Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
our old house was south facing, I think that is by far the best direction. It turns out when it is too hot a pool is not fun, the north side pool was great as the pool didnt get quite as much sun, but sometimes still too much. South facing means solar panels on the front portion of the roof which was ugly

The house was shaded to the east and west by other houses.

big trees in the front yard shaded the front of the house (didnt want them in the back because they drop leaves into the pool).

Our rental faces west so the garage gets really hot. Too hot to store heat sensitive items.

Our new house faces east and has a great view. Tons of giant windows facing west. The garage and garage attic stay nice and cool. We havent moved in yet, so we will still have to see how bad west facing is in the summer.
Good point about the garage. Another reason why my plan about a north facing home is wise. The garage is facing north which means the sun never shines into it, keeping it cooler in the hot summer months.

For pools with too much sun exposure, a fountain in the pool cools the pool down a bit as it works on evaporation.

It's not fun to swim in the shade on an early spring day in a pool even if it's heated because when you get out you freeze. If it's in the sun then it feels great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
In certain parts of Austin that are becoming predominantly Asian and Indian, you're at great advantage in the selling market if you have a house that faces East and you can see the back door to the house when you stand in the open front doorway, creating a straight "energy field" that enters East and exits West.

Who knew.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM

445 posts, read 413,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In certain parts of Austin that are becoming predominantly Asian and Indian, you're at great advantage in the selling market if you have a house that faces East and you can see the back door to the house when you stand in the open front doorway, creating a straight "energy field" that enters East and exits West.

Who knew.
True, except for the fact that Inidians rarely buy preowned homes. Most of them will opt for new homes if they can afford.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Who knew.
Wow Indians would love the 9th Ward of New Orleans with its east to west shotgun houses...

Old 03-20-2018, 01:12 PM

103 posts, read 113,336 times
Front and back doors being aligned is bad for Feng Shui.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM

163 posts, read 158,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
It's a relatively insignificant detail (but I like to cover all the bases), but are there any benefits in which direction an Austin home faces?
You want your front door/bedroom windows to face Northeast, so that it gets early morning sun, but doesn't face the sun directly in the summer.

You want your living spaces, dining room, back windows to face Southwest, so that it gets afternoon and early evening light, warmth in the wintertime, but doesn't directly face the sun in the summer.

These directions are also ideal placements under Feng Shui and Vastu.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
You want your front door/bedroom windows to face Northeast, so that it gets early morning sun, but doesn't face the sun directly in the summer.

You want your living spaces, dining room, back windows to face Southwest, so that it gets afternoon and early evening light, warmth in the wintertime, but doesn't directly face the sun in the summer.

These directions are also ideal placements under Feng Shui and Vastu.
Actually this creates non-ideal conditions in the winter. This means the front of the house is in perpetual shade in the winter but sun in the summer so it makes it difficult to decide which kind of bushes/flowers to plant.

This also creates a situation where half of your house gets sunrise and sunset in the summer as each corner of your house is effectively a compass point. You get two walls with extreme seasonal variation and two walls with high solar input.

This is, however, a nice orientation for a corner lot and a backyard pool as the backyard gets adequate sun and the corner lot provides nice various shade and sun areas to do different things.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM

18 posts, read 40,918 times
After living in an apartment for two years with a courtyard view and windows facing west it got very hot in the evenings, and made it difficult to wake up in the mornings. I now live in an apartment with a courtyard view and windows facing east and I wake up easier in the mornings and it's cooler in the evenings.

I've also lived in houses and so I would follow a similar plan in the future - bedroom windows (and kitchen) facing east.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times
I found a very cool website that shows you the direction of the sun throughout the day at a particular address: Suncalc.org

Put in the address of the property in the "Computation path for the sun:" field in the upper left, then use the slider at the top to zoom through the hours of the day to see exactly how the sun will hit your house at any time of the day, as well as a lot of other interesting information in the left column.

I wish I had discovered this before I bought my current house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: