Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:49 PM

57 posts, read 143,848 times

Advertisements

We've been contemplating a move back to Texas, either Houston or Austin area. I'm anti-Houston because of the extreme humidity, however, I've been tracking the temps for Austin since May on my iPhone and can't believe all the days that it's been over 100 degrees. Seems like it's been the entire summer.

I've heard that the heat is a little drier in Austin than in Houston, but really now... once it's over 100 degrees, I'm not sure it matters.

We currently live in a very dry climate where parts of July and Aug can be 100-106 degrees. It's not bad but I can't imagine the whole summer that way.

Is this a fluke for Austin or is it normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I think it was over 60 or 70. It's a little less humid than Houston, but it's not bone dry either. I love humidity, so that's a non issue for me. We're also in a severe drought. You have heard about all the recent fires right?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,302 times
We've had 85 days of 100+ temperatures so far (based on Camp Mabry readings).

Yes, it's been a hot, hot summer!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 15,582 times
Don't know about Texas, but here in Arizona we live with triple digit temps from June til October!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 PM

288 posts, read 717,045 times
Last stats I heard was 89 about a week or so ago.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidoremi View Post
We currently live in a very dry climate where parts of July and Aug can be 100-106 degrees. It's not bad but I can't imagine the whole summer that way.

Is this a fluke for Austin or is it normal?
I suppose you could say it's a "fluke" because we've set a record for the most 100+ days this year (previous record was 69 days), but even in the summers when we don't set as many records, it is still hot here all summer. There are also predictions that this weather pattern may be with us for many years to come.

The days that aren't hitting 100 are usually hitting 95+, with some exceptions. To me, that's still hot.

So I guess it depends on what your tolerance is. For some people, there is a big difference between 95 and 100+. To others, it's all just hot. But yes, it's not as humid as Houston.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM

563 posts, read 910,085 times
No matter where you live in Texas it's going to be HOT during the summer. It's also supposed to be dry (no rain) for some time to come so you should probably plan on next summer it being the same.

I'm from Houston so I can relate to your humidity woes. I've been going back and forth from all of the Texas cities for most of my life (Dad in Dallas; grandparents in both San Antonio and Austin) and actually spent a couple of years in Austin. When I was there the furthest thing from my mind was humidity. It was actually nice to hop on a freeway (or hill country road) with the windows down and feel a nice breeze flowing through my car that wasn't saturated with warm moisture. Once I finally moved back to Houston I KNEW I was back in Houston.

Austin has moisture in the air so it's not dry like the Southwest but "humid" is not a word I would use; I would say "not dry." I wouldn't go as far as to say "once it's over 100F it doesn't matter"... Would you rather a 100F temp with a 101 heat index (Austin) or 100 temp with 108 degree heat index (Houston)?

If you didn't like Houston because of heat you are definitely not going to like Austin because it's just as hot. Are you sure you don't want to stay in California?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 AM

43 posts, read 78,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticut snob View Post
Don't know about Texas, but here in Arizona we live with triple digit temps from June til October!
We actually set a record here in Phoenix this year for most 110+ days: 34! But this summer in Austin (I was there until July) has been equally harsh compared to the norm. I am sure y'all are enjoying some rain finally!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Is this summer a bit worse than normal? A record-breaking summer? Absolutely. But while this might be the most extreme summer on record by edging out a few temps, this weather pattern is not the least bit unusual.

It is common that we go months without measurable rain. It's common to have watering restrictions, for everything to turn brown, and to be in a drought. It is common to have hot temperatures starting in mid-May and for that to continue through most of September. There will be hot days in October as well. Most days will be in the high 90's through the low 100's, though some will be higher. It's not so much that Texas is hotter than other places, because there are places all over the country that get that hot on occasion. But when it's every day for 1/3+ of the year rather than a miserable "heat wave" week or two, it wears on some people.

Whether that's something you can tolerate or not largely depends on you. Some people can live up north where winter lasts for months, others can't. Same thing here.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Default OK, So How Many Days Was It Over 100 Degrees??

About 80 too many, if you ask me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: