U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:57 PM

27 posts, read 80,632 times

Advertisements

We just found out that we can get an incredible deal on housing materials if we build our own home. It would save us a ton of money - and we can do a lot of the finishing work.

SO, I've been out on REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale checking out land around San Antonio and Austin and everywhere in between. (We're in Iowa now.)

There seems to be a boatload of land near Leander. I've also interested in the Lake Travis areas. We need to be 30 minutes away from northwest Austin (78717) for work OR we even have an option of working out of Bee Cave. But, we still would like to be only 30 minutes away.

We want somewhere family-oriented, safe, and quiet. Maybe an acre or less.
Mostly, we want a great investment opportunity. Any ideas - or other places we should look?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

6,213 posts, read 16,206,119 times
What's your price range for purchasing land to build on?

Quote:
We just found out that we can get an incredible deal on housing materials if we build our own home.
My inner skeptic tells me there must be a catch. If it's too good to be true, it's probably not true. What sort of "incredible deal" are you getting and how much per square foot will it save you on the total finished home construction costs?

Steve

Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM

I'd say less than $40,000 - more if it's a great investment - but, we'd have to see. I'm not sure what is realistic.

My husband works for a building supplies dealer. If you are an employee, on your first project - you get 10% over costs for materials, and all special order items - cabinetry, counter tops, appliances, etc.

We're figuring the costs now - and it looks like quite a deal. Especially since we can do almost all the finish work ourselves past the roughing-in stage.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,387,369 times
There's a boatload of land anywhere North of RR (Round Rock). Not more than 3-5 years ago, these little towns were pretty much 2 stoplights and cornfields. I think Leander may be just a little more than 30 minutes away from Austin, but not too terribly bad. Lake Travis areas may be a little harder to get into central austin from.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,387,369 times
My husband and I have been doing some homework, and you can find quite a few lots for under 40,000.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM

15 posts, read 42,354 times
Hi--I don't know if you have found your answer yet..but the zip code you gave is in the Brushy Creek area, which is pretty far up north Austin, so Leander should be well within the 30 minute mark. There is a lot of inexpensive land in Leander, and the city is growing rather rapidly.
I guess it just depends on what you want to see when you look out your back door. There are some really pretty 1 acre lots in a golf course subdivision called Crystal Falls--if you haven't found them already--but they are going to be about twice the price or more of what you mentioned above. However, they also come with panoramic hill country or golf course views, which can do wonders when it comes to resale values.
As far as Lake Travis, if you look close to the north shore, maybe use Volente instead of Austin for your search, you might find some non-lake view lots for around $60k..might even find a third floor lake view lot for less than $100k..but they will most likely be less than an acre.
One other consideration might be Lago Vista, which is a lake community on the north side of Lake Travis, but I have never driven from Lago to North Austin during morning or evening commute, so it might be pushing 30 minutes. However, they have a TON of lots for $40k or less, and some of them have some pretty astonishing views. Hope that helps a little!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:26 AM

1,234 posts, read 3,883,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweatherplz View Post
What's going on in Leander?
Absolutely nothing, which is why you see all the cheap homes/land

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
THAT was what I was thinking!
Do you think anything might happen there in the next 10 years?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM

6,213 posts, read 16,206,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Actually, Leander is getting the first leg of the new commuter rail. I don't know when it will start running or if it will positively impact the area or not.

Retailers and developers like the demographics of Leander and believe it's hit "critical mass" as far as growing up and beyond being just a bedroom community. The commuting times have been cut with the new freeways.

I think it has a bright future.

Steve

Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,160,784 times
Steve's right. With the tollways, the trip from Leander to the Brushy Creek area is under 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin