Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to that part of town near that time in 5 years or more, things sure have changed a lot downtown in the past few years. I'm no fan of police or govt intervening in daily life but from the looks of that video nothing good is happening and this area needs tougher enforcement. Street sweepers can also be an effective method of late night crowd control and serve a useful purpose at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
We have nicknames for it too:

(a) possession
(b) reckless driving
Who is we?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
The officers downtown are usually gathered the way because of the size of the crowds. Officers have to travel on foot in those crowds. It's also a deterrent. A group of people is much less likely to try to take on 6 cops than 2 or 3. Police officer or not you don't go into an angry, drunk mob with 2 guys. Check out some of the videos of what happens when that crowd gets mean on YouTube and you'll probably see what I mean.

If you would like to see first hand what I am talking about, you should go on a ride along.
Are there really opportunities for this? (wasn't sure if you were kidding) If so, what are the stipulations?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
(a) Sizzurp
(b) Swangin
Lmao.

That was the most hilarious thing I've read all day. Omg, I busted out laughing at the office.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

110 posts, read 246,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Are there really opportunities for this? (wasn't sure if you were kidding) If so, what are the stipulations?
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/do..._form_2010.doc

Police observers must complete and sign the Request for Approval to Ride in an Austin Police Unit form on the reverse of this sheet. (Please allow 30 days for your ride along to be scheduled)
• NO person under the age of eighteen (18) will be permitted to ride as an observer in a police unit at any time unless the Chief of Police has granted prior approval.
• A warrant and criminal history check are done on all requestors prior to approval being given.
• Police observers may ride a maximum of 1 time per month unless approved in writing by the affected area commander.
• Police observers should appear at the scheduled time. *If the observer arrives after the assigned officer has gone on the street, the observer has the responsibility of rescheduling the riding period to another date.
• Observers will be assigned to ride with officers of the same sex.
The area commander or the on-duty area field lieutenant must approve any opposite sex assignment (including spouses).
• Violation of any portions of the prohibited acts, or dress code, or any behavior that impairs the officer’s ability to perform his/her job, will be considered grounds for being banned from riding.
Dress Code for Police Observers
• Police observers are to dress neatly and conservatively.
• Cleanliness is required at all times.
• Hair and facial hair must be well groomed.
• Shorts and cut-offs are prohibited.
• Clothing bearing any sign or symbol that advertises any product, business or organization will not be permitted
• Clothing with offensive designs, logos, letters or devices is prohibited.
• Conservative type shoes or boots may be worn; sandals and bare feet are prohibited.
Prohibited Acts
• Will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to and during tours of duty;
• Will not use profane or abusive language during the tour of duty;
• Will not engage in excessive conversation, which may distract the officer or interfere with hearing the police radio;
• Will not make remarks or voice opinions to complainants, witnesses, victims, violators or suspects in any manner which would tend to provoke or degrade anyone or escalate tension;
• Will not be allowed into a private residence during the execution of a search or arrest warrant;
• Will not make known to any unauthorized person, information that may compromise a police operation, procedure or investigation that is either in progress or proposed;
• Will not make known to unauthorized persons the identity of persons arrested, persons being confined in jail, or suspects in a criminal act;
• Will not use information learned during a tour of duty for personal gain;
• Will not carry weapons of any type. Observers possessing a permit to carry a concealed weapon will NOT be allowed to carry a weapon during a tour of duty;
• Non-sworn observers do not have any powers of a police officer, and have no authority except when acting at the direction of a police officer.
Police observers will:
• At all times conduct themselves with proper decorum.
• Remain in the police unit during routine traffic stops unless otherwise directed by an officer.
• Remain in or near the police unit during disturbance calls and calls of a serious nature in order to summon assistance by radio if needed, unless otherwise directed by an officer.

In consideration of being allowed to accompany Austin Police Officers on official patrols and otherwise participate in the Police Observer program:
I, the undersigned, binding my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns to hereby release and agree not to hold liable, the City of Austin, its officers, agents, and employees and especially *_____________________________________ from any and all actions, causes of action, claims, demands, costs or damages arising from or resulting from property damage, personal injuries or death sustained by me or my property while participating in the Police Observer program. *I further agree, binding my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns to indemnify, hold and save harmless the City of Austin, its officers, agents, and employees and especially the above named employee, from any liability, action claim, damage, award or judgement incurred or suffered by the above city or individuals as a result of any act or omission by me or caused in whole or in part by me while participating in the Police Observer Program whether or not also caused in part by a person indemnified hereunder. *In addition, I make the following representations and acknowledgements upon which I intend the City to rely:
1. I understand and agree that while accompanying any police officer during his law enforcement rounds, I am to be only an unarmed lay observer and bystander with no active role whatever and that I will have and am given no duties, rights, powers or authority whatever other than those conferred by law upon any other person in like or similar circumstances as may arise from time to time;
2. I realize and agree that while participating in this program, I will not be an agent, servant or employee of the City of Austin and therefore will not be covered by the City of Austin for any workers’ compensation, death or disability benefits;
3. I realize that as an inherent incident of this program, I will at unpredictable times be placed in both foreseeable and unforeseeable positions of considerable danger and agree that neither the City nor any of its officers or employees shall be obligated to take any steps or action to protect my person or provide a means of withdrawal or retreat for me, and release them of any duty to do so;
4. I agree that any information I may gain through participation in a study program will be used by me only for my personal education purposes except where I am summoned as a witness in any administrative or court proceeding;
5. I understand that my participation in the above named projects is a privilege subject to revocation at any time by the Austin Police Department.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/do..._form_2010.doc

Police observers must complete and sign the Request for Approval to Ride in an Austin Police Unit form on the reverse of this sheet. (Please allow 30 days for your ride along to be scheduled)
• NO person under the age of eighteen (18) will be permitted to ride as an observer in a police unit at any time unless the Chief of Police has granted prior approval.
• A warrant and criminal history check are done on all requestors prior to approval being given.
• Police observers may ride a maximum of 1 time per month unless approved in writing by the affected area commander.
• Police observers should appear at the scheduled time. *If the observer arrives after the assigned officer has gone on the street, the observer has the responsibility of rescheduling the riding period to another date.
• Observers will be assigned to ride with officers of the same sex.
The area commander or the on-duty area field lieutenant must approve any opposite sex assignment (including spouses).
• Violation of any portions of the prohibited acts, or dress code, or any behavior that impairs the officer’s ability to perform his/her job, will be considered grounds for being banned from riding.
Dress Code for Police Observers
• Police observers are to dress neatly and conservatively.
• Cleanliness is required at all times.
• Hair and facial hair must be well groomed.
• Shorts and cut-offs are prohibited.
• Clothing bearing any sign or symbol that advertises any product, business or organization will not be permitted
• Clothing with offensive designs, logos, letters or devices is prohibited.
• Conservative type shoes or boots may be worn; sandals and bare feet are prohibited.
Prohibited Acts
• Will not consume alcoholic beverages prior to and during tours of duty;
• Will not use profane or abusive language during the tour of duty;
• Will not engage in excessive conversation, which may distract the officer or interfere with hearing the police radio;
• Will not make remarks or voice opinions to complainants, witnesses, victims, violators or suspects in any manner which would tend to provoke or degrade anyone or escalate tension;
• Will not be allowed into a private residence during the execution of a search or arrest warrant;
• Will not make known to any unauthorized person, information that may compromise a police operation, procedure or investigation that is either in progress or proposed;
• Will not make known to unauthorized persons the identity of persons arrested, persons being confined in jail, or suspects in a criminal act;
• Will not use information learned during a tour of duty for personal gain;
• Will not carry weapons of any type. Observers possessing a permit to carry a concealed weapon will NOT be allowed to carry a weapon during a tour of duty;
• Non-sworn observers do not have any powers of a police officer, and have no authority except when acting at the direction of a police officer.
Police observers will:
• At all times conduct themselves with proper decorum.
• Remain in the police unit during routine traffic stops unless otherwise directed by an officer.
• Remain in or near the police unit during disturbance calls and calls of a serious nature in order to summon assistance by radio if needed, unless otherwise directed by an officer.

In consideration of being allowed to accompany Austin Police Officers on official patrols and otherwise participate in the Police Observer program:
I, the undersigned, binding my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns to hereby release and agree not to hold liable, the City of Austin, its officers, agents, and employees and especially *_____________________________________ from any and all actions, causes of action, claims, demands, costs or damages arising from or resulting from property damage, personal injuries or death sustained by me or my property while participating in the Police Observer program. *I further agree, binding my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns to indemnify, hold and save harmless the City of Austin, its officers, agents, and employees and especially the above named employee, from any liability, action claim, damage, award or judgement incurred or suffered by the above city or individuals as a result of any act or omission by me or caused in whole or in part by me while participating in the Police Observer Program whether or not also caused in part by a person indemnified hereunder. *In addition, I make the following representations and acknowledgements upon which I intend the City to rely:
1. I understand and agree that while accompanying any police officer during his law enforcement rounds, I am to be only an unarmed lay observer and bystander with no active role whatever and that I will have and am given no duties, rights, powers or authority whatever other than those conferred by law upon any other person in like or similar circumstances as may arise from time to time;
2. I realize and agree that while participating in this program, I will not be an agent, servant or employee of the City of Austin and therefore will not be covered by the City of Austin for any workers’ compensation, death or disability benefits;
3. I realize that as an inherent incident of this program, I will at unpredictable times be placed in both foreseeable and unforeseeable positions of considerable danger and agree that neither the City nor any of its officers or employees shall be obligated to take any steps or action to protect my person or provide a means of withdrawal or retreat for me, and release them of any duty to do so;
4. I agree that any information I may gain through participation in a study program will be used by me only for my personal education purposes except where I am summoned as a witness in any administrative or court proceeding;
5. I understand that my participation in the above named projects is a privilege subject to revocation at any time by the Austin Police Department.
Thank you for the info! It's always nice to see things from another perspective. It'd be very interesting.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
I've had enough friends with bad experiences on 6th St in recent years (a few were even hospitalized) that I don't go there anymore. It's more of a college scene anyway.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM

238 posts, read 365,111 times
Yeah, I have a friend that lives near that area and it is a fairly bad part of town, especially at night. Although, he claims it's slowly been getting better due to police presence and people reporting suspicious activity. Unfortunatley, I don't think much can be done to prevent a random shooting, even if police HQ is right around the block. It all depends on the situation, I guess.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
(a) Sizzurp
(b) Swangin
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of...Nothing good can come out of that. This really reinforces my already vigorous misanthropy.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
Quote:
This area is kind of the perfect storm. You are looking at downtown 6th St on a Saturday night after the bars let out literally thousands of intoxicated patrons. Some are driving drunk and crash. The police have to go to those. Some people want to fight each other. Again, more cops. Other folks want to report their car stolen because they parked it in the tow away zone. More resources. Passed out guy in the alley. Police again.

Crowds will form wherever the cops aren't. Unfortunately most modern forms of policing are reactive. As soon as you finish a call for service, there is another waiting.
I don't really agree with this assessment. The area of this shooting is called "The Wendy's". It's where all the scum congregate every single weekend night. It is not a surprise. Cabs and pedicabs will not go there at the end of the night. I have driven by the gas station/Wendy's there and see fights break out, and this is only about two blocks over on the same street from where several people got shot on 6th street just a month or two ago.

6th street by Congress Ave is fine. Then the further west you go, the more ghetto it gets, until you finally get to the highway and it is scum carrying guns and shooting people. The idea that police can't respond because they just have no idea where to go and have to deal with drunks in alleys...I'd let the passed out guy sleep in the alley and station an officer at "The Wendy's" when this type of crowd congregates every single weekend night.

If there were any decency left in this world this story would spark outrage and there would be crowds at APD headquarters demanding we take our streets back, but hey it didn't happen to me so not my problem. It just amazes me that an honest hard working guy and get shot in the neck on his way to work and no one will care or worry. This isn't Iraq. Or at least, it didn't used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin