Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
nxm nxm started this thread

39 posts, read 409,712 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We (wife, a 4 year daughter and a 5 month son) are planning a move to Texas, most likely to Austin or Dallas/Fort Worth. I used to live in Midwest and loved it. Right now, we are living in Miami, FL and find it is not an appropriate place to raise children and the IT job market is very bad here. I have a steady job in software engineering with almost 10 years of experience but with no potential professional growth in my current job.

I am not sure, and this is where I need some advise on how to, go about searching for a good job in Austin area. I have been hearing all good things about this area and its job market. In fact Fort Worth/Dallas has lots of software development jobs, but I am more inclined towards Austin.

I am really tired of Southeast and cannot wait to get ouf of here. Sometimes I just want to quit my job and move to Austin and then find a job but then I think that I shouldn't be unthankful in this type of job market.

I would love to hear from you on what should my approach be in finding a job, how to target the companies and find out the contacts within the compaines.

How long can a job search take me to find a decent job?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,703 times
Try searching dice.com or indeed.com and create a profile on linkedin so potential employers who search for you online find professional info. When people start calling dont waste too much time talking to recruiters but dont count them out either. Also check here Austin Business News - Austin Business Journal for various info on local business. Fortune 500 companies like Dell, Samsung, Apple and others all have offices here and some only post jobs on their websites. Good luck finding a new job is a job in itself.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 AM

That is exactly what I have been doing, checking it out on dice and indeed.

From others people experiences, who moved to Texas from other states, how hard was it for you guys to find a job in Austin in software development?

My biggest concern is not being in Texas. If you are a local candidate you have much better chances of landing a job. If you are out of state the whole process just takes a lot longer and is definitely a job in itself.

We are planning to make a move (hopefully) by end of this year or by first quarter of next year. Hopefully, if I start in a month or two, I will have plenty of time.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,202 times
If you say there are lots of jobs in Dallas/Fort Worth, why not begin applying for those from Miami? I agree locals have an advantage in many fields, though from what I understand, that has less of an influence if you have unusual skills that are highly in demand. You're the one who knows how you stack up in that regard, whether there are many with a similar skill set (in which case, being local may make a difference.)

I would save up a 6 month cushion before moving, especially since you have kids.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
OP - what skills do you have in software development? What kind of software have you developed?

Austin's software job market is solid if you have more senior or advanced skills (such as systems, network, security, database, etc.) programming.

Austin is full of Java and C++ programmers with commodity skills. Always openings for those skills too, but lots of competition and they aren't the most interesting jobs.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,703 times
Saying you are in software development is like saying you are in sales, lots of jobs out there. If you have specialty skills or develop software for a particular industry then you will be able to find a job quicker and being local might not matter. If your skills are the same as the rest of the job market then yes being local matters. I would suggest visiting the city and getting a local PO box with a central austin zipcode and use a random apartment complex address as your physical address for the purposes of job hunting or applications.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
Moving to Austin is not complicated. Just be sure that you buy lots of orange clothing and have at least one gas guzzling vehicle (preferably a truck or huge SUV). When talking to others, make sure you constantly mention how Austin is the only city that matters in the country. Do these things and everything else should fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm View Post
Hello,
We (wife, a 4 year daughter and a 5 month son) are planning a move to Texas, most likely to Austin or Dallas/Fort Worth. I used to live in Midwest and loved it. Right now, we are living in Miami, FL and find it is not an appropriate place to raise children and the IT job market is very bad here. I have a steady job in software engineering with almost 10 years of experience but with no potential professional growth in my current job.

I am not sure, and this is where I need some advise on how to, go about searching for a good job in Austin area. I have been hearing all good things about this area and its job market. In fact Fort Worth/Dallas has lots of software development jobs, but I am more inclined towards Austin.

I am really tired of Southeast and cannot wait to get ouf of here. Sometimes I just want to quit my job and move to Austin and then find a job but then I think that I shouldn't be unthankful in this type of job market.

I would love to hear from you on what should my approach be in finding a job, how to target the companies and find out the contacts within the compaines.

How long can a job search take me to find a decent job?

Thanks much.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
OP - what skills do you have in software development? What kind of software have you developed?

Austin's software job market is solid if you have more senior or advanced skills (such as systems, network, security, database, etc.) programming.

Austin is full of Java and C++ programmers with commodity skills. Always openings for those skills too, but lots of competition and they aren't the most interesting jobs.
I have experience in C# .NET on web technologies side using jQuery, this also includes MVC2, Entity Framework, Linq, WCF, etc... Currently I am working as a Team Lead/Solution Architect, creating applications architecture for large sites.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Saying you are in software development is like saying you are in sales, lots of jobs out there. If you have specialty skills or develop software for a particular industry then you will be able to find a job quicker and being local might not matter. If your skills are the same as the rest of the job market then yes being local matters. I would suggest visiting the city and getting a local PO box with a central austin zipcode and use a random apartment complex address as your physical address for the purposes of job hunting or applications.
That is an interesting suggestion on opening a POBox but what will I achieve from this? I can get a Google voice telephone number with Austin areacode but when it comes to interviewing in person then its on me to spare an air-fare.

I don't know how my skills stack against the local market in Austin, also the reason why I want to explore the market before submitting resume all over the place so I can tailor the resume appropriately for each job posting.

Hoping this forum might shed some light on the skills in demand in Austin.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Moving to Austin is not complicated. Just be sure that you buy lots of orange clothing and have at least one gas guzzling vehicle (preferably a truck or huge SUV). When talking to others, make sure you constantly mention how Austin is the only city that matters in the country. Do these things and everything else should fall into place.
A family man cannot afford a gas guzzler but I will try my best to fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin