious.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Personally, I think its a little silly seeing that whole sign being put up just about everywhere. "keep austin weird" "keep austin weird" god shut up already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I can so agree with this. "Keep Austin Weird" has become silly, pretentious.
Its original intent was to promote supporting local businesses, although certainly it's morphed into more than that now. As I see it, it's simply a way to foster a collective identity among Austin's residents...it's actually pretty cool. How is it silly and pretentious, and why do those who have the bumper sticker on their car/wear the t-shirt need to "shut up already"?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
YES!!! "SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME in the ice machine!!!!!" Oh, how my family used to look forward to that segment on the evening news! hahahaha
HA! The Rat and Roach Report! Of course, his biggest claim to fame was the "undoing" of the Chicken Ranch which inspired "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." I'll never forget watching the news and seeing Marvin Zindler get into a "tussle" with Sheriff Jim. It was a bit shocking at the time.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Oh, brother. Y'all need to get your collective knickers out of a twist. How can you possibly be that bothered by a bumper sticker? The slogan makes no value judgments on other cities, nor does it claim that Austin is better than City X, Y or Z.

It's simply a way to foster a collective identity among Austin's residents...it's actually pretty cool. I fail to see how it's silly or pretentious.
Really? Doesn't seem like it's me who needs to get their knickers out of a twist. lol If you've followed posts at all on this forum, you know that I like Austin. I've lived here for 42 years. Maybe that's why I think this slogan is pretentious. In the early 70s, yeah, I thought Austin was weird. But so was much of the nation. wag more, bark less...just sayin'

Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Really? Doesn't seem like it's me who needs to get their knickers out of a twist. lol If you've followed posts at all on this forum, you know that I like Austin. I've lived here for 42 years. Maybe that's why I think this slogan is pretentious. In the early 70s, yeah, I thought Austin was weird. But so was much of the nation. wag more, bark less...just sayin'
Yeah, I edited out that first statement...it was a little harsh. Sometimes it's difficult to remember to follow my own username

I'm just imagining Migol84 seeing the bumper sticker on my cooler at the park, coming up to me and telling me to "shut up already".

Kidding. Anyway, I see what you're saying. And I do know you like Austin.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Yeah, I edited out that first statement...it was a little harsh. Sometimes it's difficult to remember to follow my own username

I'm just imagining Migol84 seeing the bumper sticker on my cooler at the park, coming up to me and telling me to "shut up already".

Kidding. Anyway, I see what you're saying. And I do know you like Austin.
No worries. Austin has its own vibe. It's subtle and something I can't describe. You just know you're here. I like it. I just want it to remain a natural vibe.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Read most of the responses and there are some good reasons in there.

One that I didn't notice that I think is a huge reason is how Austin is so centralized. Sure there are other parts of the town, but not like other cities have. DFW has lots of other area, and everything in Houston is everywhere all over the city except the downtown. lol. That Austin is so centralized into the central city I think brings everyone together really well. While you goto one part of Houston for this, or another part of Houston for that, or people interested in one thing go to one area and people with other interest goto different areas, Austin really isn't like that. Everything and everyone is drawn to the downtown which makes for a much busier and richer experience with people of all sorts of interest doing all sorts of things.

There are millions of other great things about the city, but in the few responses I read on page one I saw most of them mentioned.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Both Dallas and Houston have live music venues and college sports. Of course, both cities have REAL professional sports, so the need to obcess over pee wee college sports isn't so high.
I prefer college sports over pro. The multi-billion NCAA isn't "pee wee" by any means.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Either Montrose isn't what it used to be decades ago, or I've been going to the wrong places for the past 10 years. Don't get me wrong, out of the countless neighborhoods in Houston, Montrose is one of the more interesting ones. But I didn't get the impression that some in this thread have of the area. Many of the "funky" shops (mostly antiques) referenced are really just rundown outlets with a lot of fake "antiques". I recently (few months ago) went on a Montrose-area shopping excursion with a local friend and was slightly disappointed (although we did grab a few gems with definitely made it worth it).

Houston in general beats all of Texas in the number and variety of restaurants. There is NO arguing that. If I still lived in Houston I'd be morbidly obese.

And Richmond? That street became very shady a long time ago. Used to be great - not so much now.

I guess the big difference between Austin and Houston (and probably Dallas and San Antonio) is that due to size or whatever, Austin "culture" is more dominant whereas you have to locate little "enclaves" to find a distinct and unique culture in the other larger metros. That's a no-brainer, but needed saying.

And Maaaaarvin Ziiiiiindler, EYE WITNESS NEWS!, is a Houston relic in its own right.

Edit: While we're dissecting Houston neighborhoods, my absolute favorite and the one that reminds me most of Austin is the Rice University / Med Center area. Gorgeous tree lined streets, Hermann Park, Rice, etc. I wish Austin had a great zoo and the museums in that area of Houston. If I had to live in Houston, I'd choose the Rice area (if I could afford it).

Last edited by thesonofgray; 07-27-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin