Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM

71 posts, read 162,698 times

Advertisements

My family and I are new to town and are interested in recreation...anything outdoors, anything unusual/unique to the area, etc.

We are happy to spend a few hundred bucks to have some fun (example would be renting jet skis for a local lake, etc).

Maybe I should put it that way - what's fun for a family of 4, and for when we grab a babysitter where we can stay pretty local (within 30 min or so from downtown) and spend less than $500-600?

I'm hoping to hear about specific positive experiences people here have had with these local opportunities/businesses.

Lookin for ideas!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,811,245 times
Austin Celtic Fest, Wurstfest (New Braunfels) come to mind.

But there is lots more. Check this list:
Fall Events in Austin, Austin Calendar on Do512

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,731,512 times
Wimberley Market Day is fun especially as the weather cools a bit. First Saturday of the month. Spend as much or as little as you like:

Market Days - Wimberley, Texas - Lions Club - Visit our Outdoor Market in Wimberley

Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM

554 posts, read 1,741,959 times
Take a duck tour or seqway tour downtown, drive out to Luckenbach for some country music and a LoneStar beer, get some BBQ somewhere (Elgin, Lockhart, Salt Lick etc), or leave the kids at home and check out some area wineries. There are a rental places for boats and jetskis on Lake Travis but I'm not sure if they are still operating due to water levels. Just for Fun is one that comes to mind. There is also a zipline place although there may not be much scenery to look at after this summer.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 3,226,637 times
There is a new zip line place that just opened up on the northern shore of Lake Travis, don't have the url handy but you can probably easily find it.

Iron Horse Country Ranch
allows you to rent their dirt bikes and ride on their track/trails (assuming your kiddos are >8yo).

You can do some mountain biking at the various trails in/around town (e.g. Barton Creek greenbelt, Walnut Creek park). There used to be a mountain biking ranch east out towards Bastrop, but you'll have to check to see how they fared with the fires (likely not good). Check out the Austin Ridge Riders website for more info on local trails.

You can take a hike out at Enchanted Rock (a _very_ large "rock" (more like a big hill)). Lots of trails and some nice caves/crevices at the top to make things interesting. Bring plenty of water (probably true for any outdoor activity for that matter). A bit longer than 30 min (more like an hour to an hour and a half) though. You can swing south on the way back and hit Fredericksberg/Johnson City/etc.

There used to be a karting track at the airport (I think they've closed, but it was supposed to be "temporary") that you could drop in and rent some karts (real karts, not kiddie land type of go karts). Might be worth checking to see if they've opened back up.

Doing a "wine tour" like mentioned above is also fun and relaxing for when the kiddos stay home.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 3,226,637 times
Oh, also forgot a couple of more things like:

- renting a canoe on Town/Ladybird Lake (or kayak, or paddle surf board thingy, or go sculling).
- skydiving can be done in a few locations around Austin (there is a place in San Marcos for instance).
- every once and a while I see a hot air balloon off in the distance (south east I think) so there is likely a hot air ballooning place close by.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,613,005 times
All of the things mentioned are fun, but some are further than 30 minutes from downtown. There are so many things to do all over at that time of year, I wouldn't want to limit myself too much with commute restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin