Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 23,996 times

Advertisements

HI.

I know that there are a zillion posts on best areas, schools etc, but trying to disseminate them is difficult, so Ill try with a question and hopefully some kind people ;-) will help out.

My family and I (including 2 girls 5 & 7) are moving to the US from the UK in November for work purposes.

I have looked at Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, Dallas-FW and even ABQ, NM. I have now decided on somewhere near Austin I guess, as I went the way and booked our flights to Austin.

We still have no accommodation arranged which we need to do asap. My preference would be to find somewhere where we would not need to keep moving schools as my girls have been desplaced enough by now. UK, France, Netherlands already.

Its time I was fair to them and try and find a definitive location.

One of my new colleagues recommended Lakeway, which appears far too expensive for me.

My requirements are to be able to get to the airport as my work will be away every week and preferably to be in a 'quiet' area.

I like the countryside and big cities are not my thing at all. But of course dont want to be completely cut off neither.

The reason I am asking this is that most people ask about floor plans and great schools etc.

I dont care about floor plans (being European I guess). Of course I would like a decent school for my girls, but as long as they can a decent education as opposed to a top notch educative path then we would be happy.

Dripping Springs seems okay, but not sure about the area at all.

thanks

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
Dripping Springs (and the surrounding area) is very nice...but someone else will have to answer the airport question b/c I live in the far northwest suburbs.

Taking 183 (partly a toll road), we can get to the Austin airport in about 30 minutes. But another little known secret is that the Killeen airport is the same distance and really easy to get in and out of. If you really want to live in the country, this opens up the possiblity of living in the outskirts of Leander or Liberty Hill...even closer to Killeen. Liberty Hill schools are good as are Leander ISD.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 158,109 times
The Manchaca area and the Circle C areas I mentioned in my PM are both very quiet and have the countryside feel you mentioned (Manchaca more so than Circle C) and the airport is only about 25 minutes away...And there is a lot of new infrastructure springing up with in a 5 min drive. It has all the comforts of country living with the convenience of the city very nearby.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM

27 posts, read 114,357 times
I live in the Dripping/Driftwood area and love it. Good schools and your commute to the airport won't be bad, especially at off-peak hours. PM me for any detailed questions you may have.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM

99 posts, read 485,855 times
I just wrote a bit about Belterra which is a master planned community with a country feel out between Austin and Dripping Springs. See the post under the thread "Highpointe".

Schools are good and the community has a great feel.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,805 times
If you aren't looking for brand new, you might look at houses on a small amount of acreage in 78736. It's a nice zip with new communities and older ones (70's), plus a good amount of rural. 10 minutes from good shopping so much closer in to the airport and amenities than Dripping Springs. I live in a new community in the zip and there are no "bad parts" of the zip that I know of. Plus the rural parts are mostly slightly older and less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin