Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,963,765 times

Advertisements

I'm betting on hope for the future. » Turning Seawater Into Drinking Water with Sun and Wind Power Ecology Today: Ecology News, Information & Commentary Blog (http://ecology.com/ecology-today/2009/02/20/turning-seawater-into-drinking-water-with-sun-and-wind-power/ - broken link)

Australia Turns to Desalination Amid Water Shortage : NPR

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...everse-osmosis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,182,148 times
One has to wonder what negative effect that is going to have on the environment. We seem to have a bad track record of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" solutions for problems that makes me more than a bit nervous every time I hear about these desalinization "solutions" to the problem of too many people, not enough water.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,254,503 times
When the golf courses are brown, I'll stop watering.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
One has to wonder what negative effect that is going to have on the environment. We seem to have a bad track record of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" solutions for problems that makes me more than a bit nervous every time I hear about these desalinization "solutions" to the problem of too many people, not enough water.
I hear what you're saying but some of the possible solutions to the water issue make me more comfortable than say, Eugenics.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,326,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
When the golf courses are brown, I'll stop watering.
Do they use reclaimed water? I know here in Steiner Ranch, all the irrigation of the common areas is done with reclaimed (grey) water.

What I want to know is why is it OK for my HOA to use reclaimed water but not individual homeowners? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a GOOD thing they they use reclaimed water - I think we should be able to use it too.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Do they use reclaimed water? I know here in Steiner Ranch, all the irrigation of the common areas is done with reclaimed (grey) water.

What I want to know is why is it OK for my HOA to use reclaimed water but not individual homeowners? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a GOOD thing they they use reclaimed water - I think we should be able to use it too.
I'd be ok with that.....

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,424,886 times
Almost all golf courses use at least a significant amount of reclaimed water instead of first-pass water.

As for the HOA: I am guessing that the HOA is using grey water in public areas and uses a source of grey water that is completely separate from potable water; therefore, there is no risk of contamination. In a home, that is much more complex (as noted above) and would add a lot of cost.

As a general note, everyone wants to blame the big users (golf course, manuf, etc) for water use, and yes, individually, it looks like they are the bad guys. In reality, though, the million+ people that use just a little extra water is what burdens the system. Same is true for air pollution. People want to blame big industry, but it is generally due to the millions of individual autos.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Almost all golf courses use at least a significant amount of reclaimed water instead of first-pass water.

As for the HOA: I am guessing that the HOA is using grey water in public areas and uses a source of grey water that is completely separate from potable water; therefore, there is no risk of contamination. In a home, that is much more complex (as noted above) and would add a lot of cost.

As a general note, everyone wants to blame the big users (golf course, manuf, etc) for water use, and yes, individually, it looks like they are the bad guys. In reality, though, the million+ people that use just a little extra water is what burdens the system. Same is true for air pollution. People want to blame big industry, but it is generally due to the millions of individual autos.
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just saying we're all in this together. When the malls, the golf courses, UT, all stop watering, I will too. And I'm happy to use the same kind of water they do.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,782,681 times
I honestly believe Texas needs to start thinking about building a pipeline from the MS River to central Texas. The pipeline could dump right into Lake Travis and keep it filled up to the top year round.

Louisiana is a cash strapped state and they would gladly sell the water rights. New Orleans, for instance, uses the MS River as a water supply. This was an ingenious idea. They are going through the same drought we are, to a lesser degree, and the flooding in the Midwest was occurring when they were in a drought. So they had super high river levels during a drought and that's where they get their drinking water. They will never run out of water.

We could build a giant pipeline the same way AZ did to supply Phoenix and how CA did to supply LA. But we would need to begin building it right now.

The initial pipeline could dump directly into Lake Travis and then we could build feeder lines that go up to Dallas, down to San Antonio/Houston.

With this, rice farmers would be satisfied, boat owners and marina operators on Lake Travis would be satisfied, and we would have water for years to come.

This seriously needs to be investigated.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 AM

From: Water Footprint Calculator - National Geographic Every Drop Counts! We live in a watery world, with the average American lifestyle fueled by nearly 2,000 gallons of H2O a day. What may come as a surprise is that very little of that—only five percent—runs through toilets, taps, and garden hoses at home. Nearly 95 percent of your water footprint is hidden in the food you eat, energy you use, products you buy, and services you rely on. Find out your water footprint, then pledge to dry it out, joining other nationalgeographic.com users who have already committed to saving thousands of gallons. The more we save, the more water we leave for healthy ecosystems and a sustainable future. Water-saving facts and tips Water calculator sources and credits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin