U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM

104 posts, read 478,369 times

Advertisements

Girl Scout cookies I am OK with but there are tons of other things that you might not want to do such as coupons or solicitations for donations to agencies/sports teams etc.

When kids ring your doorbell to sell stuff you are not interested in, do you turn them away? Or do you buy/donate just because they are neighbors or you can't bear to see their disappointed faces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM

771 posts, read 874,215 times
Oh, that's a hard one. If it's a neighborhood kid, it's SO hard for me to turn down. Some kids from the neighboring subdivisions sometimes come through, and I can sometimes politely turn them away.

But overall, it's SO hard when a kid shows up at your doorstep wide eyed and hopeful. I am a sucker.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM

727 posts, read 997,943 times
I don't open my door. Problem solved.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM

8,762 posts, read 18,186,877 times
We actually have very few show up at our door, and of the ones that do, half appear to be 'iffy' - i.e. selling mag subscriptions to win a scholarship. I think it is just some form of child labor.

Anyway, we tend to only buy from two different kids (we are good friends of those families) and we pretty much turn down the rest. I will say that there is a discount card that one of the kids used to sell but doesn't anymore, and we miss it . It had great deals and paid for itself in short order w/o us even trying....

Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM

771 posts, read 874,215 times
True, true. Most of the time, I don't open the door. But my daughter is at the age where she will RUN to the door when the doorbell rings, and it's a dead giveaway. And when it's our neighbor's kids, she gets excited and talks to them through the glass...I have no choice.

Or often, I'm outside working in the lawn and I'm stuck.

But overall, I never answer the door for adult solicitors. It's just a thing about kids for me as I previously stated.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM

554 posts, read 904,147 times
I remember doing this as a kid and have no problem saying no if I'm not interested. I did end up with an expensive tin of popcorn once though because I remembered how much I hated selling that stuff for boy scouts and I will hunt down girl scout cookies.

Also we bought some christmas wrapping paper from a neighborhood kid the year before last and it didn't get delivered until January, wtf how can you sell christmas stuff and deliver weeks after Christmas.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

239 posts, read 253,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
Girl Scout cookies I am OK with but there are tons of other things that you might not want to do such as coupons or solicitations for donations to agencies/sports teams etc.

When kids ring your doorbell to sell stuff you are not interested in, do you turn them away? Or do you buy/donate just because they are neighbors or you can't bear to see their disappointed faces?
No, not any more...these are fund-raising gimmicks that mostly benefit the fund raising provider. The kids receive pennies for every dollar they sell. Send a check and donate directly to the school/ kid's program/ charity.

I had had enough with the office "charitable giving" too, when one person (an executive yet!) was raising money for their plane ticket to Ireland in order to participate in a run for childhood leukemia.

Another example was being asked to donate (X cents a mile) for a weekend bike outing for MS. Turns out that only 10% of donations actually went to the MS foundation. 90% went to admin costs, prizes, sag wagons , food , etc. for the bike outing participants.

Never contribute to door to door solicitors either .You never know who/what you're giving money to.

Girl Scout cookies...that's a different story, tho. Love those.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,956,663 times
I'll buy if it's a neighbor, just to return the favor of neighbors who bought from my kids over the years. As a general rule, I don't buy from unknown kids who go door to door.

In my hometown, the local Catholic school seemed to always have a fundraiser going. One summer day, my mom heard a knock at the door, and it was a little neighborhood boy from the school. He was on summer break, of course, but he had a handful of flowers to sell her. Only problem was, the flowers were from my mom's garden. I don't remember how she handled that situation, other than to laugh at his take on fundraising.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM

969 posts, read 904,258 times
Here, it's usu. adults who are trying to "further" their education, or "it's the only job I could get," blah, blah, blah.

Where I used to live, the kids in the neighborhood went to 10 different schools.....public, parochial, private. We were constantly "hit up" and it really ticked me off. I think it's OK if a choir, etc. is raising money to go perform at Carnegie Hall. I'll support that.

However, if you are a parochial / private school trying to scrounge up some more money for your school.....no sympathy......raise the tuition! This really was a problem where I lived with kids ringing the doorbell.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 3,430,265 times
I only buy from the kids in the neighborhood that I know by name or if I know their parents. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of them. I think it's just part of living in a family neighborhood and I'm sure my kids are going to be forced to do the same thing when they get old enough to play sports. I'm sure the neighbors will return the favor. Of course, these kids are all doing this to support choir, band, football, baseball, etc. at their public schools. These aren't normal solicitors and I turn away the professional solicitors of course. I think the High School football kids are doing their fundraisers right now so that might be who came to your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin