Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM

157 posts, read 322,293 times

Advertisements

Background: Up until a month ago, south Lake Travis area was high on our list. Prolonged 100+ temps, extreme drought, low lake conditions, closed boat ramps and the wildfires finally pushed the area (and TX) out of contention as a place to relocate. We were and are very disappointed since this area was a favorite when we made our "where we'd like to settle forever" list last year. We are struggling to find other benefits to moving there - we like the idea of TX!

We were originally attracted to the area because of the lake as a great way to "offset" the heat, but it's looking dismal there, even if this happens only ever 4th summer. So....TX came off the list...that is....until we stumbled upon the Marble Falls area (online, not in person). Seems that they have a few lakes that retain their levels, it's reportedly slightly cooler (but not much)....but, it's so far from Austin. We'd like to reconsider TX and this area, but I need to hear from people who know that area and especially those who've driven it. Spouse works from home but I would most likely commute daily (destination city yet unknown so I default to Austin).

Share impressions...how accurate is the description...would this commute be a killer? I don't need much more data about Lake Travis - got enough. We also accept that living there has some risks. I'm mostly interested in the MF area and the commute aspect.

Last edited by wedmiston; 09-11-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
I would never be willing to make a commute like that. Not only would the distance be too far for me, but you have to remember that once you get to the outskirts of town, traffic will slow to a crawl. Unless you worked on the outside of town in the right direction, I fear it would be a hellish commute.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,336 times
My Dad retired to Marble Falls or to be more specific Meadowlakes after looking at many places in Texas. I think the golf course sold him. Since then my Sister and her husband also relocated there. When we visit it is a 45 minute drive from our WmCannon and Loop1 location. I know of one person that lives in Marble Falls and works in Austin. At times the traffic on 71 into Austin at the "Y" looks terrible but there are a few different ways to enter Austin from 71. I like the town of Marble Falls and have considered moving there. I am low maintenance and don't need all the amenities offered in Austin so Marble Falls being within an hour of Austin looks like a good pick to me.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
I'm with tibbar and agree with all he says. I've done a 45 minute commute when I lived in Houston, and it wasn't too bad, at least for me. I know those things are subjective, but a commute under an hour wouldn't put me off. We've been camping at Lake LBJ and that whole area I just love!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
Its not a horrible east coast commute with traffic and the likes to take you a long time but depending on where you are going to have to drive to it can be distance. If you are working in north Austin coming down 1431 into Cedar Park is your best bet and just to ger to 183 is going to take about 45 mins. Marble Falls is very pretty (most of the time). Lake Marble Falls is a level lake and I think Inks is also. The traffic sometimes gets backed up on 281 cause there is only 1 bridge to cross in town right now. I think they are at last building a hospital there. The hospital in the area is up in Burnet about 15 mins down the road. Marble Falls has the movies,Peete Mesquite bbq which is the best that I have had and I grew up in the Hill Country where there are great bbq places on every corner! HEB (grocery store) in Marble falls is very small but has most of what you need. It sort of all hindges on where you need to drive into Austin. I know a few that drive in north Austin about 3 times a week. I know several folks that live in Burnet also (just to the north of MF) and that is an east freeway drive to get here. 1431 is very winding from Marble Falls and that is what eats up the time there.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
How bad the commute is would depend on what part of Austin you worked in and what time you had to be there. If you tried to commute to downtown and be there at 8AM it could easily take you 40 minutes to get to Oak Hill and another 45 to get into downtown. Then you would have a similar long commute going home in 5PM rush hour traffic.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
And I think that you over estimate the ability of the lakes to temper the heat! Spring-fed swimming hole? Yes. Lake Travis or Marble Falls? Not so much. Look at the summer water temps!

Long time ago, I worked with someone who commuted to downtown from Marble Falls, she was on the road at 5:30 each day! No way would I do that.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I heard that the Lake Travis surface water temperature was 90 degrees a week or so ago. Shallower lakes like Marble Falls was probably warmer.

LCRA says that Marble Falls is 88 degrees and Lake Travis is 85. http://www.lcra.org/water/quality/st...ml#marblefalls

Old 09-11-2011, 01:19 PM

157 posts, read 322,293 times
Well, I suppose it was a longshot (or hopeful thinking) to think I could do that kind of commute...thanks for the dose of reality guys! Guess we'll dial it back to Bee Cave or maybe Spicewood as the farthest to consider?

88 degrees? That's bathwater. Does anybody get any benefit out of the lake in the condition, level and temp it's at these days?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
Well, I suppose it was a longshot (or hopeful thinking) to think I could do that kind of commute...thanks for the dose of reality guys! Guess we'll dial it back to Bee Cave or maybe Spicewood as the farthest to consider?

88 degrees? That's bathwater. Does anybody get any benefit out of the lake in the condition, level and temp it's at these days?
A friend drives in from Spicewood. Takes her 45 minutes to an hour each way to get downtown depending on traffic. If your work hours have some flexibility and you don't have to use peak commute times, that would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin