U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,002,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Is that a bad area of town, or just random? Seems like there was a high AA contingency in that video, I'm just saying that because I was under the impression there is generally a much larger number of Hispanics in Austin.
Alcoholics Anonymous?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM

110 posts, read 138,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Alcoholics Anonymous?
That too

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM

285 posts, read 283,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Just curious....I'm not a police officer nor do I know much about law enforcements, so I'm just asking.

Is it possible to have a police officer or two posted in the parking lot at the corner of 6th and 35? I know resources are limited and other duties might call, but would this possibly help deter this type of crime?
I don't know why there aren't cops stationed there when the bars close. I remember that APD generally kept a large and visible presence along 6th but the amount of officers would taper off as you moved east, and by the time you were two blocks from I-35 there would be no cops in sight, despite the huge crowds of people. A lot of the crowd near 6th and I-35 (especially at those gas stations) would be young teenagers just looking for trouble. That never has been a good area to be in late at night.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Is that a bad area of town, or just random? Seems like there was a high AA contingency in that video, I'm just saying that because I was under the impression there is generally a much larger number of Hispanics in Austin.
The bars on 6th draw a large Hispanic crowd, too, but that particular area of 6th has some bars/clubs that cater more to the AA crowd. Also, the nearby neighborhoods across I-35 have historically been the center of the AA community in Austin, although much less so now due to gentrification. Those nearby neighborhoods aren't bad areas, but that part of downtown is. There is also a large homeless shelter nearby and a tremendous amount of drug dealing activity in the area.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
I don't know why there aren't cops stationed there when the bars close. I remember that APD generally kept a large and visible presence along 6th but the amount of officers would taper off as you moved east, and by the time you were two blocks from I-35 there would be no cops in sight, despite the huge crowds of people. A lot of the crowd near 6th and I-35 (especially at those gas stations) would be young teenagers just looking for trouble. That never has been a good area to be in late at night.
Austin is 278 square miles and is home to 790,000 people. The police department staffs about 1400 cops. Of these there are patrolmen, detectives ad a dozen other special units that include the following:

Air Enforcement Team
Bomb Squad
District Representatives
Highway Enforcement Unit
License & Weights Enforcement
Motorcycle Unit
Mounted Patrol
Recruiting Unit
Executive Protection Unit
Metro- Tactical Unit
S.W.A.T. Gold Team (Reserve Team)
SRT (Special Response Team)
Bicycle Patrol
Homeland Defense Team
DWI Unit
S.W.A.T.
Training Division
K-9 Unit
Walking Beat (Downtown District)
Fugitive Apprehension Unit
Intelligence Unit
Career Criminal Unit
Crisis Intervention Team
Dive Team
Critical Incident (Hostage) Negotiation Team

Now with the patrolmen that are left over staff a 278 squre mile city with 790,000 residents(not to mention the influx from tourism downtown)with adequate coverage 24/7. You figure out how to have that staff handle 2,200 incidents a day and also keep crime from occurring and I think there would be some folks that would probably be interested in giving you a pretty competitive job offer.

They can be found here: City of Austin - Police Department

Last edited by Nighthawks11; 08-09-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM

121 posts, read 147,773 times
I've drove down by I35 and sixth street on a weekend night and while sixth street was closed off and packed with partiers, the frontage road along I35 was packed with black people drinking syrup and swerving in and out of traffic in a snake like pattern. Its a Texas hip hop kinda thing.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
Now with the patrolmen that are left over staff a 278 squre mile city with 790,000 residents(not to mention the influx from tourism downtown)with adequate coverage 24/7. You figure out how to have that staff handle 2,200 incidents a day and also keep crime from occurring and I think there would be some folks that would probably be interested in giving you a pretty competitive job offer.
You missed my point. There are dozens of cops down there now every weekend night but they aren't distributing themselves effectively along the corridor. Instead of there being, say, 5-6 cops on each block on 6th near Congress and no cops on each block near I-35, why not have 2-3 cops at every intersection between Congress and I-35? A continuous police presence along 6th would probably do a lot to deter crime. It seems much less an issue with manpower but rather an issue in organization.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

727 posts, read 1,002,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
I've drove down by I35 and sixth street on a weekend night and while sixth street was closed off and packed with partiers, the frontage road along I35 was packed with black people drinking syrup (a) and swerving in and out of traffic in a snake like pattern.(b) Its a Texas hip hop kinda thing.
(a) Sizzurp
(b) Swangin

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
You missed my point. There are dozens of cops down there now every weekend night but they aren't distributing themselves effectively along the corridor. Instead of there being, say, 5-6 cops on each block on 6th near Congress and no cops on each block near I-35, why not have 2-3 cops at every intersection between Congress and I-35? A continuous police presence along 6th would probably do a lot to deter crime. It seems much less an issue with manpower but rather an issue in organization.
The officers downtown are usually gathered the way because of the size of the crowds. Officers have to travel on foot in those crowds. It's also a deterrent. A group of people is much less likely to try to take on 6 cops than 2 or 3. Police officer or not you don't go into an angry, drunk mob with 2 guys. Check out some of the videos of what happens when that crowd gets mean on YouTube and you'll probably see what I mean.

If you would like to see first hand what I am talking about, you should go on a ride along.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
(a) Sizzurp
(b) Swangin
We have nicknames for it too:

(a) possession
(b) reckless driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin