Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

I have tickets for Sunday at ACL, coming from Steiner Ranch, wondering what the best transportation options would be to get there with the least havoc?

I'm thinking of parking very far away, somewhere downtown and just walking as every transportation option seems to be frought with issues.

I'm really psyched and excited to attend. I just don't want a lot of headaches getting there and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,462 times
cBach, I drive a pedicab as a fun hobby, and I worked last year's festival, so I have a pretty good bead on parking. There are shuttle buses that pick people up for free around 4th street and the South 1st bridge, and it will take you to the gates, and that is a decent play as you then have a wider array of parking options and garages. However, if you hit it at the wrong time just when everyone is parking and heading to the event (around lunch time) the lines for a shuttle could be over an hour long, and you could still end up in traffic trying to get to the gate as cars block access to the roads the shuttles use sometimes. However, other times it could be a great and free option where you walk right up and hop on. I've used them during the kite festival.

A lot of people walk over the Lamar pedestrian bridge, and there are garages somewhat around that area. There is a big garage and lot at 4th & San Antonio, but a lot of shuttle people will park there. The festival says that it has the Palmer Events Center and that parking garage across from Hooters/Whataburger as their official garages, but those will get packed and fill up early. Unless you are arriving at an odd time, I wouldn't go near them.

I would definitely NOT try to park anywhere immediately near Zilker such as the streets around Barton Springs road, the street behind the Taco Bell, etc. You will get trapped in traffic and near-gridlock around the area. Even worse is if you decide to stay until the end of the night -- do that and you'll be leaving right when everyone else is leaving and there sometimes IS gridlock.

You can always hop on a pedicab too, as there will be hundreds of them out there, but considering the heat and the event they will be asking/hoping for at least $10 per person per ride, so that can get pricey. But you can bring your chair, umbrella, etc with you.

So in summary, my answer is it depends on when you're going. If you're going at an odd time you may wish to try Palmer or One Texas (the garage by the Hooters). If you're going during the rush, don't go near them. Otherwise, park at garages downtown and decide to either walk it or walk to the shuttle bus stop.

One last tip, if you think you might want a pedicab ride at the end of the night when you're tired, don't park anywhere up a big hill like in the Zilker neighborhood or up South Congress! I had two parents with a small child offer me $80 to take them up into Zilker (they lived that way) and I declined, and so did everyone else because our legs were shot.

And mind your Ps and Qs when you park. APD will be handing out tickets for anything and everything, including facing the wrong way on the street when parked against the curb (I got this ticket in front of my own house).

Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM

101 posts, read 383,622 times
If I were going, I'd park far away, as you suggest, put my bike in the car and ride to Zilker. There are lots of bike racks at the ACL site (I've seen them this week). Maybe find somewhere to park the car near the eastern part of the hike and bike trail, that way you wouldn't be riding on the busy streets at the end of the evening.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,897 times
Park and ride from republic square puts you at the gate:

Capital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas (http://www.capmetro.org/acl2011/index.asp - broken link)

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I've used the Republic Square shuttles for past ACL festivals and it works out well. You just have to remember what parking garage near there that you parked in. The parking garages around there have been $10 per day in the past for ACL. Be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes or longer in line to get on the shuttle when you leave ACL for the night. If the last act wasn't somebody that I cared about that much, I would get in line for the shuttles during their set otherwise you could be waiting in line a very long time.

"Ride the Shuttles
There is no parking at Zilker Park for the ACL Festival, so take the free shuttle instead – a short hop to the park! Board at Republic Square at the corner of 4th & Guadalupe streets and you’ll be dropped off at the Festival entrance on Barton Springs Road. When you’re finished rocking, hop back on for a return trip. The shuttles begin at Republic Square at 10AM and make their final return from the park at 11PM each day of the Festival."

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,043 times
Do you have bikes and a bike rack for your car? Park downtown somewhere North of 6th and pedal the rest of the way. I think we parked around 8th and Lavaca a few years ago. Its an uphill ride back unfortunately so I seem to remember getting the car while my wife waited. Another year 3rd base downtown was charging $10 for garage parking and it included a $10 voucher to use inside so we parked, drank a few beers then walked to ACL, its a long walk but also convenient. You might want to call about this.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
...Another year 3rd base downtown was charging $10 for garage parking and it included a $10 voucher to use inside so we parked, drank a few beers then walked to ACL, its a long walk but also convenient. You might want to call about this.
I'm on Third Base's email list, and I just got a note saying that they are doing that again this year.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I have tickets for Sunday at ACL, coming from Steiner Ranch, wondering what the best transportation options would be to get there with the least havoc?

I'm thinking of parking very far away, somewhere downtown and just walking as every transportation option seems to be frought with issues.

I'm really psyched and excited to attend. I just don't want a lot of headaches getting there and back.
Wow ACL is insanely lucky. Only 82 degrees outside and overcast.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Yeah, just walked to lunch and it felt (relatively speaking) wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin