Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times

Advertisements

Can't help but to post this. This thinking is insane! I love trees but if they are a fire risk and dead/scrubby then let's clear them! Thoughts?

Fearing fire, West Lake Hills residents work to ease tree, brush cutting rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:28 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I know it's tempting to think that the answer is cutting everything down. But it is very true that if you buy a house in the woods, you take on that risk. Yes, they should deal with the legal buffer zones, clean the dead stuff from their gutters and roofs, and all the other recommended and legal steps. We can control some things, but not everything. So leveling the forest out of fear seems entirely the wrong direction to me. Humans are not the only ones living in the woods. We live with many risks every day, and fire is just one of them. Our house backs to open space, and when we bought it we were quite aware that there is some risk to living there. But we chose to make that trade-off for the other benefits. I would not even consider removing the forest behind us out of fear. People who are not willing to live with the risk should buy houses that are in more fire-retardant areas (more pavement, etc.) Lets hope that we get rain and that this becomes a moot point.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,459 times
I read this article too and it left me scratching my head. There is no HOA and they're STILL up to their necks in rules. If I wanted to, tomorrow I could cut down every tree on my property and spray paint my lawn purple. Or, remove all the grass and put in river rock (or anything else of my choosing). I would not have to get any permits, have any inspectors out or pay any fines. No one could say anything about it.

These people are asking for something completely reasonable and trying to reduce the risk of future fires. I thought that Texas was known for independent souls. Now I know why the Libertarian movement has traction in Austin. I'd hate the government too if it controlled my every move.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Who said anything about leveling the forest? Regulation should be expanded to allow the clearing of down dead trees and scrubby bushes given these conditions. I don't think we need to hack down oaks but to ignore an environment that is conducive to fires is ridiculous. The HOA is acting totally illogical on this. To simply pray for rain is crazy!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
You do realize that fallen trees both provide shelter for the creatures that live in the forest and as they decay, provide soil for the rest of the forest to grow and survive in, right?

Upon reading the article, it appears that the homeowners are allowed to remove vegetation that would be a fire hazard after requesting a permit to do so and having a city inspector come out and verify the necessity. Also, that the ordinance was modified to a certain extent in allowing cedar trees below a certain diameter to be removed without requiring that they be replaced.

Sounds reasonable to me - the homeowners are allowed to protect their property by removing what is necessary upon examination by a professional hired by the city to do so, but not to decimate the forest out of fear. (And some would do so, not realizing that what they should do is move into a high rise condo downtown or some such, instead.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: