Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

45 posts, read 132,341 times

Advertisements

We are a couple moving from California to Austin in a month and are on the look out for an apartment to rent. Should be making a home finding trip in a week, so any information appreciated.

>> Need to be within a commutable distance of Dell/Round Rock. Preferably 20-25 minutes maximum in the morning and evenings (~10 miles or less). There seems to be lot of posts on bad traffic in Austin, so picking an area has been confusing so far.

>> Day care and school districts etc is NOT a criteria, we do not have any children. Not yet .

>> Large safe apartment communities preferred. Some walking trail or park nearby would be nice but not a must.

>> Need to be in a safe and reasonably active area in terms of shops and restaurants. So we are thinking of living somewhere in Austin rather than Round rock (somewhere south-east/south-west of Dell/Round Rock).

We were looking at some places on the east side of I-35 in pfugerville area but there seems to lot of empty land there which is a little unsettling. Jollyvile area (between hwy 183 and 1) looks like a good area in this regard, at least based on our research. Would that be right?

We are looking at Riata Apartments as an option since it looks like a bustling community. Any idea what the commute is like from there to Dell? I do read Hwy 1 has lot of traffic (~10 miles) but wanted to know if it is really bad from Riata to dell. How is "Riata Trace Parkway > MCNEIL ROAD > Hesters Crodding Rd > dell way" route (8.5 mi). It is hard to guess for us from the map .

ANY OTHER APARTMENT AND AREA SUGGESTIONS?

We are in touch with an agent who will be assisting us but wanted to come up with a probable apartment list ourselves before we make our home finding trip in a week.

Thanks everyone! We are excited about our Austin move .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 8,952 times
You are reverse commute to RR from Austin so as long as you don't go too far south commute won't be a problem. Jollyville/Arboretum should be under 20 min. Can't speak to the apt complexes but that area is a good mid-point to your work and downtown with a lot of retail.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,208 times
I am moving to Round Rock next week. I have a friend who lives down there already and she says that Riata is a beautiful area.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:41 AM

Thanks a lot soxfan10 and malone7384 for the information and the quick response. Appreciate it!

Will wait for some input from others on any other recommendations for apartments. We are planning to visit Austin in a week to look around for places.

BTW, this forum really ROCKS! Just came across it last week. Unbelievable sharing of information and community spirit.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM

126 posts, read 788,818 times
I would check out Madison at Walnut Creek. Is close to I-35. Close to HEB and tons of other shopping complexes. Has a huge park right next to it. Of course, the only issue might be safety. However, though there have been a few incidents in this area, the apartment community itself is gated.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM

44 posts, read 100,773 times
My SO and I moved here about 4 months ago and also commute to Dell. We chose to live downtown - it's about 20-25min in the morning and a little more in the afternoon depending on luck and timing. We found we'd rather drive the additional 10min each day and then have the lake, whole foods, 2nd street district, barton springs, etc. all in biking/walking distance.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Thank you both for the information! So it does look like it is a 20-30 minute commute from Jollyville and not as bad as we expected.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
From Riata area to Dell I would estimate 20 minutes with tolls 30 minutes without most days. There are several fairly nice apartment complexes closer to Dell, lots of shopping and stuff right there and its safe but a bit of a boring area. I would still check it out anyway since living close to work has advantages especially if you own a bicycle. Some apartments around there may be considered Austin others Round Rock or Pflugerville.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks a lot everyone for all your suggestions. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin