U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 PM

5,087 posts, read 3,449,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
By what evidence do you think decisions are made based on Texags?

Like it or not - it is a vastly better message board than any of the UT boards (hornfans, orangebloods, etc.) put together. But I don't think it carries much weight overall.

As for firing RC....he was not the best coach. That was Jackie Sherrill. RC was a fine coach. Not sure if he should have been fired or not. But he was very slow to adapt to Mack's recruiting skills. The talent battles had strongly tilted towards Texas.

UT hit a home run with Mack. But the other two Macks were not so special. And you guys replaced Fred Akers with David McWilliams?

I liked Mike Sherman. I think I would have given him one more year. But it is hard to argue against firing a coach who was 25-25 after four years, and should have had an 11-1 season.

It is a silly game to talk about freak plays and bad luck. That is an endless waste of time. Every team, every coach, has a "if not for x y and z" story. What if Mack hadn't tried to pad McCoy's stats in his senior year and had given Gilbert a proper amount of playing time?
Sherrill was a dirtbag cheater who left 3 major programs with NCAA sanctions. He had no business coaching in college football.

Fred Akers should never have been hired, nor the succeeding two Macs. Brown screwed Gilbert's handling, but "padding" is just as common everywhere in the B12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
Time for Mack and DeLoss to go...Mack Brown wouldn't make a pimple on Darrell Royal's ass and I'll be damned if he passes him for total wins at Texas...I played for Coach Royal...Brown is a (bad) joke.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM

12,924 posts, read 13,339,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sherrill was a dirtbag cheater who left 3 major programs with NCAA sanctions. He had no business coaching in college football.

Fred Akers should never have been hired, nor the succeeding two Macs. Brown screwed Gilbert's handling, but "padding" is just as common everywhere in the B12.
You are just as selective in your reasoning as any fanboy. Mack's stat padding for McCoy was dumb. It was just an attempt to win the Heisman, it didn't work, and he was left with an unseasoned backup QB.

As for inept administration, lets not forget overpaying the coach in waiting - Muschamp. It was a dumb idea from the get go - and turned out just like it was destined to.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
BTW - I wouldn't fire Mack after this year. He needs another year with his new coaching staff. The defense appears to be well on its way back to where it needs to be. The offense is......(insert synonym for mediocre).

QB play is awful. It seems to me that some of this staff is being hogtied by the fans desire to relive history (McCoy to Shipley) and their inability to get Ash where he needs to be.

Look at the development of Pachall at TCU this year for a contrast. Started the year a newb, and now playing like an experienced team leader.

I think they have made poor quarterback selections... How does TCU replace its starting quarterback so easily but Texas can't seem to find a legit quarterback? TCU also develop its player much better than Texas does...Mack Brown is a great recruiter but not a good coach IMO.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM

5,087 posts, read 3,449,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I think they have made poor quarterback selections... How does TCU replace its starting quarterback so easily but Texas can't seem to find a legit quarterback? TCU also develop its player much better than Texas does...Mack Brown is a great recruiter but not a good coach IMO.
You are correct. Texas has messed up with several QB recruits.

I think they rely too much on the "star" ratings. But Gilbert was a no-brainer to recruit. His failure was obviously due mainly to coaching screwups which hindered his development & subsequent loss of confidence. A real shame, because he had all the tools to be a really good one. Hope he fares better at SMU.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
I think Ash is a better qb than McCoy

Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM

12,924 posts, read 13,339,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You are correct. Texas has messed up with several QB recruits.

I think they rely too much on the "star" ratings. But Gilbert was a no-brainer to recruit. His failure was obviously due mainly to coaching screwups which hindered his development & subsequent loss of confidence. A real shame, because he had all the tools to be a really good one. Hope he fares better at SMU.
Everyone wanted Gilbert. No fault recruiting him. He probably wasn't quite as good as everyone thought - because Lake Travis HS is simply an outstanding high school team and almost all of their QBs are good. I agree though that Gilbert floundered at UT because of his coaching and lack of playing time as a freshman. I also heard that Gilbert's dad insisted on no-redshirt. Gilbert might have been well served to redshirt.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times
Default Fire Mack Brown of Texas and Here is Why

No other coach in America has done less with the talent pool he has had over the years. Good people and those of you who really know the game or have played will know this. Winning is a culture. Brown has failed at winning when it counts the most. Yes he will beat Iowa State, Yes he will beat Texas Tech, Yeas he will be the OSU Cowboys here at there, but he will not beat any other teams that are of the same status or talent. His main calling card is the 05 championship team. Yes he was the coach but let us look inside the data on the 05 team. If you look at the offense, they were led by one man. If that man went down it was over and thank God he never did get hurt. But what does that say about a whole team and the coaching? At a program like Texas that should never be the case. He can not coach and bring up talent like Saban or Chip Kelly. He is the nicest dude but a sorry coach and he is soft. The team takes on that personality and they are soft, will not tackle, and they give excuses like their head coach. Saban would never allow that in practice later on the game. People please wake up. It is time to thank him and to let him go. As I talk to players in high school and college, they say Texas is rigid, old fashioned, old uniforms, all about nice facilities and big things but no bite to win. It is the coach and I said this 5 years ago. So enjoy another humiliating beat down at the hands of OU and make up excuses for him. He is smart to say all the right things and yes will follow up with a win against Baylor and you will accept that junk. Its time for change or you will see this for years to come. Can you imagine a killer instinct minded hard nosed coach would do with all the talent at Texas? It begins at practice behind closed door when teams get shaped by the coaches. Also let us come into the 2012s by adding some life to the uniforms while honoring tradition. Players in high school tell me all the time that Texas needs some life added to help enthuse them to wear the colors. I am from Texas but I travel all around the country and I can tell you Texas is seen as stuck in their old ways and although there is rich history at Texas, these kids want to be included in the shaping of new traditions mixed with the old. There is no lack of talent but if you have played you know what I am saying. Talk to players folks, they don't like white see through pants, and the same old jerseys with a big TEXAS written on the front of the Jersey as if they don't know who they play for..LOL. Big old numbers that take up the whole jersey front..LOL Come on Texas come into the new age. They want fun uniforms with alternates designs while still incorporating all the traditions, and that is not small if you have played the game you know. I would love to help

Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,024 times
Mack Brown needs to be fired today people. You need only to look inside the data. He fails time and time again when it comes to teams that are of the same status. Texas can not beat a ranked team, Texas loses to its biggest rival by 30 plus two years in a roll. New Big 12 member, WV hangs 50 point on Texas at home! He struggles and loses to OSU, Baylor, I mean I can go on and on. Its the same old story, he is ashamed, he will do better, he will work hard..LOL. Texas is soft and anyone who knows football or has ever played knows that teams take on the personalities of their head coaches. He might be the nicest old dude I know, but he is holding us back. We need a no excuse coach with a killer instinct attitude that reflects in everything the Horns do. We need a coach that does more than collect talent and lose each year. Guys I said this even in the 2005 season. It looked like the team was not always the best coached even though they had a run of super star at QBs (VY and CM) Good coached teams get more out that talent. Look at Nick at Alabama. Do you see a super star like VY or Colt at QB? the answer is no. Yet they win regardless because they are a sound coached all over in all phases of the game. Mack is the highest paid but he may have only 2 or 3 Bug 12 championships to show for in his 12 plus years in. Oklahoma owns him, ranked teams own him and its a shame. We need to stop this today. Please the university because we are. We will stop spending money flying to Austin to come see that mess. He needs to go!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,753,625 times
So how much are we paying him to coach? Highest paid state employee, great use of tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin