Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 PM

404 posts, read 710,075 times

Advertisements

these cold fronts are something else, i'll tell you what.

its interesting how the cold air creates so much wind from the pressure change... tree branches start falling all over the place. be careful out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,257,027 times
Ah yes, winter in Austin. What other place in the country can have 90+ days of 100 degree temperatures, and then have windchills in the 20's by early November (and likely in the single digits and teens by january)! We'll have to see what this "tropical" Austin winter has in store this year. We we exceed 20 freezes? More snow, more ice? More windchills? Just another way to KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!!!

Note to City Chamber of Commerece, you did NOT JUST HEAR THAT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
these cold fronts are something else, i'll tell you what.

its interesting how the cold air creates so much wind from the pressure change... tree branches start falling all over the place. be careful out there!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times
We went out and trimmed our trees last weekend, since the last cold front that had high winds was causing a few to brush against our roof. It would be nice if there was a little rain to go with the wind .

Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 AM

285 posts, read 565,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
What other place in the country can have 90+ days of 100 degree temperatures, and then have windchills in the 20's by early November (and likely in the single digits and teens by january)!
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City - to name a few. Except in Dallas and OKC the threat of truly severe weather (e.g., tornadoes) is much higher.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,554,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
We went out and trimmed our trees last weekend, since the last cold front that had high winds was causing a few to brush against our roof.
That's a good call. I need to get out there and trim my trees the next time that it's not too windy. The last estimate that I got from a professional tree trimmer was around $700 for something that I can do on a Saturday myself.

I'm almost considering putting up the Christmas lights sooner than later and just not turning them on for another few weeks. It seems like I always wait until the weekend when it's 29 degrees out to string my lights the last couple of years.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,045,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City - to name a few. Except in Dallas and OKC the threat of truly severe weather (e.g., tornadoes) is much higher.
And of course Dallas is notorious for ice storms.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,764,005 times
Quote:
Ah yes, winter in Austin. What other place in the country can have 90+ days of 100 degree temperatures, and then have windchills in the 20's by early November (and likely in the single digits and teens by january)! We'll have to see what this "tropical" Austin winter has in store this year. We we exceed 20 freezes? More snow, more ice? More windchills? Just another way to KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!!!

At least you spelled WEIRD right this time

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,017,312 times
Quote:
Ah yes, winter in Austin. What other place in the country can have 90+ days of 100 degree temperatures, and then have windchills in the 20's by early November (and likely in the single digits and teens by january)!
Dallas. And I think their hail is even more crazy than ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
Nah, Houston's too close to the coast to have frequent hard freezes. At least not like these other cities, for sure.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,857,182 times
Quote:

are you complaining that it's too cold or are you complaining that it's not cold enough? or are you complaining that there's only a small number of winter days? or are you just complaining just to complain?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,257,027 times
Dallas had 69 days at 100 or higher. TRY AGAIN......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Dallas. And I think their hail is even more crazy than ours.

Nah, Houston's too close to the coast to have frequent hard freezes. At least not like these other cities, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin