Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:41 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker2010 View Post
What has been your neighbors experience for :
false alarms
how fast do they call you once they detect a break in
how fast do they send cops

do you need to have a phone line?

I currently pay ~$43/month including taxes. But my contract will soon expire. Overall I have been happy with guardian service, but $43 ever month seems a little expensive for it.
We use Sloan as well... I BELIEVE that most of the Alarm companies use most of the same monitoring stations/calling centers anyways, no matter who you pay. Go with the big boys (ADT, etc) if you need a system installed and just want to lease-to-own the equipment, but if you have the equipment installed, Sloan or someone is the way to go. Otherwise, when the alarm is set off, they all call the same number/people for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
We also use Sloan and have been very happy with them.

No false alarms, when set off it was my house sitters and they called the house and my mobile number right away. Cops showed up within 5 minutes. The monitor station is a UL monitoring station. My brother has an alarm company in another state and he confirmed that the alarm stations are mainly the same and that ADT/Brinks... are basically low life companies that use scare tactics to scare people to use them.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
I'm interested in switching since ADT is ridiculously pricey, but Sloan gets some seriously negative reviews in the various review sites. Glad to see people here think differently.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
I'm interested in switching since ADT is ridiculously pricey, but Sloan gets some seriously negative reviews in the various review sites. Glad to see people here think differently.
I have absolutely nothing to do with Sloan so I'm not advocating for them or what not (I couldn't care less who y'all end up using)... but I wonder how much of those negative reviews or what not have been put out by competitors. We built a new house last/this year (closed in March) so we were inundated with the preferred company of the builders and then solicitors after the fact. I would tell them all I already have a service, they'll ask who, I say Sloan and I always get "ooooooooh (with the grimmace), have you seen their horrible reviews?" I'd always say yeah, I've heard, but I've had them for X number of years at my old house and they were great... followed up by an "oooooookay, good luck (like you'll need it)" type of response. A few would say "wow, I wouldn't trust my house in the hands of a company with all of those bad reviews..."

Considering how much a few of the companies we interacted with before Sloan led me on and screwed around, I wouldn't put it past some of them to pull that stuff.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
Wow, $10/month for monitoring!? That's a really good deal...will look into it. Thank you everyone for the recs!
This sounded interesting, but check out the website and read the fine print. They charge extra for all sort of things.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM

170 posts, read 446,471 times
We've had Sloan for at least 6 years. Super happy with the service, no extra charges for us. We do have a land line so it's always $120/yr. They installed it for us and we've had no issues.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This sounded interesting, but check out the website and read the fine print. They charge extra for all sort of things.
Only "extra" charges I'm aware of are all of the upfront charges to get your system up and running. Otherwise, it is a straight $10/month (1 $120 yearly payment) for basic monitoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: