Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM

14 posts, read 15,495 times

Advertisements

so i just got a job promotion and had the choice to live anywhere i wanted to for work in Texas. my choices really were in my opinion Austin, Dallas, or Houston based on my feelings and what I read.

I am a 29/yr old recently single male into sports, lifting, tech and finance...
(i used to be a personal trainer and am a def gym rat)

i have lived the past 7.5 years in Tampa and grew up in Massachusetts went to school at UMass - Amherst.

i am relocating for my job as i got a promotion thru work after 7 years, so this is a big step...

what im looking for is somehwere where everything is in close proximitity whether it be my gym, super market, not a huge bar guy but enjoy it time to time, coffee shop, meeting women, meeting people, going for walks / bike rides, good weather (i'd rather hot than cold after living in Tampa i like heat)...and good single life...

cost is not an issue really id like to be $1300 max ...i want to live in the best spot with the best amenities...+ closest to everything

i was down to Dallas and Austin and told my company i wanted to choose Austin....did i make a good choice??

if Austin then where should i live? i heard downtown, but if im searching downtown what = downtown like streets or name of the area.... i have never even really been to texas..

pls let me know any questions i'll be 100% honest...

thanks in advance,

mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankduke View Post
what im looking for is somehwere where everything is in close proximitity whether it be my gym, super market, not a huge bar guy but enjoy it time to time, coffee shop, meeting women, meeting people, going for walks / bike rides, good weather (i'd rather hot than cold after living in Tampa i like heat)...and good single life...

cost is not an issue really id like to be $1300 max ...i want to live in the best spot with the best amenities...+ closest to everything

i was down to Dallas and Austin and told my company i wanted to choose Austin....did i make a good choice??

I hate to tell you, but cost is an issue! $1300 max will not get you into the best spot with the best of everything and close to everything! Rents in deluxe apartments downtown, the Triangle, SoCo will be higher than that. You can live out farther like the Domain, or stay in a central location close to everything but live with somewhat lesser amenities. I'd recommend option two! You need an apartment locator!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
If you are going to be traveling (flying) for work I think I might go with DFW or HOU just to make that somewhat easier in life. That said it is do able maybe not right downtown so you might have to drive somewhat..Go luck to you maybe some single guy will answer these questions for you.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 15,495 times
i appreciate the good points...

so in my range what are the areas i should be looking in, in your opinion for my age lifestyle?? these places are still pretty legit im assuming...

if i have the money what would be a good place to look downtown....what are the streets/areas called?

would dallas have been a better choice based on my situation?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Move to Austin, it's far better than Dallas.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM

275 posts, read 416,454 times
If you've never been to Texas and you're from Massachusetts, I doubt you'll like it here. It's very hot. I know you said you like heat, but we have heat that goes on for many months. Also, the big cities are very crowded now. Traffic is horrible, too. Our coastline looks nothing like Florida's where you are now. I wouldn't recommend Texas to you.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
If you've never been to Texas and you're from Massachusetts, I doubt you'll like it here. It's very hot. I know you said you like heat, but we have heat that goes on for many months. Also, the big cities are very crowded now. Traffic is horrible, too. Our coastline looks nothing like Florida's where you are now. I wouldn't recommend Texas to you.
The OP mentioned he liked the heat and preferred Florida to MA. Florida's heat goes on for many months, longer than in Texas, albeit less extreme in the hottest months.

The OP will love it here I think.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM

275 posts, read 416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The OP mentioned he liked the heat and preferred Florida to MA. Florida's heat goes on for many months, longer than in Texas, albeit less extreme in the hottest months.

The OP will love it here I think.
The OP has never been to Texas. I can't imagine someone who's been in Florida for awhile liking Texas, especially since Texas' beaches are nothing to write home about.

Texas is hot for many months of the year. True, the OP said he likes heat. Maybe he would like Texas.

Austin is very crowded. Not too many people are excited about more new residents. That may be something for the OP to think about, too.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Avoid Austin. Its horribly crowded, expensive, and extremely arrogant. The city of Austin is nearly 20 million dollars in debt and discriminates against any people that aren't middle to higher income. Austinites belive that Austin is the only city in the state when in reality it has spent (and will spend) it's entire existance chasing after the big boys (Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio) In my opinion, Dallas is the only city to live in within the state. But let me ask you this. Why would you HAVE to move to Texas? There are 49 other states to choose from, aren't there???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Move to Austin, it's far better than Dallas.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Avoid Austin. Its horribly crowded, expensive, and extremely arrogant. The city of Austin is nearly 20 million dollars in debt and discriminates against any people that aren't middle to higher income. Austinites belive that Austin is the only city in the state when in reality it has spent (and will spend) it's entire existance chasing after the big boys (Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio) In my opinion, Dallas is the only city to live in within the state. But let me ask you this. Why would you HAVE to move to Texas? There are 49 other states to choose from, aren't there???
eepstein, you and nativetexasgal should get married, your thought patterns are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin