U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM

2,059 posts, read 2,009,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
You're right. It depends on your expectations. I, myself, wouldn't want to wash dishes on a wage that allows me to just "survive." Nothing against dishwashing. It's a job. But....I want to do so much more than just survive. I want to enjoy life. I want to be able to travel, indulge in creature comforts, splurge from time to time if I want. Sure, as humans, all we essentially need are food, clothing and shelter...but I'll admit. I live in a material world. I want to work hard so that I can play hard, and not merely survive.
I'd also remind you that Austin is a place that attracts independent artists.... starving or not, so the industry service is pretty healthy for a lot of these musicians and artists and even students. It's not like people just "settle" for these jobs. (well, a few of them do actually) But had you ever worked in such places, you'd find that you'll meet many interesting people, make good money and have lots of fun. My sister works at Brackenridge Hospital, gets paid well, has great benefits and its a "commendable" job... but guess what, working for tips made me so much more money than what she made.... and I also had benefits. I've had a few nights in which I made $35/hr on tips alone. So its not like these types of jobs are just enough to "get through"..... as I stated somewhere else, quite a few dishwashers make enough to pay rent and still have plenty to party. And I only made reference of this to point out that if you have financial trouble in Austin, there clearly must be something bad on your part, because I swear it doesn't take much to survive in Austin. It's not like its San Francisco, LA or NYC or anything. So take heed, my friend... because these friends of mine also "enjoy life, travel, indulge in creature comforts..." etc. I know this because I've been there and did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM

509 posts, read 852,015 times
Ok, I'll bite. Has the OP even taken a gander at the other threads on the forum? These are some of the recently discussed topics:
* Potential rolling black outs
* Residents can only water their yards once per week
* Historical drought
* Crushing property taxes
* Difficult to find employment
* Lack of diversity
* Lack of amenities typically associated with a city
* And, oh yeah, it's been 100+ for how many days now?

C'mon. No place is "perfect."

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM

771 posts, read 877,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I'd also remind you that Austin is a place that attracts independent artists.... starving or not, so the industry service is pretty healthy for a lot of these musicians and artists and even students. It's not like people just "settle" for these jobs. (well, a few of them do actually) But had you ever worked in such places, you'd find that you'll meet many interesting people, make good money and have lots of fun. My sister works at Brackenridge Hospital, gets paid well, has great benefits and its a "commendable" job... but guess what, working for tips made me so much more money than what she made.... and I also had benefits. I've had a few nights in which I made $35/hr on tips alone. So its not like these types of jobs are just enough to "get through"..... as I stated somewhere else, quite a few dishwashers make enough to pay rent and still have plenty to party. And I only made reference of this to point out that if you have financial trouble in Austin, there clearly must be something bad on your part, because I swear it doesn't take much to survive in Austin. It's not like its San Francisco, LA or NYC or anything. So take heed, my friend... because these friends of mine also "enjoy life, travel, indulge in creature comforts..." etc. I know this because I've been there and did that.
No need to remind me. I was just basing my comment off what you said about dishwashers making enough to survive. No need to prove what your friends do.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,009,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
No need to remind me. I was just basing my comment off what you said about dishwashers making enough to survive. No need to prove what your friends do.
Well, the whole point was to illustrate how easy it is to survive in Austin.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 PM

399 posts, read 556,919 times
The only problem I have with Austin is that it's in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin