Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Then why bother having one? There are so many people that shouldn't have yards but live in condos or townhomes if they don't need a lawn. I'm out in my yard daily year round.
Are you the arbiter of how often one should use his/her yard to justify its existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
You are just lucky. They are still everywhere in my yard.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM

144 posts, read 295,880 times
My dog was being silly and decided to pee on a fire ant mountain and ended up getting his nose and feet bitten... I also got bitten on top of my pinky toe and it stayed there for 2 weeks. It was the most painful thing I've experienced in awhile. So, they are around.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
The three raised bumps on my pinky indicate they're still around. They were swarming all over the bottom of a plant I picked up to examine at Red Barn. Never going back there. I expect bees at nurseries, but ants can be controlled...

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Knock on wood and all that; I spot treated two small mounds in the spring and have seen zero fire ants in our yard since. One small benefit of our recent weather conditions, I reckon.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I don't see any mounds, but I've seen the ants. We had a few get into the house and I saw some out on our front sidewalk attacking the remains of some type of already dead insect. They just aren't building mounds right now because of the heat and are staying underground to keep cooler.

As for the yard thing; we don't use ours as much right now either. It's just too hot right now and if my daughter stays outside too long then her asthma will act up. My husband mows the lawn in shorter bursts and comes in to cool down. He may only be out there for 20 or 30 minutes at a time and come in looking like he jumped in the lake. We stopped watering the grass but he'll go out at night (after dark) and water the garden plants that have managed to stay alive (some of those haven't survived the drought either).

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Some off topic posts were deleted. Here's a reminder of this thread's topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
For some reason, this summer there have been no fire ants at all in my yard. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just lucky?

I'm thinking the heat has killed off the fire ants like it has the mosquitoes...
If you want to discuss other LOCAL things, start another thread in this forum for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin