Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:12 AM

158 posts, read 581,756 times

Advertisements

Which is more desirable for families of school aged kids? We are re-locating to Ausin, and are researching towns. We are looking for GREEN, beautiful enviornment. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 AM

473 posts, read 1,327,636 times
Steiner!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
For the most part, Round Rock is flat (yes there are a few streets who might have canyon views, but still flat), and Steiner has more terain. Steiner has tons of trees, whereas in some parts (not all) of Round Rock, the trees were scrapped to clear the lots and new trees planted, meaning they'll take a few years to get bigger.

They're both filled with kids, and so is Cedar Park.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Steiner is the safer bet. Seeing that you're from CA, Steiner probably has more of a South OC feel to it. It definitely has a high concentration of former Californians. But, you're comparing a single sub-division to the entire city of Round Rock. Places like Round Rock, Cedar Park, and other areas in and around Austin will provide a wider variety of options. However, if your main goal is to live in a newer home within a very safe neighborhood with good schools and you don't mind the cookie-cutter/bland suburbia feel then Steiner is a good choice.

The commute could be something to look at closely in regards to job locations. Other Steiner like areas to consider on the North side of Austin would be Avery Ranch, Ranch at Brushy Creek, and the surrounding areas. Those areas could be shorter commutes if you work in North Austin.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 AM

74 posts, read 123,035 times
These two areas are a good drive from one another. Your office location should rule out one neighborhood, or your commute will be brutal!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
- Steiner is prettier than Round Rock
- The commute to downtown from Steiner (2222) is better than from Round Rock (either from MoPac - horrible or I-35 - even worse). Also, 2222 is scenic hill country views, I-35 is a traffic clogged industrial corridor.
- You are far closer to the Lakes (Travis/Austin/Town Lake) in Steiner than in Round Rock.
- The schools are equivalent in both places.

Easy decision: Steiner Ranch.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question ~ I appreciate it! Very helpful responses for sure

Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Also, what would a 3-4 bedroom rental house in Steiner Ranch go for? Are there many rental homes there? Do they have nice large apartments if not?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
Also, what would a 3-4 bedroom rental house in Steiner Ranch go for? Are there many rental homes there? Do they have nice large apartments if not?
Steiner currently has 7 rental properties, ranging from $1900-4000 a month. They usually go fairly quickly. The Steiner apartments are not cheap, and they stay pretty full. I had a client needing a 3 bedroom for Aug, and the only available was a 2 bedroom at over $2200 a month. Good thing the sellers on the house they're buying decided they would move out instead of make my buyers do temp housing for 6 weeks.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Steiner currently has 7 rental properties, ranging from $1900-4000 a month. They usually go fairly quickly. The Steiner apartments are not cheap, and they stay pretty full. I had a client needing a 3 bedroom for Aug, and the only available was a 2 bedroom at over $2200 a month. Good thing the sellers on the house they're buying decided they would move out instead of make my buyers do temp housing for 6 weeks.
Yikes! That's pricey. I've always heard you can get more for your money (vs. California) in TX. Maybe it's just Steiner?? Would a rental home in Round Rock or Cedar Park be more economical? Here's the thing: My family bought a cheap place in Cali, and that's just what we got. Unfortunately, it's become a mecca for thugs & whatnots because it's so affordable. We want someplace that not EVERYONE can afford (to weed out the undesirables), but WE need to be able to afford it too, lol. Our price range is about $1,500 mo/ rent. We want the nicest town for what we can afford ~ same as most people, I'm sure. By "nice" I mean the asthetic enviornment is very important to us (green, lakes, trees), social opportunities (recreation), and law abiding citizens (low crime.) Is there such a place that's affordable for us in the Austin area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin