Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

392 posts, read 749,314 times

Advertisements

This is another thread that makes me wonder why some people forget about San Antonio. This is a large city too, and it offers quite a few things the others offer. San Antonio admittedly is pretty blue collar, but it's not like it doesn't have any good opportunities. The nightlife is good here and it's got the typical large city cultural amenities, not to mention tourist attractions like Six Flags and Sea World. Folks refer to it like it's as flat as Houston and Dallas, but it's on the edge of the Hill Country as well, and has lots of scenic beauty. The primary difference I see in the Alamo City is that it's more heavily Hispanic than Houston, Dallas, and Austin, but so what?

One thing's for sure, San Antonio's got the best traffic out of all the big Texas cities. It makes it easy to get around to all the city amenities and to the outdoorsy things you can do here, like canoe or tube down a nice river, hang out on Canyon Lake, go climbing down into a big cave, hike, bike, etc... Oh yeah, it's relatively cheap here too, although property taxes ain't no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Austin is not necessarily "better" than Houston or Dallas. And really, you are comparing apples to oranges. Houston and Dallas AND San Antonio are big ol' cities / metroplexes, and have been for ages. Austin is relatively new to the "larger" city status and certainly is not in competition as far as MSAs go.

There is not a larger "creative class" in Austin than Houston or Dallas or SA......well, I highly, highly doubt it! Actually, that's pretty funny.....

As a veteran driver of the Katy Fwy, and Central Expy., to me, Austin traffic is not that bad with the exception of I-35 (which, thank goodness, I rarely have to drive on.) Austin does, however, have an odd piecemeal / patchwork of freeways / tollways / highways. Again, I think the sudden growth, and topography, etc. has something to do with it......not just poor planning. Planning can only get you so far, then there are all the other factors. (I know first-hand what was involved with the expansion of the Katy Fwy.)

Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
One thing's for sure, San Antonio's got the best traffic out of all the big Texas cities. It makes it easy to get around to all the city amenities and to the outdoorsy things you can do here, like canoe or tube down a nice river, hang out on Canyon Lake, go climbing down into a big cave, hike, bike, etc... Oh yeah, it's relatively cheap here too, although property taxes ain't no joke.
Hmm actually thats interesting

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Austin has a vibe, like what you get in New Orleans or San Francisco. It has a quirky and unique character that intrigues people. People move here because they want to, not because they have to (like in Dallas/Houston).

We have that college town feel, and who doesn't wax nostalgically about their college days? We also have a terrain that is far more interesting than either Houston or Dallas. We have a natural spring going right through our downtown (Barton Springs). Could you imagine Dallas or Houston having that? No way!

This town has always been settled by people with a bigger purpose, people who see the forest through the trees, who understand what living is. That my friend is why Austin is more desirable than Houston and Dallas.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
cBach's in love

But really, people who don't think Austin is actually better (just different) could turn the tables and say things the other cities have that Austin doesn't. Houston and Dallas aren't without their college scenes and as gross as the Bayou may have been in Houston at one time, it's actually been and is being cleaned up and people now kayak it, take canoe and boat trips down it, etc....There's even a bat colony. And Gulf Coasters could brag that the capital of Texas used to be on their edge of the state, even though it eventually ended up being Austin. I wouldn't say people who don't reside in Austin don't understand what living is or don't have a bigger purpose in life; Austin doesn't hold a patent on that. I'm not being an Austin hater, but I don't hate other Texas cities either

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Austin has a vibe, like what you get in New Orleans or San Francisco. It has a quirky and unique character that intrigues people.
San Francisco? meh! Don't get me wrong... it's a great city and plenty more to offer than Austin but boy I just hope Austin never ever ever gets like it is here. People are rude and there's none of this "laid back" vibe that everyone talks about. I'd like for Austin to keep the same vibe for decades to come.

And forget the quirkiness! Not sure how New orleans fares, but SF's quirkiness is just isolated to the neighborhoods rather than its downtown. Downtown San Francisco is dull and boring, unless you go to North Beach or Chinatown.... but the cool and quirky parts about SF are all in the neighborhoods. Austin's quirkiness is in the heart of downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. I dunno... I just don't know how to describe it and why I prefer Austin's overall lifestyle and vibe. it's weird because there are plenty of negatives that can be said of Austin, but I just don't care about them. Or the negatives simply were not much of a bother to me because it did not affect my way of life. It depends entirely on the person.... and all I know is that I hope Austin never copies any other city in anything (unless its in progressiveness). I like it just the way it is and where its headed.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Austin has a vibe, like what you get in New Orleans or San Francisco. It has a quirky and unique character that intrigues people. People move here because they want to, not because they have to (like in Dallas/Houston).

We have that college town feel, and who doesn't wax nostalgically about their college days? We also have a terrain that is far more interesting than either Houston or Dallas. We have a natural spring going right through our downtown (Barton Springs). Could you imagine Dallas or Houston having that? No way!

This town has always been settled by people with a bigger purpose, people who see the forest through the trees, who understand what living is. That my friend is why Austin is more desirable than Houston and Dallas.
You know, thats one of the things that I kind of got from it too, though I've never actually been there. Just doing my best at researching(right word?) it seems to be something I've gotten too. Beautiful explanation btw

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
I like Austin, it's been my home for a long, long time. But, I think San Antonio comes closer to a vibe like New Orleans. I don't the uniqueness in Austin to the degree it exists in those two cities.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I like Austin, it's been my home for a long, long time. But, I think San Antonio comes closer to a vibe like New Orleans. I don't the uniqueness in Austin to the degree it exists in those two cities.
Yeah, I can definitely see that... although I've never been to New Orleans. Austin's uniqueness is just that... unique. It can't be compared!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Well, for uniqueness and quirkiness......I'm going to have to go with San Antone, with Houston a very close second.

One thing about Houston.....it is very diverse and ethnic. (There used to be some hole-in-the-wall restaurant down around the Ship Channel where Greek sailors would come to off their ships and drink and dance the night away and engage everyone in the joint......Now, you don't get THAT in Austin or Dallas.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin