U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 AM

9 posts, read 9,270 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Thanks to the forum in part I pulled the trigger and moved to Austin. Its been a few weeks and I LOVE it. I've already met lots of people, and I love the overall vibe (and amazingly I've learned to deal with the heat!)

Part of the reason I moved from the East Coast was all the amazing outdoors right at the doorstep of the City. I am interested in joining some sort of club (I don't know enough people yet who will pick up and hike with me). I did see something called HCO (hill country outdoors) online, however I'm a little concerned that I might be a little on the young side overall for that group. Im a 29 year old/young guy and while I enjoy the company of adults of all ages, I also do enjoy my own age group and would prefer people in my age range or stage of life range (say 24-35yrs oldish). Is there any group like this that goes on hikes/ rafting/ boat trips/ etc? Is HCO okay for me?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,381,896 times
Just by looking at HCO on meetup.com, it looks like their members are all ages. If you haven't gone to Meetup.com and typed in hiking as a search, you should do that now and you'll be able see multiple hiking meetup groups. Good luck.

Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup

Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 AM

518 posts, read 641,739 times
I don't know that you should say you've learned to deal with the heat quite yet.

I grew up in Alaska, and Texas summers are just like Alaska winters...it isn't actually the intensity that gets you down, it is the length. This year it was too hot to be outside in the end of March, and it will be too hot to be outside in the beginning of October.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 10,238 times
I just moved here as well. Meetup.com is definitely the way to go. All ages and a great selection of folks doing things outdoors. very handy to be able to find groups by activity. I feel the same way about the heat as you do - just stay hydrated and pay attention to sun exposure and make the most of being in a nice climate. I am outside at all hours of the day when I can be and other than a little preparation, do not fuss about the temperatures regardless of the activity.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM

625 posts, read 555,728 times
I have been quietly reading Austin forums for a while. I have lived in the East Coast for the last 13 years but contemplating moving to Texas because the East Coast cold is just too much lately, even here in Richmond, VA (which has relatively mild winter compared to up North)! I am very much into hiking and one of the concerns I have is there aren't many hiking options/good mountains around Austin/Texas area (or am I wrong about that? Trust me, I would LOVE to be proved wrong!!) !! I am glad you started this thread. I am going to bookmark it and follow the discussion, also will check on meetup I guess.

I am a 30-year old and while I like Richmond, it is getting a bit boring (and cold) and I am just looking for some new adventures !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebluegreen View Post
Hi,

Thanks to the forum in part I pulled the trigger and moved to Austin. Its been a few weeks and I LOVE it. I've already met lots of people, and I love the overall vibe (and amazingly I've learned to deal with the heat!)

Part of the reason I moved from the East Coast was all the amazing outdoors right at the doorstep of the City. I am interested in joining some sort of club (I don't know enough people yet who will pick up and hike with me). I did see something called HCO (hill country outdoors) online, however I'm a little concerned that I might be a little on the young side overall for that group. Im a 29 year old/young guy and while I enjoy the company of adults of all ages, I also do enjoy my own age group and would prefer people in my age range or stage of life range (say 24-35yrs oldish). Is there any group like this that goes on hikes/ rafting/ boat trips/ etc? Is HCO okay for me?

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM

8,633 posts, read 16,258,428 times
Austin doesn't have mountains, just hills.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM

14,426 posts, read 20,785,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Austin doesn't have mountains, just hills.
But there are still a lot of great places to go hiking. I name a few that are close by below. Many of them are state and county parks where you can camp if you like.

McKinney Falls
Enchanted Rock
Pedernales Falls
TPWD: Hill Country Travel Region

Bastrop & Buescher State Parks, right next to each other with connecting trails.
Colorado Bend State Park
Palmetto State Park
TPWD: Prairies & Lakes Travel Region

There are YouTube movies of a lot of the state parks here ‪TexasParksWildlife's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Hamilton's Pool
Reimers Ranch
Wild Basin
Pace Bend
TNR Parks in Travis County, Texas

There are 50 miles of trails in the City of Austin Hike and Bike system.
City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department: Park Directory

Also near by:

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=21561

Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 PM

3,669 posts, read 2,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I don't know that you should say you've learned to deal with the heat quite yet.

I grew up in Alaska, and Texas summers are just like Alaska winters...it isn't actually the intensity that gets you down, it is the length. This year it was too hot to be outside in the end of March, and it will be too hot to be outside in the beginning of October.
I don't agree with that. It was nice up until end of May. It will be nice in October as well. But I'm not from Alaska, I'm sure you have different standards.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 PM

625 posts, read 555,728 times
Thanks for hte info CptRn, this looks promising !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
But there are still a lot of great places to go hiking. I name a few that are close by below. Many of them are state and county parks where you can camp if you like.

McKinney Falls
Enchanted Rock
Pedernales Falls
TPWD: Hill Country Travel Region

Bastrop & Buescher State Parks, right next to each other with connecting trails.
Colorado Bend State Park
Palmetto State Park
TPWD: Prairies & Lakes Travel Region

There are YouTube movies of a lot of the state parks here ‪TexasParksWildlife's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Hamilton's Pool
Reimers Ranch
Wild Basin
Pace Bend
TNR Parks in Travis County, Texas

There are 50 miles of trails in the City of Austin Hike and Bike system.
City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department: Park Directory

Also near by:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin