Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
I'd probably have switched the grass for something else if the HOA wasn't agains 'native' landscaping.

Much less costly and time consuming to take care of a yard when there's no grass in it.
We just moved from Austin to Albuquerque and most homes here have xeriscaping with pebbles, gravel, stones and native plants. It can look very beautiful. The house we bought happens to have grass and native landscaping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Well, one of my solutions is that, even though my HOA wants us all to have lawns, I am going to increase the size of the garden areas in my front yard, and plant with native/low water plants. Then when, at some point in the future, it becomes obvious that no one can reasonably have a lawn, and the HOA changes the rules, at least some of my yard will be xeriscaped. I am also going to tear out the grass in my side yards (behind gates), put in decomposed granite or similar, and just some pots and planters.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am also going to tear out the grass in my side yards (behind gates), put in decomposed granite or similar, and just some pots and planters.
I've been slowly doing that to my yard. Love decomposed granite and it's inexpensive when bought by the yard and delivered vs. buying at HD or Lowes.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Stage III restrictions? I have completely ignored stage II restrictions and have no plans to alter my watering schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I read that Austin has moved into Stage III water restrictions, which would prohibit all automatic and hose end sprinkler systems, and allow hand watering only. I got this on an email sent to me by the Barton Springs Conservation District. Perhaps they are recommending it, but the city hasn't put it into force. Has anyone heard more about this?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I just wanted to mention that native plants are dying too due to the drought. They can only take so much. The hardiest plants that we have are the yucca, eleagnus, ligustrum, and yaupon holly. i've watered my yucca probably once during the drought, and it was because I had to. Normally it gets all its supplemental watering from the environment, but this time I actually had to water it. Same with the others I've listed. The drought is unprecedented and I think restricting people to no supplemental watering is a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Stage III restrictions? I have completely ignored stage II restrictions and have no plans to alter my watering schedule.
I hope you get fined

Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Ah, geez, you just had to bite, someguyatx

Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
Yeah I couldn't resist we need some activity this week anyway. I'm sure the reason he/she/it waters every day is because all the neighbors own large SUV, Rick Perry, or UT football anyway. So now that thats out of the way lets move on

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
I hope you get fined
I'm hoping my neighbor meant that he QUIT watering weeks ago and will not have to concern himself with additional restrictions. Some of the yards out here look like the owners haven't watered all year.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
My neighbor ignored watering restrictions all year, and would go out and move his sprinklers at 2 am to keep watering his lawn and not get caught. He was the only person in the neighborhood with a green lawn. He watered every night.

Today he ripped up his entire lawn to put in an underground sprinkler system. All the grass he broke the law and selfishly watered, he killed and ripped out of the ground.

It takes all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: