Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Did the model differ from what you purchased? I've heard of that. Does that actually happen? Do they change things?
When we built our house they did. But that's because they changed models/floorplan series in the middle of building our home. The model we bought from had more upgrades that were standard. Some things I had to fight and fight for (mantle on the fireplace) some things they wouldn't give me until I found our list of "standard features" (nice stove), other things they made me pay for at cost because I couldn't prove that the salesman told us it was standard (molding on the kitchen cabinets). I never thought I'd have to walk through the model with the salesperson and make them put every little thing in writing. Pictures are even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Did the model differ from what you purchased? I've heard of that. Does that actually happen? Do they change things?
Nope, they actually included a few items they said were extras - (2nd garage door opener, extra lights in the media room). I would recommend you really check out the wiring and make sure you have the lights where you want / need them and any other wiring.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,007 times
Streetman is a great builder. The owner of the Company Mr. Streetman prides himself on building a quality product. They are one of these builders that just builds as many homes as they can, they only build about 150 home per year and do a great job.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:31 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I can say that we have a Newmark and had to get a toilet re-seated. The wood flooring had also been damaged, but Newmark took care of it all under warranty with 0 out of our pocket. We bought the house 1 year after it was built, so we did not go through the building process.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
We did the same thing as Trainwreck20. We've been in the house for 2 weeks not and we're ok with everything. The inspector said it was very well put together (just minor nitpicking).

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 20,066 times
Angry My Experience with Newmark

In my case, there were broken tiles, carpet installed wrongly, bathroom leaking, crack in the ceiling, doors not meshing. They agreed that these are all problems and agreed to fix them in writing. But nothing has been done. I go back and forth with their customer service. If you think you will only move in after all the items are fixed, then you will have to wait for a while and may not be able to use your already locked in loan. So there are practical difficulties to hold them at the time of buying. So if you are like me, you will move in. You will feel comfort in the fact that they have promised in writing that they will fix all the stuff. Also, you will not be able to see all the issues until you lived there a little while. My experience has been terrible. I do not want any customer go through the terrible experience that I had. If you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, you deserve better.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-18-2007 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are not allowed here; I edited out everything but your direct experience. Please refer to the forum TOS.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
We bought a NewMark, actually one of their Fedrick Harris homes. They have been great to work with but agree, you need to get everything in writing and as much of it done before you close. Do take lots of pics, and of the model as well.

One thing I have seen is the finish work on homes here really sucks. That goes for 120K homes to 1Mil homes. It's the same crew doing the finish work and it is not what it was like in Seattle where there were more craftsmen doing that stuff who took pride in their work.

I was stunned to see the trim guys painting the trim with huge brushes instead of air spraying them and then installing the boards. It's the little stuff that doesn't get done right in your house that will drive you nuts!
My friend's dad is a builder in NY and when he came down to look at their new house he was horrified at workmanship - so much so that he then went to a few open houses and new subdivisions to see if his son's house was an aberration. In his opinion it was not. He half-jokes about moving down and building quality houses since no one here is doing that.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
Smile Streetman home is awesome

I built a home by Streetmen and moved in an year back. I have to say, I am extremly happy. There were a few issues (relatively minor) after the move in. They corrected them all and I was impressed with their customer service and maintenance/fixing crew. They basically make it possible for you to put your input (if you want) in during the building process. I will recommend them highly. I only heard mostly good views from my neighbors about them. When I read all the horror stories about builders, I sometime have a hard time to believe it. But again there must be builders behind these horror stories. So whatever it is worth, streetman is not a horror story.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM

28 posts, read 161,769 times
How about Standard Pacific? Anyone have experience with building a Standard Pacific home and want to share? We just signed a contract with St Pac recently.

Thanks
KZ

Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,274 times
I bought a Newmark home in Houston in August and I will NEVER NEVER EVER recommend this company to anyone. I actually work for another builder and I thought I was getting a good deal we got a steal of a price but got a LEMON of a home. Constant problems from day 1 and its all stuff that was just overlooked by people that dont seem to give a crap. The work is sloppy, we had a home that was half the price before this and in the few months we've been in this home we've had more warranty work than the whole 5 years we were in our last home. NEWMARK IS REDIUCLOUS...stay away...its horrible!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin