Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
So don't go to restaurants where smoking is allowed.

It's a choice.....or should be.

We don't eat in smoking areas anywhere.
Absolutely agree. Those who wish to live in a nanny state should be reminded, firmly, that this is Texas, and we believe in individual responsibility and rights, and DON'T believe in catering to whiners who think that they have the absolute right to dictate what others do so that they won't be in any risk of being offended. Or to those who feel the need for everyone to have a nanny because THEY want or need a parent from cradle to grave.

No, I don't smoke. But I think those who are dead set on regulating everything from smoking to transfats to salt (and, yes, there are laws about all of those) so that others do not have the choice of what to consume (one of the more personal rights there is) are much more dangerous than smoking could ever be, and to many more people.

I recommend required reading of 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
"A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite and it leaves one unsatisfied." Oscar Wilde.

This regulation is puritanism- plain and simple. I am an ex-smoker who likes occasionally to walk behind a smoker on the streets, and catch a nostalgic whiff of that delicious, urbane, civilized aroma - only outdoors. Even when I smoked, I was not fond of excessively smoky interiors, and found airport smoking rooms disgusting. For secondhand smoke to become a health risk, you need daily if not continuous exposure. It is a minor aesthetic irritation - no worse than sandals and socks - but it must be clamped down with the full puritan force of the self-righteously pure of lung: no-one should have any pleasure that does not suit your definition of pleasure. Part of being civilized is not to mind being minorly inconvenienced by the pleasures of others, and I really did not need another reason to DETEST Laura Morrison - the chief NIMBY, mother grundy, anti-democratic ***** of the Austin City Council. She should be forced to recount all of those 38 000 discarded cigarette butts herself. That's more votes than what she got.
Im against the smoking bans in austin, but I do get why they are in place. A lot of this depends on your level of trust unless you have read the actual research articles. So no, it is not just a minor aesthetic irritation.

Secondhand Smoke and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
<<What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?
There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Even low levels of secondhand smoke can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke (4). >>

<<Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. National Toxicology Program, the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have all classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (a cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5, 7).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4, 5). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The U.S. Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).>>

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im against the smoking bans in austin, but I do get why they are in place. A lot of this depends on your level of trust unless you have read the actual research articles. So no, it is not just a minor aesthetic irritation.

Secondhand Smoke and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
<<What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?
There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Even low levels of secondhand smoke can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke (4). >>

<<Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. National Toxicology Program, the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have all classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (a cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5, 7).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4, 5). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The U.S. Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).>>

Bah, we don't need facts, this is Texas. Also, I have been trying to understand the idea of "nanny state". I cannot seem to understand the fear of Texas becoming a nanny state when it's already a police state. Also, it seems to me when these issues come up the only thing the people against smoking laws have are insults. I'm all for freedom and "rights". However, when someone clamors for their "right" to do something when it is injurious to others it isn't a "right" at all, but a demand to harm with a disregard for others because they feel their "right" to do harm takes precedent. It isn't a matter of being offended, it is a matter of harm.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Bah, we don't need facts, this is Texas. Also, I have been trying to understand the idea of "nanny state". I cannot seem to understand the fear of Texas becoming a nanny state when it's already a police state. Also, it seems to me when these issues come up the only thing the people against smoking laws have are insults. I'm all for freedom and "rights". However, when someone clamors for their "right" to do something when it is injurious to others it isn't a "right" at all, but a demand to harm with a disregard for others because they feel their "right" to do harm takes precedent. It isn't a matter of being offended, it is a matter of harm.

Sigh.

In a ACTUAL police state you don't get the opportunity to vote for the city council that passes the law. Not to mention I don't know why you are blaming all of Texas for this, when the OP is talking about an Austin specific issue.

Everyone on this thread is just complaining complaining about police state police state. Calm down. This is not that serious of an issue, we don't have to cry Nazi and Police State EVERYTIME something we dont' like happens.

There are numerous laws governing your personal activity in public. For Instance, it would not be legal for me and 30 of my bestest friends to walk into the middle of Zilker Park and have a massive coke fueled orgy. Even though our orgy would not be harming anyone else (no second hand smoke that I am aware of) it is still illegal for me to do that. I can have all the orgies I want in the privacy of my own home, but I don't do that stuff on a public street.

It really isn't that different with smoking. It's a nasty disgusting habit, and you can avoid doing it for the 15 minutes it takes for you happen to be walking thru a public park. A little self control never hurt anyone. And the lessened fire hazard from the people that think cigarette butts magically can't cause fires (we know a few of them that post on this very forum) is only an added bonus.

You can't have open containers downtown, you cannot blast your radio while walking down the street, No orgies after 2PM. How is smoking in public parks any different? "Police State?" Give me a break people.

OR, and this is a fresh idea. How about some of the people complaining the most actually MOVE to Austin. Live in the city, and vote your own representative on the city council?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM

316 posts, read 877,219 times
Got to reaffirm one of the previous posts. Nanny state? Not yet. Police state? Absolutely!

As long as the city council can keep making new rules. Actually, i agree with this one. The extreme heat has made most brush a tinderbox. Add the carelessness of the smokers. And the health effects are well publicized. If you are smoking, please do not exhale.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,003 times
we do in fact live in a police state. it's just more subtle than previous ones...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM

243 posts, read 279,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Sigh.

In a ACTUAL police state you don't get the opportunity to vote for the city council that passes the law. Not to mention I don't know why you are blaming all of Texas for this, when the OP is talking about an Austin specific issue.

Everyone on this thread is just complaining complaining about police state police state. Calm down. This is not that serious of an issue, we don't have to cry Nazi and Police State EVERYTIME something we dont' like happens.

There are numerous laws governing your personal activity in public. For Instance, it would not be legal for me and 30 of my bestest friends to walk into the middle of Zilker Park and have a massive coke fueled orgy. Even though our orgy would not be harming anyone else (no second hand smoke that I am aware of) it is still illegal for me to do that. I can have all the orgies I want in the privacy of my own home, but I don't do that stuff on a public street.

It really isn't that different with smoking. It's a nasty disgusting habit, and you can avoid doing it for the 15 minutes it takes for you happen to be walking thru a public park. A little self control never hurt anyone. And the lessened fire hazard from the people that think cigarette butts magically can't cause fires (we know a few of them that post on this very forum) is only an added bonus.

You can't have open containers downtown, you cannot blast your radio while walking down the street, No orgies after 2PM. How is smoking in public parks any different? "Police State?" Give me a break people.

OR, and this is a fresh idea. How about some of the people complaining the most actually MOVE to Austin. Live in the city, and vote your own representative on the city council?
Well, since smoking is a fire hazard, then would you support the permanent banning of all outdoor grilling in Austin parks as well? Sparks go flying off of those grills.

The second hand smoke from grills is also deadly, and puts out more smoke than a lonely cigarette does.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM

243 posts, read 279,336 times
If they pass this ordinance then I expect the City to enforce the Alcohol Ban during Blues on the Green. I see numerous people opening flaunting the alcohol ban, and the police look the other way.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
Well, since smoking is a fire hazard, then would you support the permanent banning of all outdoor grilling in Austin parks as well? Sparks go flying off of those grills.

The second hand smoke from grills is also deadly, and puts out more smoke than a lonely cigarette does.

This would only make sense...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post

I was under the impression that during this heightened fire risk, no outdoor fires were allowed in Austin right now, including grills in parks.

I think that the grills in Austin's Park are surrounded by pea gravel/crushed stone and have safety precautions built in. I would have no problem with people smoking in parks if the city would build a designated smoking area for them to go where they could put out their butts safely. Just like there are designated grilling areas.

Nothing is perfectly safe, but there is a difference between a picnic area that has a dug out trench for grills, and someone smoking while walking fido.

I feel due dillegence has been performed here. Not to mention the fact that people don't carry grills around on their backs. If I want to avoid smoke for whatever reason, I can avoid the grilling areas. I can't avoid your nasty cigarette b/c you are an addict and can't go 5 minutes without sucking down your drug of choice. Hypothetically speaking of course.

My main problem is not that smokers are dirty stinky people though. It's the numerous people on this board that cry "police state, police state!! Nazi!!" and basically get their knickers in a twist. A democratically elected council passing regulations in response to specific needs is not Nazi Germany. Everytime we don't agree with someone, we call them a Nazi. It's just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin