U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:57 PM

27 posts, read 51,537 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin from Philly. I'll probably attend Austin Community College and wanted to hear any opinions & experiences. I know the Community College here is crap...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,656,500 times
I attended there a few semesters. There are some UT professors that teach there as well. What in particular do you expect out of a "good" Community College? It's a pretty good school, if you ask me. But I did have a professor once who basically passed anyone who simply attended class, so that's not entirely "good" when you wanna get a decent education.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,313,199 times
My daughter attends one of the ACC campus' and is overall impressed with the CC. She has attended another CC and a 4 year University, and she thinks she is getting a quality education at ACC. Several of her teachers have taught both at UT and ACC.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,074,305 times
ACC has very high success ratings for its students.

ACC Student Performance

Quote:
  • ACC feeds into area four-year colleges and universities such as the University of Texas at Austin, Texas State University-San Marcos, St. Edward's University, Concordia University, Huston-Tillotson University, and Southwestern University, as well as Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University, UT-San Antonio, and UT-Arlington, among others.
  • Data shows ACC students perform as well as or better than native four-year university students.
    • According to numbers from the University of Texas at Austin, ACC transfer students entering UT-Austin in fall 2009 earned an average 3.1 GPA after one year, compared with 3.02 for UT freshmen (and 2.9 for other Texas community college transfer students).
  • More ACC students go on to obtain a bachelor's degree than students from most Texas community colleges

Other performance measures

Overall, workforce licensure pass rates for ACC programs are among the highest in the state.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM

14,769 posts, read 32,671,425 times
ACC used to be, and maybe still is, a bit of pot-luck. I took several classes there over the years and have had both excellent teachers and really bad teachers. ACC generally pays their teachers well (entry level is much higher than UT), so you can get some folks who know what they are doing. OTOH, I am not sure what kind of oversight they do to ensure quality teachers or what impetus they would have to do so anyway.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 AM

554 posts, read 1,654,905 times
Most people attand ACC so they can get their first few years of college out ot the way at a lower cost then transfer elsewhere to complete a major. Others are there for specialty training or job programs. I'm currently enrolled at ACC at night for an IT certification program.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM

356 posts, read 870,542 times
I took some classes there (Rio Grande) while going to UT, and I liked every class I had.

The smaller class size was refreshing too!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,608,849 times
It's one of the more quality community colleges in the nation. They also have a very close relationship with UT.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM

440 posts, read 1,618,834 times
Their lack of communication between advisors/counselors to students is EXTREMELY off-putting.

I do like the professors for the most part, but I also use "rate my professor" to find ones worth taking. I don't want a professor to GIVE me a grade, but I don't want to be a complete hard-ass that will have me struggling to keep my GPA up.

Having attended Lonestar in Houston, as well as ACC here in Austin, I will say that Lonestar offers a broader selection of courses. Either way, CC is great to get your basics out of the way, and transfer to a 4-year to complete your degree.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 6,528,320 times
I have not taken any courses at ACC, so I can't comment on that. But I am very disappointed in the biology courses that are offered. They offer only basic or survey classes. One would expect general classes at a community college, but I was hoping for some more specific classes, too. At the CC where I moved from, I could take Ornithology, Mammalogy, Herpitology, Botany, Entomology, world agriculture, parks and open space stuwardship, etc. (not offered all at once, but on a rotating basis.) Its sad that ACC seems to work only for young college students, and doesn't look much at community educational needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin