Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM

662 posts, read 1,444,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I have to wonder too, because I've lived most of my life here and never had that happen either. Sometimes if you go to a festival, there are evangelical types pushing literature, but I don't equate that to being chased on a daily basis about my faith or lack thereof. I also get the random Mormon or Jehovah's Witness at my door, but I tell them I'm not interested and they go away.
The OP was curious about the differences she might find about religious attitudes in the North vs. in Austin, TX. This is the only reason I brought up the issue.

Nobody said they were "chased on a daily basis" about their faith. I certainly found living in Austin to be fine, as I mentioned in my post. On the other hand, as compared to the north many people asked about what church I went to, Bibles were handed out on school grounds, etc. I didn't find this to be the case in the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
My family has been invited to a neighborhood Bible Study before, but never chased about any issues. If you're offended by being invited to something like that then maybe it would be an issue for you. I know that there are some very religious people that live around me, but they never try to push their religions on anyone. I don't consider an invite to a Bible Study or their Church as offensive at all.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM

355 posts, read 919,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
The OP was curious about the differences she might find about religious attitudes in the North vs. in Austin, TX. This is the only reason I brought up the issue.

Nobody said they were "chased on a daily basis" about their faith. I certainly found living in Austin to be fine, as I mentioned in my post. On the other hand, as compared to the north many people asked about what church I went to, Bibles were handed out on school grounds, etc. I didn't find this to be the case in the north.
No one's "chasing" us around. But it's everywhere. And I don't think anyone said they were "offended" or "frightened" by Big Christian. Exhausted and annoyed is more like it. And when I see on c-d that someone from up north who isn't religious, is thinking of moving down here, well, I think I ought to warn them a bit. If they can afford to live in the downtown/central Austin bubble, awesome. If they move out into other areas of Travis and Hays, look out.

It's not just a matter of people trying to convert me--I don't think they are, necessarily. But when you don't believe that God infiltrates our daily life, choreographs the outcome of football games, disapproves of words like "crap" or "*****", or gives people who pray/worship a better station in the afterlife, you won't have many other people to talk to in my neck of the woods. I don't think homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice" for example. I've heard this more than once around here. If you believe this, I'm pretty much done with you, and I do not want my children being around this mentality.

And to the Horse & Rose lover--I don't think you can *see* that this is an issue because you are part of the majority. Take a kid in a typical Texas high school and plunk him down in a predominantly Jewish one on Long Island, NY, and I'm guessing he'll be able to pick up on the differences pretty quickly.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
There has been measureable snowfall in this area for the past 3 years. (2 separate snowfalls last year) In addition, I can remember a decent size snowfall around Valentines Day 2004. (3 inches in certain areas I believe??) There hasn't been a decent ice storm since i've lived here, but im sure there will be one coming soon.

I am not aware of any other city where you deal with 90+ 100 degree days in the summer, and then deal with windchills and snowfall in the winter. KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
WTF are you talking about? I can count the snow events of my 28 years in SA/Austin on one hand and if you want to add in the ice events, I'll add in my second hand. Almost all of those are 1 day events with the exception of Jan 07 which lasted 3 days (IIRC). So yeah - snowfall every year - exactly. I believe I've seen snow accumulation 4 times - the good sized one in '85, then maybe 0.1 in and 0.25 in (forget the years), and then whatever you got this past winter (we had ~0.5 in where I was).

Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
Oh, I'm sure my daughter would notice the difference if I did that to her. It's not that I can't see that that happened to him. I was just saying it hadn't happened to me. But honestly, how would some random evangelical on the street be able to know whether I was a christian or not? Seems like they would go up to anyone. I don't dress, like a conservative and still hang on to a bit of my "Punk rock" past, and like casual clothes over dressing up.

My good friend in NY married into a Jewish family. She moved there from Texas and it took her a while to get used to the differences, but she did it, and also introduced him to Texas and he has his favorite parts of our culture now too. At the hotel bar after the wedding, I visited with the grooms parents. A group of hasidic jews had gathered there for a group date. His dad said that that was not a practice that his branch of judaism did, but he explained to me what they were doing and why the men were dressed so traditionally and wearing the hats and had the long hair/sideburns and why the women were not dressed traditionally, but in nice going out dresses and all done up. It was interesting to learn about these get to know a potential mate "mixers".

Sorry to ramble on, just a personal experience of mine dealing with religion in another city.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
"Limited experience"? LOL. Sadly, I'm coming up on the 20 year mark. If it hadn't been for the financial crash, we'd be gone.

I've lived in Western Travis county, downtown for many years, and yes, Austin is far more 'religious' than the other 3 states I've lived in.
Seriously, enlighten us. So Austin is more religious than the other 3 states you've lived... but what is wrong about Austin being so "religious"? I always here about this "religious" issue and how people don't like it... what's the big freakin deal?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find it fascinating that people who are not from Texas think everyone in Texas is anti-abortion, when Sarah Weddington (the attorney in Roe v. Wade) is not only a Texas native, was married at the time to a Texas Congressman, but went on to serve in the Texas legislature for three terms (which means she got elected here in the 1970's, after arguing and winning that case before the Supreme Court).

Prejudice is a very insidious thing.
And it's coming from people who consider themselves NOT prejudice. Go figure.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
Quote:
No one's "chasing" us around. But it's everywhere. And I don't think anyone said they were "offended" or "frightened" by Big Christian. Exhausted and annoyed is more like it. And when I see on c-d that someone from up north who isn't religious, is thinking of moving down here, well, I think I ought to warn them a bit. If they can afford to live in the downtown/central Austin bubble, awesome. If they move out into other areas of Travis and Hays, look out.

It's not just a matter of people trying to convert me--I don't think they are, necessarily. But when you don't believe that God infiltrates our daily life, choreographs the outcome of football games, disapproves of words like "crap" or "*****", or gives people who pray/worship a better station in the afterlife, you won't have many other people to talk to in my neck of the woods. I don't think homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice" for example. I've heard this more than once around here. If you believe this, I'm pretty much done with you, and I do not want my children being around this mentality.

And to the Horse & Rose lover--I don't think you can *see* that this is an issue because you are part of the majority. Take a kid in a typical Texas high school and plunk him down in a predominantly Jewish one on Long Island, NY, and I'm guessing he'll be able to pick up on the differences pretty quickly.
Okay, now this made me laugh out loud. You know this about me (and Loves Roses) how, exactly? I think, in my case, at least, you might find yourself more than a little surprised at the actual reality.

In any case, one doesn't have to be part of a majority or a minority to know whether or not one has been asked what church one attends, invited to a Bible Study course, or had religion mentioned in any way, shape or form.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:

You have no idea how offensive I find this post as a Christian myself. In other words, you're just annoyed by Christians for being Christians. How must a Christian be if you want that "christian" to talk to you?

I swear, I hung out in downtown all my life. I understand the majority of Christians don't act this way but, yes, I drink. No, I don't think homosexuality is a choice. No, I don't shove my beliefs in anyone's life at all. Yes, I voted for Obama. All of my friends knew I was a Christian... and these were the biggest "heathens" you could think of. Atheists, homosexuals, pro-choicers, etc. etc. etc. But guess what? It really, really wasn't a big deal. Most atheists in Austin, were not militant. One of my bestest friends didn't believe in God and it took him a while to understand how a Christian like me is capable of understanding a liberal like him and drink beers with him. I dunno... maybe I'm just unique but when you're annoyed by "christians" just for being "christians" it makes me wonder.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,016,095 times
Quote:

I must be blind. I don't live anywhere near central Austin. And I don't see religion "everywhere." Unless I drive by a large church on Sunday mornings when they have a cop directing traffic, I just don't see it. I don't see billboards. I see some fish stickers on cars. I have been active in some school district committees. I go to kids' sporting events. And I don't have peope asking me about church, nor asking to pray before a meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin