Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

970 posts, read 1,864,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
We have about 20 years to retirement, at least (we long ago discount SS out of the equation ), and we have no intention at this time of leaving. It is hard to separate personal from non-personal, like schools - we have kids at early school-age, and we feel that the schools we get for our taxes (property, mainly) are excellent. That is kind of a money decision. Tax-wise, we are a dual income/modest house, so property tax vs. income tax is good for us; once we retire, that would be another thing to look at, but it will probably not be a driving factor in a decision to move/not move.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'non-personal' as I think about it - you list jobs, but the availability of jobs is kind of an absolute issue at some point.
We like the climate (prefer hot over cold any day, but that is personal);
We are okay with the cost of living (not high, but not low); and
We have jobs that pay good money.

There isn't anything that needs (or can be) 'fixed' by moving, so we are not moving any time soon....
The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:20 PM

355 posts, read 919,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Just FYI - I really don't think that's accurate. I find Texas to be very much like the rest of the "South". Surface friendliness and politeness that often masks people's real feelings and thoughts. I found a straight forward attitude more common in the Midwest or Northeast.
Amen!

And most are frightened by honesty and OPINIONS that differ from their own.

The Statesman is a perfect example (is it still published?) of this lame-o, wishy washy, Texan manner. No real opinion, no snark whatsoever.

Any opinion that is outside of the box is considered "negative". Zero room for a heightened, spirited, lively discussion.

Let's keep it all nice-y. And BOOOOOOORING.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX
I'm happy that Austin has peaked in terms of attraction. we jumped from 250k to almost 600k in less than 10 years. Now we have those who are deciding to stay or go and that number should level out around 550K by 2013. that's plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Wait, what? If you're talking population you sure do have some goofy numbers.

1850 629
1860 3,494
1870 4,428
1880 11,013
1890 14,575
1900 22,258
1910 29,860
1920 34,876
1930 53,120
1940 87,930
1950 132,459
1960 186,545
1970 251,808
1980 345,496
1990 472,020
2000 656,562
2010 790,390
Yes, his numbers are absurdly incorrect.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM

157 posts, read 321,359 times
KP - thanks for the perspective. I'm originally from Chicago as well. You paint whet seems to be a pretty" fact-based" picture separate from your personal feelings. I think most people have an innate urge to defend their choice and it will be interesting tho hear others views....

Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM

239 posts, read 516,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
KP - thanks for the perspective. I'm originally from Chicago as well. You paint whet seems to be a pretty" fact-based" picture separate from your personal feelings. I think most people have an innate urge to defend their choice and it will be interesting tho hear others views....
Actually, I've edited and added more....

Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Amen!

And most are frightened by honesty and OPINIONS that differ from their own.

The Statesman is a perfect example (is it still published?) of this lame-o, wishy washy, Texan manner. No real opinion, no snark whatsoever.

Any opinion that is outside of the box is considered "negative". Zero room for a heightened, spirited, lively discussion.

Let's keep it all nice-y. And BOOOOOOORING.

I'll bite....Not true. I think it may depend on who you're talking to, but I know quite a few Texans who think outside the box and aren't all nice-y. They WILL let you know their opinions. I would say that's just painting everyone with a broad brush.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
Ah, if you are originally from Chicago . . . then you might not like it hear at all. No pro sports, and a big town feel not a big city feel. The landscape and history are completely different. Some years there will be NO days when you can open your windows and let a clear breeze waft through. Some years there might be 10 days like that. Nothing like the variety of ethnic restaurants, or restaurants period that you can get in Chicago. No museums or cultural offerings that can compare.

Austin is a whole different thing. Charlotte might disappoint too.

I've lived in Chicago briefly as has my spouse. We have many friends who continue to live in Chicago and love it. We have Chicago-raised friends who live in Austin whose parents -- despite wanting to be close to grandchildren -- have never moved down because in so many ways, Austin does not "fit" life-long Chicagoans.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

No data on boomers retiring to Austin (AustinGuy)? Let me bring you up to speed a bit:

Baby Boomers Retiring in Texas - YouTube

Also, check these out:

Baby Boomers Make the Move to Austin
Baby Boomers redefine retirement - WeAreAustin.com

As for Austin97, I can comment on some of your points as we live in the Bay area:

While austin has great high tech for a city its size, it is still a backwater compared to silicon valley - maybe true, but housing in SV is the highest in the country - off the charts due to all the tech millionaires living there
2) My wife has bad allergies - my allergies are pretty much absent here
3) Bay area is a lot more intellectual, although austin is great - lots of brain power here for sure
4) Bay area is on the ocean for all sorts of great water sports - maybe, but it's not real easy to get to the ocean unless you live close (ie Marin) and aren't afraid of sharks

the cons of the bay area are that we would want to have 4-5 million in liquid assets to feel like we could afford to live there. - I can tell you the immediate Bay area (the better areas) are relatively unaffected by the housing crisis. An equivalent home here on a small lot will still cost you 3x as much as it does there. Much cheaper the further you go inland, but then say goodbye to ocean time.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM

We left Chicago years ago and don't have any expectations Austin or Charlotte would compare - I was merely mentioning it since kb was from there. We are very aware of the differences and would not move back to chicago despite all the good things there. been there done that to use an over-used phrase.

Last edited by wedmiston; 09-14-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
To use one of my Grandma's favorite sayings..."This too shall pass". A drought can hang on for a long time, but being pretty much a life long Texan I know that it will rain again. My neighbor across the street stayed in Dallas most of the summer and she said they would get rain from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin