Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM

334 posts, read 484,834 times

Advertisements

Plz tell me, is Austin a perfect life? Want to hear from locals and hear reasons why you DONT think Austin is really so great...seems so perfect for me, nice life nice people weather shopping business and fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 AM

538 posts, read 1,731,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Plz tell me, is Austin a perfect life? Want to hear from locals and hear reasons why you DONT think Austin is really so great...seems so perfect for me, nice life nice people weather shopping business and fun....
Whenever you move someplace new, you bring your baggage with you. Some people are unhappy wherever they might be.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 38,538 times
People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln. With that being said, does it really matter what other people think about Austin?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM

388 posts, read 845,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
I'm not from Austin, but as a place I'd love to live I can tell you some of the cons that I've run across during my research about Austin, if all you are looking for is the cons.

Not many cultural attractions
-two small rescue zoos, nothing worthy of a big city
-only a TX history museum, no science/nature museum
-no major league sports teams/things to do other than go downtown or recreate outside
-very hot compared to what I'm used to

Thats just my personal cons list, but the pro list far outweighs the things I just gave you.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,857,182 times
I think it depends entirely on your interests and how much of it the city caters to those interests of yours. I'm 27 now... but I lived there for 12.5 years. I lived in Houston right after high school for about a year. And even though Houston offers much more than Austin, I simply preferred Austin. More people of my kind... more music of my style.... venues and lounges that are just my preference. You can live close to downtown and survive as a dishwasher. Plus, the night life. etc... you know the deal. Everyone's said it over and over.

But yeah, I think jifie nailed it. Those are all the things Austin doesn't have.... but who cares? My point of view is that while those are all nice things to have you "really" don't need diversity to survive, or museums, or a pro sports team, or zoos. Just my thoughts.

So the perfect life depends entirely on what interests you the most.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,086,236 times
Lol

Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,857,182 times
^^ what's that about?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,624,929 times
Surprised at this post. I am not sure if you could find anything in Texas perfect for you if you have problems with how the system is run. But its totally up to you, make sure you can stand the heat..65 days of 100plus temps this yr. Feels great when upper 90s start sounding good and cool!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
There are museums of varying sizes and types in Austin - it appears that many people don't really look for them. For example, there's the Harry Ransom Center, the Austin Museum of Art, The Texas Natural Science Center, the Blanton Museum of Art, and a few others. We're also a hop skip and a jump from the offerings of San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas (all three are just a day trip, so you have access to the museum - and other - offerings of FOUR cities including Austin).

Granted, we don't have a major professional sports team, but there's LOTS to do if you don't want to go downtown or do something outside (I can't remember the last time I went downtown to do more than go to Book People, and since we live on a ranch outside activities are already taken care of, and yet I still find plenty to do in Austin, imagine that).

Zoos in San Antonio and Waco are very nice, and also a day trip away - I know, I've done it several times over the decades, definitely more often than I went to the zoo in Dallas when I lived there.

Is life perfect in Austin? No place is perfect, and definitely no place is perfect for everybody (if I lived in a city that only had museums, zoos, and pro sports, I'd not be very happy. Some others would be in heaven. So it really depends on the person whether Austin (or any city) offers a "perfect life".

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM

404 posts, read 710,075 times
Migol.. why is it you post on every single thread and don't even live in Austin? Dude you must be really, REALLY bored in SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin