Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 22,905 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and am looking for a preschool for my 3 1/2 year old, that provides a structured curriculum, and consistent routine.

I am fortunate enough to be able to stay at home, so there is no need for the before or after care. I am finding more of what I am looking for are called "Mother's Day Out," but I am concerned that this will not provide the consistency or academics that we are looking for. Is a MDO considered a part time preschool?

I live in Cedar Park, does anyone have a good recomendation that won't break the bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
MDO is just that, it gives a couple of hours for the mother to go out and get things done. They are usually 9-1 (give or take) and MWF or TTh. I don't know any MDO programs that have an actual curriculum. They are not a preschool (for the most part). There are some exceptions throughout, but the vast majority are just basic daycares for mom to get out for a few hours and run errands.

Preschool, on the other hand, it vastly different. They are about 6:30am-6:30pm (give or take). They have set schedules and ciriculums they stick to. Primrose is a very well known one. There are others, but I don't know what you mean by "break the bank". In Cedar Park, you have Goddard School too. Kids R Kids is there and claims they're a preschool, but after almost a year of that compared to Primrose, KRK was a daycare with no control, but cool cameras so you can watch at home.

At Primrose, my daughter is 3 1/2 and has been put into Pre-Kindergarten for this school year because they put kids in classes per their abilities, and not just age. Since she's not 4, I have to take her to field trips, but I have a flexible schedule so that's ok. Yes, Primrose has MWF and TTh options as well, but not once you get to PreK or K.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Check into some local church preschool programs. Many are fully accredited, academic programs and are part time - usually a few hours (like 9-1), 2-3 days a week.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 PM

298 posts, read 941,137 times
Had a wonderful experience with First Foundations when we lived there. They are located at 620/Anderson Mill Rd. Very structured program with academics (spanish & music as well) and biblical stories incorporated into the lessons. They have registration the Feb. before the school year so you may not get a spot.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM

322 posts, read 843,825 times
Have you looked into part time montessori? There are many places here in the 'burbs with that type of curriculum. Also, just because the care facility (daycare) is open for 12 hours doesn't mean that your child has to be there that long. Many of them offer a p/t option, either half day or t/th m/w/f.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
MDO is just that, it gives a couple of hours for the mother to go out and get things done. They are usually 9-1 (give or take) and MWF or TTh. I don't know any MDO programs that have an actual curriculum. They are not a preschool (for the most part). There are some exceptions throughout, but the vast majority are just basic daycares for mom to get out for a few hours and run errands.

Preschool, on the other hand, it vastly different. They are about 6:30am-6:30pm (give or take). They have set schedules and ciriculums they stick to. Primrose is a very well known one. There are others, but I don't know what you mean by "break the bank". In Cedar Park, you have Goddard School too. Kids R Kids is there and claims they're a preschool, but after almost a year of that compared to Primrose, KRK was a daycare with no control, but cool cameras so you can watch at home.

At Primrose, my daughter is 3 1/2 and has been put into Pre-Kindergarten for this school year because they put kids in classes per their abilities, and not just age. Since she's not 4, I have to take her to field trips, but I have a flexible schedule so that's ok. Yes, Primrose has MWF and TTh options as well, but not once you get to PreK or K.
I totally disagree with this post. My daughter went to MDO and it was a complete pre-k curriculum. She learned a lot. I wouldn't give this advice unless you have visited each MDO in the Austin area!!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM

388 posts, read 666,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

I would not call something that runs from 6:30am-6:30pm "preschool." I would call that "daycare." Of course, daycare centers generally have a preschool incorporated into the program that is offering childcare in addition to preschool.

My son attends a non-religiously affliated preschool that runs from 9am-1:30pm (t/th sessions or m/w/f sessions). It seems like in Austin, most preschools follow the 9-1 or 9-1:30pm schedule. As we were looking for a school for my son, I noticed that a lot of the church based programs called themselves "Mother's Day Out", especially if you are looking for a program for a 2 year old. You really need to visit each program or interview the director to get a better idea of what they offer. Just like daycares, some will have a stronger academic focus than others.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
I would not call something that runs from 6:30am-6:30pm "preschool." I would call that "daycare." Of course, daycare centers generally have a preschool incorporated into the program that is offering childcare in addition to preschool.

My son attends a non-religiously affliated preschool that runs from 9am-1:30pm (t/th sessions or m/w/f sessions). It seems like in Austin, most preschools follow the 9-1 or 9-1:30pm schedule. As we were looking for a school for my son, I noticed that a lot of the church based programs called themselves "Mother's Day Out", especially if you are looking for a program for a 2 year old. You really need to visit each program or interview the director to get a better idea of what they offer. Just like daycares, some will have a stronger academic focus than others.
I couldn't imagine sending a little one to pre-k for 12 hours. I agree with you. I would call that daycare!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,182,516 times
We recently moved here as well and were looking for a preschool option (or MDO, we were open depending on what was offered) for our 3.5 year old. We also live fairly close to Cedar Park, near McNeil and 183. I researched and visited nearly all of the options mentioned here and others you will come across. Having left a truly exemplary preschool in Colorado (it was preschool only, no day care) we felt our daughter would thrive in an environment with a structured academic focus and routine but with by play-based learning.

Long story short, we chose Rising Stars Preschool in Cedar Park. School began two weeks ago and we are so pleased with it. VERY resonable tuition considering what they offer and you can choose to go M-F, MWF or T/TH. Hours are 9am-2pm. Depending on your kiddo's birth date (which determines what class she would be in), they may have a few open slots remaining.

Rising Stars Austin Preschool - Austin Preschools in Austin, Texas - ages 2 to 5

You can Google it too to get a sense for reviews, etc.

Direct message me is you have any questions

Last edited by Idlewile; 08-15-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
Did I say EVERY school was like that? No, I didn't. I visited several schools before picking one, and all the MDO programs I visited were "daycares". No, you don't "learn" for 12 house at "preschool". They start at 8:30, have a 2-3 hour quiet time for naps, and then learn again until about 4:30 as parents start to pick the kids up.

I said "for the most part" because the vast majority of MDO do nothing but what I call babysitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin