Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times

Advertisements

My CD changer jammed 2 days ago. Thank heavens for Sirius. My car is a 2004 so no Aux input for my iPod.

I do have a cassette player, however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Are there still people who listen to terrestrial radio?? If there are, which one of you has been living under a rock for the past decade?

The last time I listened to Terrestrial radio I was still living in Kansas City. From what I have heard, nearly all stations in most markets are owned by a handful of big corporations. The music is pretty much the same 20-30 song playlist in every market.

Sirius/XM!! You'll never go back......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinballGalactica View Post
Is it just me, or is the Austin radio terrible? For such a big city for live-music, you'd think we'd have some awesome radio stations for back up. But god, I'm so jealous of other major metropolitans, which have a nice, clean selection of radio stations.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Are there still people who listen to terrestrial radio?? If there are, which one of you has been living under a rock for the past decade?

The last time I listened to Terrestrial radio I was still living in Kansas City. From what I have heard, nearly all stations in most markets are owned by a handful of big corporations. The music is pretty much the same 20-30 song playlist in every market.

That's why Austin radio is good. It's not all owned by Clear Channel. Unless something has changed in the last couple years.

A lot of the music I listen to now is stuff I first heard on the radio in Austin.

In fact 100% of the country music I listen to I heard on the radio in Austin or Maui, because I hate that Nashville crap they play on the big business stations. I would have no idea who Ryan Bingham was if they didn't play him on MauiFM, and the guy is from 45 min away from where I lived in Houston. Same with Rodney Crowell, the Houston Kid.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,672 times
Pretty bad stations here which I find surprising. All I can say is thank goodness for XM.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

Sat radio costs money. Terrestrial radio is free. That is a good enough reason for me to put up with the bad selection.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Sat radio costs money. Terrestrial radio is free. That is a good enough reason for me to put up with the bad selection.
True, but if you really love music and it's your favorite form of entertainment, $13 per month is nothing for satellite radio. I'd cancel cable TV before I would give up my music subscriptions (SiriusXM/Spotify). I have to add that Sirius/XM customer service is possibly the worst that I've ever encountered, but their actual product/service is so good that we put up with the poor customer service. Trying to cancel Sirius/XM service can be a painful experience if you ever have to do it.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
True, but if you really love music and it's your favorite form of entertainment, $13 per month is nothing for satellite radio. I'd cancel cable TV before I would give up my music subscriptions (SiriusXM/Spotify). I have to add that Sirius/XM customer service is possibly the worst that I've ever encountered, but their actual product/service is so good that we put up with the poor customer service. Trying to cancel Sirius/XM service can be a painful experience if you ever have to do it.
If you have a smartphone, you can use any of several audio apps for static free reception for free. I use Pandora for favorite artists and genres. TuneIn and Reciva apps are great for news and talk programming. Here is how to cancel Sirius/XM without grief of the retention department. Tell them you are moving to Mexico so won't be able to use it any longer. They will probably say the signal extends down there (true) but technically it is against international law to knowingly provide the service to residents down there. A gentle reminder of this will result in immediate cancellation. I have done this twice in the past when satellite radio was the state of the art. Now I find it to be too expensive for programming that can be obtained for free.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
If you have a smartphone, you can use any of several audio apps for static free reception for free. I use Pandora for favorite artists and genres.
Pandora is alright, but Spotify actually lets you choose what you want to listen to. You can listen to an entire album from a specific artist if you want and you can't do that with Pandora. It's worth the $10 per month to get it on your smartphone. It is going to put a serious dent in the use of Pandora.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Radio stations in Austin are ridiculous.

...especially for the Jazz/R&B/Hip Hop crowd.

I would die without XM.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
I am a sirus/XM subscriber, but also listen to slacker and pandora as well. It is true, that you still must deal with probably 5 minutes of commercials per hour with slacker and pandora (assuming you don't pay the monthly fee), but overall the quality of music is great! Terrestial radio is in "SIRIUS" trouble and probably won't even exist in 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Radio stations in Austin are ridiculous.

...especially for the Jazz/R&B/Hip Hop crowd.

I would die without XM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin