U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM

389 posts, read 344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or, you know, want it. Which could be the bottom line - it's just not important enough to us to want to pay all that for it when we've already got relatively easy access for anyone who is interested in it.

Not every community has to have absolutely everything that anyone could want right there in town, after all.

I think F1, not being the same old same old professional sport, really fits in with the Austin personae better than a pro football team, etc. A professional soccer team would likely be the next closest thing to a fit.

Are you planning on moving to Austin and this is a big priority for you?
Well, I'm looking at my options for the future, I've posted couple times on here about my thoughts between Dallas and Austin, and that is one thing that keeps coming up for me, that and the lack of any museum or botanical gardens or top quality zoos in Austin. I really love everything about Austin besides that. It just seems odd to me How such a top quality city lacks top quality attractions you might even find in lesser cities. But, I've spent a lot of time in San Antonio in the last few years and am in love with the whole central Texas area.

It's just one of those things that would be nice to have in an area, I guess. Feeling like you have a team that belongs to a city that you can call your own. How is the minor league and UT culture in Austin, is it something people follow religiously, or is it something that people just do on a friday night? It would probably be silly to let something like the cultural attractions of a city keep me from wanting to be there if everything else is perfect for me, when all the cultural attractions I would ever want are only 3 hours away, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 AM

8,454 posts, read 16,797,173 times
Austin is still a small city (albeit larger than it was), hence the things you are listing do not really fit in well here. Those are high-dollar items, and in the current economy I just don't see them happening until the tax base is much larger.

Part of the reason that Austin does not have the higher culture type facilities is the proximity to three other major cities in the same state - not even across a state line. It is very easy (and we do it annually) to make a day trip down to the SA Zoo. We take a trip once every year or so down to Galveston to see Moody Gardens. In some ways, it is nice to have them far enough away to make the trips 'special' .

The RR Express does not fill up, but it does draw more than almost any other (maybe all?) minor league team. The games are a lot of fun to go to and the prices are WAY more reasonable than a major league event.

Many, many people follow the longhorns religiously. It is a major turn-off for some people, but they are the current equivalent of a 'pro' team around here.....

Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM

11,915 posts, read 11,392,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Forgot a couple of teams. This is the reason I don't think we need a pro sports team, we have enough of them around us that it seems no one pays attention to here as it is. Maybe if we had a soccer team but didn't we have a team that just left recently?
I meant to include the Mavericks. But I admit that hockey is never on my mind!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Probably a stupid question, but with here being no income tax in TX, where do they increase taxes to generation revenue for such things like the F1 track? property taxes, sales taxes?
Texas generates revenue at the state level primarily from franchise taxes (business revenue), oil/gas extraction, and sales taxes.

Texas Net Revenue by Source - Fiscal 2010

The F1 funding ($25M per year) came from an economic development fund. There are no specific taxes for F1.

Jerry Jones received $325M from the city of Arlington to help build the new stadium, and it was approved by voters. The funds come from increased sales taxes, new hotel taxes, and new car rental taxes.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM

BTW - I wish Austin had a great zoo. It seems culturally like a good fit. Not too corporate, deals with living things, etc.

Houston and Fort Worth have very good zoos. San Antonio's is nice too. That's probably why Austin won't build one.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM

769 posts, read 779,925 times
In my opinion, there's nothing like having amenities in your own city. Indeed, a zoo would be nice. I get tired of packing up and traveling to another city just to go to an amusement park, pro ball game, a zoo...etc. It would be nice to have something here, in Austin.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 PM

389 posts, read 344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
BTW - I wish Austin had a great zoo. It seems culturally like a good fit. Not too corporate, deals with living things, etc.

Houston and Fort Worth have very good zoos. San Antonio's is nice too. That's probably why Austin won't build one.
I had actually started a thread about that a few weeks ago. Come to find out there are two small rescue zoos in Austin. I don't know why they wouldn't combine to create a larger rescue zoo fit for Austin. I'm sure there are some monetary or legal considerations, but still.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,598,753 times
IMO, it seems like UT sports dominating the scene is the likely reason pro sports don't do so well Austin. Here in Lubbock, it's the same thing. We had minor league baseball for a couple of years, hockey for about eight, and four arena football teams over four seasons, but none of them were successful even though the surrounding smaller cities had thriving franchisees. The reason is because of Texas Tech sports. It makes sense to me that a similar situation is in Austin.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM

285 posts, read 249,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
In my opinion, there's nothing like having amenities in your own city. Indeed, a zoo would be nice. I get tired of packing up and traveling to another city just to go to an amusement park, pro ball game, a zoo...etc. It would be nice to have something here, in Austin.
I agree. This is the biggest weakness of Austin, IMO. I don't think driving to SA or New Braunfels for amusement parks is all that bad, but a good zoo, a good science museum, a good art museum--these are all things that would be well-supported by Austin, and it's a shame they don't exist right now. I know there are plans for a planetarium near the UT campus, but I'm skeptical of anything groundbreaking happening with a new city art museum given the current state of affairs at AMOA.

A lot of it probably has to do with Austin's history. Austin hasn't been a "city" for very long. Thirty years ago greater Austin had less than a third of the population it has today. Other Texas cities like Fort Worth and San Antonio were more established than Austin and developed city-supported cultural institutions and other amenities probably before they were even considered for Austin.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM

285 posts, read 249,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
IMO, it seems like UT sports dominating the scene is the likely reason pro sports don't do so well Austin. Here in Lubbock, it's the same thing. We had minor league baseball for a couple of years, hockey for about eight, and four arena football teams over four seasons, but none of them were successful even though the surrounding smaller cities had thriving franchisees. The reason is because of Texas Tech sports. It makes sense to me that a similar situation is in Austin.
There's not much of a parallel between Lubbock and Austin here - one is still a small town and one is an emerging city with 7x the population. The dominance of UT sports is overblown and a lot of the football fans come from out of town, not locally. No doubt UT has a large, dedicated fanbase in Austin but the metro area also has, literally, hundreds of thousands of transplants from all corners of the country with no affiliation to UT, who could care less for the Longhorns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin