Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:07 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Avery Ranch actually encourages the 'conversion' of the nuisance strip...
So that's what it's called. A nuisance strip! And that's what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,155 times
I couldn't care less if my lawn burned up and died. However, it gets watered when the hedges, bushes, trees, etc are watered. My yard is very well-landscaped (came that way) and has lots of trees. So, like riaelise, it would cost quite a bit of money to replace those trees, bushes, etc. We've already lost one bush, and it looks like we may lose a couple of mature trees toward the back of our property.

Ironically, we already replaced a small tree and a bush that didn't make it..........through the cold winter! Can't win.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
I water twice a week, on my designated days. I moved into my house last fall, and spent several hours this spring fine tuning my sprinkler system (some heads were completely pointing the wrong direction, some heads had too wide of a spray pattern, etc) and now I have minimized runoff.

I think you should water at LEAST once a week... and not for the grass, for your foundation. If you let your yard dry out completely, you're going to be looking at some very expensive foundation problems.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,202 times
There are multiple angles to this problem and there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. Some yards are planted with (and required by HOA's to keep) grass and other plants that are not native to the area. Trying to keep them alive in this heat is unnatural and you're fighting a losing battle. Another issue is that this area is experiencing a huge rate of growth--very possibly more than our area's natural water supply can support in the coming years. Yet prices remain cheap and since it doesn't affect them, some waste resources.

Something has to give and it may be that water prices need to be raised after a set amount per household that would be enough to cover basic needs only. For many, it seems they only make the extra effort to conserve when it hits them in the pocketbook. If water cost a certain amount for the first X gallons per month, a higher rate for the next X gallons, and a very high rate for anything above that, more might rethink how much they need and make an effort to conserve. Though watering outside is a big part of the issue, families can take shorter showers, install low-flo devices on all the sinks and shower heads, etc.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
We live on a couple acres - much of it sodded with St. Augustine. We decided to let it all go. It just seems irresponsible, wasteful, and plain silly to try and play God with landscaping that was 1) never intended for this area and b) requires more water than current drought conditions can really support. Luckily, everyone in our neighborhood has taken the same tact and although we all have dry dead lawns, the neighborhood doesn't look too bad, and together we are all doing our part to conserve. We do have one neighbor a street over who insists on watering his expansive lawns each and every day. He looks like a bit of a chump out there with sprinklers going all day long.

We do however have over 100 Oak trees on our property, and those are getting carefully metered amounts of water via dripline hoses. Our veggie garden is now watered by hand, and only at 6 in the morning - no easy task considering the size of it. Chickens, deer, and dog all get watered the same amount still. We use very low flow toilets and an HE washer/dryer.

Our water bill for two acres with animals and a massive garden has not exceeded $69.00 this summer. We consider this a miracle, considering our Spetember 2010 bill was $274 .... all just to keep grass alive.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM

509 posts, read 1,543,884 times
I don't understand why there is not more of a push for xeriscaping. You're really fighting an uphill battle trying to keep expansive lawns alive and green. Not to mention the sheer waste of a precious and dwindling resource. There was a great article in the NY Times the other day about the prairie area at Mueller. It's a shame that more HOAs don't encourage natural landscaping - it's definitely something we're going to look into before we buy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/ga...prairie&st=cse

Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,042 times
Last fall, a neighbor down the road from me replaced her whole front yard of grass with river rock and drought tolerant plants in the beds. It looks really cool and I bet her water bill is awesome.

I have learned my lesson. I will only buy plants that are recommended in the City of Austin Native Landscape Book that you see free everywhere. Those plants are the only ones alive in my yard and doing well.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Something has to give and it may be that water prices need to be raised after a set amount per household that would be enough to cover basic needs only. For many, it seems they only make the extra effort to conserve when it hits them in the pocketbook. If water cost a certain amount for the first X gallons per month, a higher rate for the next X gallons, and a very high rate for anything above that, more might rethink how much they need and make an effort to conserve. Though watering outside is a big part of the issue, families can take shorter showers, install low-flo devices on all the sinks and shower heads, etc.
The City already has a graduated rate structure on the cost of water, and they increased those rates this year to do exactly as you are proposing.

Watering outside is not just a big part of the issue, at the summer peak it is almost 70% of my water bill. The problem is it is expensive to re-landscape an existing yard with drought tolerant native plants, and not allowed by some HOA's.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We live on a couple acres - much of it sodded with St. Augustine. We decided to let it all go. It just seems irresponsible, wasteful, and plain silly to try and play God with landscaping that was 1) never intended for this area and b) requires more water than current drought conditions can really support. Luckily, everyone in our neighborhood has taken the same tact and although we all have dry dead lawns, the neighborhood doesn't look too bad, and together we are all doing our part to conserve. We do have one neighbor a street over who insists on watering his expansive lawns each and every day. He looks like a bit of a chump out there with sprinklers going all day long.

We do however have over 100 Oak trees on our property, and those are getting carefully metered amounts of water via dripline hoses. Our veggie garden is now watered by hand, and only at 6 in the morning - no easy task considering the size of it. Chickens, deer, and dog all get watered the same amount still. We use very low flow toilets and an HE washer/dryer.

Our water bill for two acres with animals and a massive garden has not exceeded $69.00 this summer. We consider this a miracle, considering our Spetember 2010 bill was $274 .... all just to keep grass alive.
Are you actually in the City of Austin? If so, turn him in!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:41 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,996,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Are you actually in the City of Austin? If so, turn him in!
What happened to live and let live, everyone has rights, to each their own and all that jazz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin