Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

If you expect folks to sit down and eat, you'd better have some decent sides. If you don't let some good cole slaw bump into your brisket(better yet, pulled pork), you're missing the whole tangy+sweet thing! Same for beans...they need to be a little sweet to complement the smoke and salt of whatever meat you eat!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...there's no excuse for bad iced tea! If you go to Salt Lick, you need to bring your own tea, soft drinks AND ice! I'm a tough guy, but I can't stomach water that still has rocks floating around in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Coach,

Got me with the sides. Has anyone ever had bad bbq ever? bad pizza?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If you expect folks to sit down and eat, you'd better have some decent sides. If you don't let some good cole slaw bump into your brisket(better yet, pulled pork), you're missing the whole tangy+sweet thing! Same for beans...they need to be a little sweet to complement the smoke and salt of whatever meat you eat!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...there's no excuse for bad iced tea! If you go to Salt Lick, you need to bring your own tea, soft drinks AND ice! I'm a tough guy, but I can't stomach water that still has rocks floating around in it!
SL Driftwood's water supply is now off of city lines rather than their well. Consequently, in the past year its water/tea/soda is now better.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
I'm another one that likes Salt Lick's sides and doesn't care for their meat. Whenever I go (because I always get dragged there by out of towners), I get their sausage, the sides, and ask for Lauren's sauce (the habanero one). If we go family style, then I pretty much stick to the sausage and ribs.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Coach,
Bill Miller BBQ. Didn't even finish it.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Bill Miller BBQ. Didn't even finish it.
I second this. It was 12 years ago, but I still remember it being awful. Also Donns down near the Y was pretty bad when we went there about two years ago. Green Mesquite has been pretty hit or miss. We went to the one in South Park Meadows a few months ago and the ribs were so fatty I could barely eat them.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Of course, I never order lean brisket. Just order moist and maybe ask for some burnt ends. I wouldn't judge a BBQ place by their lean brisket, ever. That's like ordering a fine steak at a nice steakhouse and asking for it well done. They probably don't care what they serve you at that point, because no discerning diner or restaurant reviewer would ever order that.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Weird that everybody hates the sides. That's the only thing I really like there other than the blackberry cobbler. With all their meat, they miss a lot more than they hit, IMO. I've had excellent brisket there but 9 out of 10 times, it'll be mediocre.

Franklin >>>>>>>> Woody's >>>>>>> Smitty's >>> Cooper's > Milt's > Kruez > City Market
ok franklin lovers Ive only been there twice. Once it was ok, the other time it was dry. Considering I had to wait 45 minutes I wasnt inclined to try it again.

Rudys extra moist is consistent about 9/10 times it is spot on. And I can tell when they give me a bad cut so I ask for a different one.

The salt lick I ate at was the dripping springs one. BRING CASH. They gave the choice of burnt, lean or moist. I asked for super fatty.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
BBQ is often personal.

That said I could care less about sides. Any idiot with a knife, a pot, vegetables and basic condiments can make a good coleslaw or potato salad in 30 minutes or less, including myself. And no BBQ place in central Texas makes their mayonnaise from scratch, which I will do for a potato salad. Beans are a slightly more complex case. Since we are in Texas, it is all about the brisket. To smoke arguably the toughest cut of beef for 7 plus hours, you need the right pit, the right wood, the right rub, the right fire, the right cow, the ability to respond to to changing winds and humidity, in short a super-focused, experienced, and passionate culinary genius.

In these terms this is how I rank 'em from sublime to great to good in descending order. Franklin, Cooper's in Llano, City Market in Luling (my top tier, like I would drive or wait for another few hours for such deliciousness, some of the best food I have ever eaten anywhere and in any genre) Great: Sam's (and if you have high grease and gamey tolerance the BBQ mutton broaches the sublime), Live Oak (a little uneven, but on the right day, up there with with the top of the second tier) Smitty's and Kreuz's in Lockhart, Ruby's ( they are also genius with lamb).

Good: House Park, Black's in Lockhart, Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville and Louie Mueller in Taylor (also uneven, but there are so many variables), Rudy's - all locations - the moist brisket is a reliable pleasure.

Solid, unregrettable: Salt Lick in Driftwood - great atmosphere, but the brisket is never more than okay, County Line on Bull Creek ditto.

Bad, close to as bad as the pizza in this neck of the woods: Pokey Joe's (all branches I have ever eaten at), Bill Miller's ditto, Green Mesquite, Salt Lick in RR. Annoying travesties of a great culinary tradition, as far as I am concerned.

I am frankly worried about the second pit at Franklin. Aaron Franklin has John Mueller's pit. It takes years to for a BBQ pit to get properly seasoned - kinda like a pizza oven. And it is very difficult to produce sublime food in massive quantities, the chef has to delegate and attention wavers. Quality dilutes with quantity. And in well over a dozen visits, I have had one bad brisket at Franklin, But the other times - words fail me, in a good way.

John Mueller is opening up a new joint in South Austin. His last place on Manor Road, where Red House is now, was extremely good. I also have a friend in Boerne with a big ole smoker, whom I BEG to smoke me a brisket, anytime. There is a lot of passion, intelligence and experience around here about BBQ. There is no reason to eat even mediocre BBQ ever !!!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Coach,

I have never had good pizza in Austin. Passable yes, a few places, but good, never. I am still looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin