Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Tony C's and The League have common ownership. Tony is Tony Ciola, whose family owned the now closed Ciola's in Lakeway, which is now the location of The League. You'll love The League. Think sports bar with better food, ala Cover 2 and 3. But an even enter family vibe than those two.

Was up north today at lunch, so I went to Dart Bowl. If they had yellow gravy on their CFS, I'd swear I was in the sorely missed Stallion. Melt in your mouth CFS, real mashed potatoes, 2X salad and tea for $7.25. If you haven't gone, you are missing an Austin icon - and there aren't many left.

Well, I'll be switched! Almost 5 years here and I knew nothing about the Dart Bowl!(Remember, we're in really north Austin...2222 is 'in town' for me.

Back to Tony C's, I hope it's not too ambitious to open side-by-side restaurants(some serious square footage). I fear our last 'transplant' with a Bee Cave-ish connection isn't faring so well.(Don't want to jinx them by posting their name).

That corner will be a traffic nightmare if the businesses are popular. Oh well, we had 4+ years of relative quiet before Pearson Place and this corner went gangbusters.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,970,898 times
Elevation Burger on Anderson Ln.

It was great! Had a double meat with cheddar cheese. Delicious. I need some exercise though

Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 AM

782 posts, read 1,100,482 times
I tried A+A Sichuan Chinese on the recomendation of austin-eater.com and his list of "38 essential austin restaraunts." I haven't been disapointed with any of his recomendations in the past. In the past is the key here.

I don't know if I would necesarily call this a disapointment, but I also guarantee that this is not one of the best 38 restaraunts in Austin.

The hot and sour soup had a great broth, a definate kick of spice, was overall nice, although the tofu was not handled the best and I would have prefered more mushrooms. We had steamed dumplings, and the filling was quite nice but the outside was much too gummy and heavy and the dipping sauce definately underwhelming. I had the mongolian beef and my date had the sesame chicken. Both were technically cooked flawlessly - the veggies perfectly cooked and cut. Seasoning/sace wise it was good but not great though.

I would definately go back and like to sample more of the menu, but I also wouldn't classify it as a "best restaraunt in Austin" category, or anywhere near the list of best chinese restaraunts that I have had.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,106,083 times
If you order Americanized Chinese dishes at A+A Sichuan or Asia Cafe, you are going to walk out sorely disappointed at your meal. They specialize in dishes from the Sichuan province and they do a great job at these dishes. They do a terrible job at the Americanized Chinese stuff.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

782 posts, read 1,100,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
If you order Americanized Chinese dishes at A+A Sichuan or Asia Cafe, you are going to walk out sorely disappointed at your meal. They specialize in dishes from the Sichuan province and they do a great job at these dishes. They do a terrible job at the Americanized Chinese stuff.
I love authentic asian dishes, and have alot of experience with the cuisine - the sessame chicken was my girlfriend who is not very adventurous. I will definately give it another try but I can't say that I see any way that it is considered a "top 38" restaraunt in the area here.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I tried A+A Sichuan Chinese on the recomendation of austin-eater.com and his list of "38 essential austin restaraunts." I haven't been disapointed with any of his recomendations in the past. In the past is the key here.

I don't know if I would necesarily call this a disapointment, but I also guarantee that this is not one of the best 38 restaraunts in Austin.
Eater's 38 is spotty, and I think purposely so. For instance, I HATE Polvo's. it's on there. Plenty of folks hate Matt's (which I love), and it is on there.

I put more faith in Mike Sutter's 55. A+A isn't on there. Asia Cafe is. With some tips on how to order.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
We finally made it to Torchy's in RR. True, pricey for the size of the taco but still really good. My daughter really loved it.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,970,898 times
Went to Lockhart for some good ol' Central Texas style BBQ. Ate at Black's and then picked up some brisket/sausage to go from Smitty's Market.

I liked the meats from Smitty's Market better though I didn't try the sides there. The macaroni, creamed corn, and potato salad from Black's were all good. Loved the grimy atmosphere at Smitty's, you order your food right in the blackened BBQ pit room. Ahh the smell of BBQ... mmm.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Stuck our heads in the door of the "Blue Bayou" which has 'replaced' the above discussed Barry's Waterloo at Avery Ranch. Menu will need some refinement(I think it was thrown together for the weekend) and looked like seating was slow even though they weren't full by any means. We decided to drop by another time to check out the new incarnation.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,142 times
Went to Tony C's last night, just after 9pm, found it very quiet for a Saturday night. Wine is a bit overpriced, but the pizza is FANTASTIC!! Will go back just for the Pizza since it the best one we have found so far since we moved here last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin