Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,606 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Austin suburb area from Long Island, NY and hear that Cedar Park is a very nice place to live, especially for families with children (good schol districts, low crime rate, clean, family friendly activities/parks, etc). Can anyone verify this information? We are trying to narrow down a suburb before taking a site visit.
We want to move to a warmer climate, but not too humid. I am hearing conflicting information about the climate in that area, some say hot and dry and others say hot and humid. Can someone clarify what the summers are like?
If anyone lives in/around Cedar Park, can you provide any additional information about the town? Cost of living, property taxes, crime, ease of driving to Austin (traffic), is it a suburb to a major city feel, or more like a quaint small town feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johara View Post
I am looking to move to the Austin suburb area from Long Island, NY and hear that Cedar Park is a very nice place to live, especially for families with children (good schol districts, low crime rate, clean, family friendly activities/parks, etc). Can anyone verify this information? We are trying to narrow down a suburb before taking a site visit.
We want to move to a warmer climate, but not too humid. I am hearing conflicting information about the climate in that area, some say hot and dry and others say hot and humid. Can someone clarify what the summers are like?
If anyone lives in/around Cedar Park, can you provide any additional information about the town? Cost of living, property taxes, crime, ease of driving to Austin (traffic), is it a suburb to a major city feel, or more like a quaint small town feel?
I live on the edge of Cedar Park and Round Rock and it's a great place to raise a family. To answer you questions:

Cost of living - Housing cost is much lower than the family areas of Austin. Overall cost of living aside from housing is probably similar to what you're used to. Cost of housing is a big enough difference.

Property taxes - Property taxes are a fairly high percentage of your home value compared to other areas. In Cedar Park, you'll be looking in the range of 2.4% to 2.9% total. However, that percentage will be on a less expensive house (ie. between $180K to $300K).

Crime - Very low

Ease of driving to Austin - Depends on where you live in Cedar Park, where you're driving to in Austin, and whether or not you're willing to pay for the toll road (the toll road doesn't help out a ton, but it helps a bit). Definitely expect to be sitting in traffic if you have to commute during rush hour. The rule would be, don't live in Cedar Park if you work South of the river (Town Lake).

-suburb to a major city feel, or more like a quaint small town feel? Not quite either. It's definitely its own self-contained city. There are many families that live in Cedar Park that rarely go into the city of Austin for anything. It's also far from a quaint, small town.

It sounds like you would be happy with Cedar Park from your list of wants. Depending on your price range and your job location, there are also many other nice areas that surround Austin as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM

293 posts, read 730,344 times
If you're driving into Austin from Cedar Park via 183/Mopac during rush hour then do a test run of your drive during those hours while you're visiting. You may want to kill yourself.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,043 times
Its hot and dry in the Austin area but not Vegas or Phoenix dry. Cedar Park is a good place for family as any Austin suburb would be. If your job is anywhere in North Austin your commute wont be bad but there will be a fair amount of traffic on most days. Off hours, evenings and weekends are typically light traffic. CP is its own city but its also the suburbs and has all of the stores and fast food type places you might need along with nice parks, library etc.. Unlike Austin if you have business to do with the city they are typically fast and friendly.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
I live in Cedar Park.

There is some humidity here but it is not too humid, not too dry, just HOT as hell. L.I. is the most humid place I have ever been in my life so I imagine any place would be better if you are trying to get away from humidity.

Crime is low.

Cost of living: Compared to Austin houses are cheaper but utilities are more expensive. Property taxes are high. I think in CP something like 2.8%. Houses are generally inexpensive compared to populated areas of the N.E. but you get what you pay for. Quality is low.

Cedar Parks feel is basically just sprawl from Austin. It doesn't really feel much like a town unto itself with it's own history.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Don't freak out about the property taxes as we don't have a state income tax so in most cases, it's a much better deal!

Cedar Park is great for families, and so is Round Rock. They kinda blend together. Part of Cedar Park goes to Round Rock schools.

Depending on your price point, Steiner Ranch would also be a really good option for family orientated stuff with good schools. They have 3 exemplary elementary schools on site in addition to a middle school. (the high school is not on-sight)

When are you planning a visit? What's your time frame?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
If you're driving into Austin from Cedar Park via 183/Mopac during rush hour then do a test run of your drive during those hours while you're visiting. You may want to kill yourself.
He is coming from NY. Our traffic is nothing compared to that. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin