Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM

25 posts, read 36,631 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have used City Data as a resource many times before. I just posted a similar thread on the Bradenton-Sarasota forum, because the decision is between Austin or Florida.

I'm helping my boyfriend's parents move from Denver to Austin. They moved to Colorado from Pennsylvania 3 years ago after retiring (ages 68 and 72). Denver is a little too cold for their liking. I know Austin can get cold in the winter, but it's mild compared to Denver. They want to move to Bradenton, Florida, but I think Austin is a much better place to live. They currently live in a trendy neighborhood in Denver. They like going for morning coffee at a local shop and they walk to happy hour everyday at a hipster bar. Everyone loves them and treats them like their own grandparents.

I've searched the forum but would appreciate any current recommendations about neighborhoods, apartment complexes etc - good, bad or ugly. We are trying to find a 1BR rental under $800. They are open to senior living.

I know their budget is low compared to Austin's standards. They currently live in an income-restricted high rise in Denver. I just want to make sure they are safe wherever they move.

Thanks so much in advance!

p.s. I should also add that this quick move is not approved by me. I wish they wouldn't rush into the decision. I am very sad they are leaving. We're trying to convince them to fly out for visits if my boyfriend and I can take the time off work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee29 View Post
They want to move to Bradenton, Florida, but I think Austin is a much better place to live.
If they want to move to Bradenton, Florida, why are you checking out Austin? Have they asked you to search out other possibilities?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Yes, there have been a long list of potential locations. Last week it was Cannon Beach, Oregon. Before that it was Arizona, Alabama and New Mexico. Earlier this week they almost signed a lease in New Port Richey, Florida. Then they found a complex in Bradenton this afternoon but it was in a bad neighborhood too. I'm just trying to find out as much as possible to help them with their decision. Just want them to be happy and safe.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 PM

60 posts, read 127,802 times
Check out the crime rates in Bradenton - appalling. Austin's much safer.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
There are plenty of nice apartments in Austin for $800 a month or less but some are a bit out of the way. It sounds like they are looking for adventure so I would suggest simply encouraging them to visit wherever they want to move first.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
My wife and I moved from Denver to Austin years ago, we still have family there. We were not at retirement age back then, but we have retired here now and have no plans on leaving even though we have no relatives in the area.

The winters are definitely mild compared to Denver. It is a real treat to rarely ever have to drive on snow and ice packed streets. And we enjoy many nice sunny days with mild temperatures during the winter.

Apartment occupancies are at an all time high currently since the recession killed off most of the financing for new housing and apartments. However there has been a lot of news recently about numerous new apartment complexes starting construction.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments is a good map based resource for finding apartments in Austin. It allows you to set filters for size, price and some amenities.

I tried it out and found a good number of apartments available in your size and price range in decent neighborhoods. They may not all be as walkable as you described but at most they are a short drive from everything your parents will need. High rise apartments are less common in Austin except in the immediate downtown area. Your parents would probably love living there but the prices are mostly much higher then your preference.

We love the SW Austin, Legend Oaks, zip code 78749 area where we live. There area a fair number of retired couples living in the area. See my comments here http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...gend-oaks.html

A padmapper search did not turn up many under $800 in this area. I hesitate to recommend any specific apartments since we have not lived in one for a long time. Another neighborhood I would recommend is around Far West Blvd. A google map search turns up lots of apartments in any specific area. Apartments near Austin, TX 78749 - Google Maps

There are numerous apartment locator services in Austin that provide free assistance in finding apartments.

There is an Extended Stay Hotel in 78749 if they need a place to stay while looking for an apartment. Austin - Southwest, Overview - Extended Stay America

There is also a decent inexpensive small motel that offers longer term rates and is near shopping and restaurants of every type. Austin Motel, Southwest Austin- Heart of Texas Motel

I assume you are talking about Denver proper, which I compared in the following. The total crime rate in Austin is a little higher than Denver, but its mostly thefts, violent crimes are lower in Austin than Denver. Poverty rate is slightly lower in Austin, unemployment is significantly lower. Racial breakdown is very similar. You can read a lot about the Austin demographics here http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

This Trulia Crime Heat map is very useful for understanding what areas of Austin have the least crime. It uses color coding to indicate high crime areas based on annual crime statistics and also shows black dots describing more recent crimes in each area. Keep in mind that any place which has a lot of parking lots like apartments and shopping centers will show higher crime rates mostly due to theft from vehicles. For example it shows downtown Austin and the Universty area to be high crime areas, but I have never felt unsafe walking around either of those. I few aeas I do recommend avoiding as a place to live is around Rundberg Lane in N. Austin, East Riverside Drive, east of IH-35 and Far East Austin around Springdale Road/Airport Blvd. Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
To clarify... by "East Riverside Drive, east of IH-35" I meant ..East Riverside Drive - East of IH-35". "East Riverside Drive - West of IH-35" would probably be a neighborhood your parents would enjoy.

"East Riverside Drive - West of IH-35", when I moved to Austin, used to be predominantly college students, but more recently it seems to have become an area that attracts low income residents, regardless of any educational affiliation or aspirations.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-21-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
Checkout Georgetown Texas, not Sun City if they don't want that but its a great little town.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks for all of the help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the detailed advice!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
You could also check out Wimberley,New Braunfels and some areas around San Antonio too SA is only an hour from Austin.

Welcome to Wimberley

New Braunfels Texas

New Braunfels, TX - Official Website

Boerne CVB, TX - Official Website

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce | San Antonio, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin