Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM

563 posts, read 910,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseve View Post
hey everyone,
so i've been thinking about moving to the Austin area because it's such an awesome city! great nightlife, music, food, and extremely friendly people. the only problem i have so far is the heat. i currently live in california (san francisco bay area), and everyone knows we're pampered here weather-wise. whenever i visit austin, i can never get as much exploring done as i'd like because the heat really affects me. yet i see people jogging and roaming the streets like the weather's no big deal. now i KNOW other places have it way worse (for example, florida, or any other excessively humid state), but realizing that still doesn't help me adjust as much as i'd like. is the heat just something people get used to over time? i know staying hydrated is key - any other tips from natives?? i just want to reach a point where i can go roam around during the day! help!
I know a lot of people from outside of Texas don't realize this but southeast Texas is HUMID. Imagine Florida's humidity with higher temps - HOUSTON.

I know Houston doesn't get as hot as other parts of the state but if you add in the humidity the heat indexes are the same and a lot of times higher than most parts of Texas.

With that being said, if you don't like humidity, Austin would be the perfect place for you. I had no problem living there and dreaded the countdown until I had to move back Houston. Just go outside and run, hike, or walk everyday in the heat. Take it slow and in time you will adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: