Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM

322 posts, read 846,837 times

Advertisements

I was driving down I35S today and saw a couple of guys with a big sign that said something like,"Shame on you Fast Eddie's". Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,044 times
I saw the same thing last week and wondered, myself. It's some kind of labor dispute, I think.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
Customers are mad because their pool-tables suxs!!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,885 times
Default Labor Dispute Information

Here is what I was given when I asked them about their striking.
Attached Thumbnails
What's up with Fast Eddie's in RR?-fast-eddies.jpg  

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
Here is what I was given when I asked them about their striking.
So, all that deleted discussion was just 'smoking and mirrors'?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,161 times
Default Someone With Alot Of time on their hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
So, all that deleted discussion was just 'smoking and mirrors'?
Yes! All smoke and Mirrors! I wish I could find the author of that article! It really isn't Fast Eddie's responsibility to keep track of contractors' tax paying practices. Fast Eddie's has one responsibility - that is to send a 1099 by February of next year to the one contractor that was hired to do the job. That contractor, if he has hired workers, has his own responsibility to pay (either by contract or by federal wage laws) his employes or sub-contractors. That is how it works. Unless, there was another arrangement made via Fast Eddies. Somehow, I doubt it.
So...to the author of that atrocious "rat" post...NOT COOL!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM

144 posts, read 295,907 times
This has been going on for a about a month maybe even more. They are out there everyday from what I've seen. I saw it at another place driving by but thinking back I can't remember what the place was. I was wondering the same as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
There are similar "bannering" and flyers at several other work sites around town. In each case the business being targeted is a third-party to the dispute.

This is part of a national campaign to boost union membership, in Austin the real target of these tactics are the drywall subcontractors. At first the claim was that they pay substandard wages but the contractors were able to prove that their wages were market rate (or above) so now the line of attack is the use of by some drywall subs of independent contractors (1099) for small jobs.

The idea is that general contracting firms will be reluctant to use certain drywall firms out of fear that their customers could be targeted in this way. But it is such an indirect method and Texas is a right-to-work state . . . I don't see it building much goodwill toward unions.

In other places these bannering and flyer campaigns have gone on for years! The union pays (non-union wages, no benefits,) the people who hand out the flyers and hold the banners, oh the irony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin