Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to train my son to ride a bike here in Steiner Ranch without training wheels, but it is so hilly here it's been a disaster. I'm looking for a very large parking lot, that is extremely flat (no slope at all) and where there is no traffic in it at all. When I grew up in Louisiana, we used to go to an old airforce base and I learned how to ride a bike on an old runway. I learned how to drive there too. I was thinking about something along those lines. I want to eliminate the gradient factor and I don't want cars crisscrossing the lot either. Is there anything like that here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
How about go to one of your local schools? They're still out for the summer and while there may be some staff there Mon-Thu, it should be pretty deserted on weekends, evenings and Fridays.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,761 times
That's what we did. The RRISD technology center that has a big parking lot with a small slope. The small slope helped a lot with getting my son to start pedaling from a stand still.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
we used to go to an old airforce base and I learned how to ride a bike on an old runway.
Depending on HOW old, that could also provide good sprint/interval training!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Thanks - I'll check the parking lots at the local schools. I believe that they are not flat but I'll check. Great advice.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Thanks - I'll check the parking lots at the local schools. I believe that they are not flat but I'll check. Great advice.
Or, if not the very most local school (if you're in a hilly area, for example), then I'm sure you could drive to one nearby and find a flat-ish parking lot. High schools will tend to have more parking lots to accommodate student drivers.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,459 times
We just went through this stage with my oldest who was petrified to take off her training wheels.
A family friend gave us a great piece of advice - he taught all of his kids to ride on the grass first. They go slower, so they're not as scared and if they fall off, there are no skinned knees. A local school should have a flat grassy area near their playground or a soccer field that isn't in use.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,761 times
I have seen people teaching their kids at the middle school track. That surface is spongy and flat. It's perfect!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM

116 posts, read 212,978 times
I recently watched some videos on youtube regarding teaching a kid to ride a bike. There were several that recommended and showed how to teach your child on a grassy, gently sloped hill. As the earlier poster said, it's slower and safer - not as scary, and they can build a little momentum.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Please make sure the child knows to look where they're going. From what I've seen just in our neighborhood, the tendency as they pull away that first time is to look back for Mom and Dad's approval--bars and front wheel follow...almost a guaranteed face-plant .

Then, please make sure that they understand that leaning the bike slightly is what will make it change direction...no longer will they need/want to turn the handlebars in order to turn the bike when moving...avoiding another face plant.

Another 'transition' is moving away from needing both feet on the pedals to start. The kids get used to sitting on a stable bike and getting their feet set in a perfect position. Once they realize that they can propel the bike with one foot(either) and THEN put the other foot on, it makes that dreaded dead start a lot easier(the slight down slope will also help) .

On the other hand, a young lady fell toward me at the beginning of a Mellow Johnny's ride a couple of weeks ago(we hadn't started yet). I figured she was having trouble 'un-clipping' from her road pedals...until I realized she was wearing sneaks and using flat platform pedals . She just froze and forgot to put her foot down!

Band-aids, helmet, elbow pads, ice pack, patience, humor...am I forgetting anything? Have fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: