Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM

677 posts, read 652,745 times

Advertisements

Last night had dinner at Via 313, a trailer on east 6th that has been highly regarded with it's "detroit style pizza". I have a monthly foodie group with some friends, and this was the pick of one of them. I have to say when I heard of this pick I was kind of let down, as although I enjoy alot of trailers, this just didn't seem in the same class of the kinds of places we usually try.

Well, after having eaten there ... what a great night we had. It's in the parking lot for the Violet Crown (the bar, not the movie theater), and the pizza was simply amazing. Very good, very fresh, the staff very kind and giving alot of input and recomendations. They bring it to you inside (or out), where we are kicking back and having some great priced draft beers, with a great selection. We had a great evening hanging out there, and the pizza was great - definately recomend it!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:08 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Via 313 gets an authenticity thumbs up from my Detroiter DW and the two Michiganders across the street. I like it, but in truth, Jet's eight corner is about as good.

The Go Green three are all jazzed about Via 313's brick and mortar restaurant opening soon in our 'hood at the center at William Cannon and 290.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM

269 posts, read 428,121 times
As a Detroiter, there is no such thing as "Detroit style pizza" but via 313 is very tasty and my favorite pizza place I'm town. VIA 313 imitates the style of a local Detroit pizza chain named "Buddy's". The most authentically Detroit item on Via 313s menu is actually the Faygo, a local Detroit pop.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Detroit-style pizza is a style of pizza developed in Detroit, Michigan. It is a square pizza similar to Sicilian-style pizza that has a thick deep-dish crisp crust and toppings such as pepperoni and olives, and is served with the marinara sauce on top. The square shaped pizza is the result of being baked in a square pan, which is often not a pizza pan. Rather, industrial parts trays are often used, which were originally made to hold small parts in factories.

The crust of a Detroit-style pizza is noteworthy because in addition to occasionally being twice-baked, it is usually baked in a well-oiled pan to a chewy medium-well-done state that gives the bottom and edges of the crust a fried/crunchy texture. Some parlors will apply melted butter with a soft brush prior to baking. The resulting pizza has a warm, chewy texture that, when combined with the sauce and toppings, is intensely flavorful.
I've been to Buddy's, I've been to Cloverleaf. But when we go to Detroit, if I could go to only one pizza place, I'd pick The Alibi in Troy.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:08 PM

Pre-theater dinner at Barlata. We are so fortunate to have a tapas place of that high quality. Excellent warm tortilla Espanola, with a nice aioli. Ham and cheese croquettes while we waited on the exquisite paella. Fantastic selection of Spanish wines. Started with a manzanilla sherry, with the characteristic slightly salty tang, due to its aging right on the coast in the city of Sanlucar. Passed on the desserts to head down the street for ice cream at Lick. Texas sheet cake - creamy, chocolate-y, and plenty of pecans. Second scoop was Texas cafe au lait. One of the best in Austin.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

677 posts, read 652,745 times
I've been hearing great things about Easy Tiger on 6th street as far as the bakery, sausages and beer-garden they have, and so I decided to give them a go on my lunch today. They did have a good selection of beers and a fairly nice setting, and the service was very good and so on all of those fronts I would give them a thumbs up.

I ordered the German board, which comes with a pretzel, bratwurst, sauerkraut, german potatoe salad, a beer-cheese dip and a spicy mustard dip. the pretzel was excellent, that is sure (and gigantic to boot), and the brat was a good version, though nothing remarkable especially. The kraut is far too little served, and didn't have enough of that vinegar-y kick to it as I would like. It was like they tried to make an artisan kraut, but it came out more artsy and less "kraut-y". Thumbs down on both the size of serving and the product on that one. The german potato salad was good-ish, but nothing outstanding.

Overall, as a meal though ... for $15 for that German board I don't feel as if I really got value for my dollar. I would and will probably come back with friends to share some beers and probably order some pretzels. I might even give them another shot at some point for lunch. But at this point the overall result I would classify as "mixed".

Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,978,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Thumbs down on both the size of serving and the product on that one.
"Boy, the food at this place is really terrible."
"Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Annie Hall (1977) - Quotes - IMDb

Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
As a Detroiter, there is no such thing as "Detroit style pizza" but via 313 is very tasty and my favorite pizza place I'm town. VIA 313 imitates the style of a local Detroit pizza chain named "Buddy's". The most authentically Detroit item on Via 313s menu is actually the Faygo, a local Detroit pop.
Funny, I actually don't like their pizza and the few times I've had it the wait was forever. Too much cheese for me.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Yesterday I ate lunch at Jason's Deli over in Southpark Meadows. I had what I think was called a Johnny Cashew pork sandwich. It was kinda like a boneless pork chop with cashew butter spread on it, and some kind of dark red colored sauce. It was really good and I will definitely get it again.

I've been to Jason's maybe 4 times in the past year or so, and everytime the food has been excellent. It's clean, a nice atmosphere, polite and friendly employees. Everytime has been a good experience. I know it's a chain, but it's a chain based in Texas - Beaumont to be exact. I think they are a fairly new restaraunt chain. If the other Jason's are anything like the one at Southpark, they will be popular no matter where they open a restaraunt. I hope they do well.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:23 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
I bet there's a bunch of good bbq places inside the Detroit city limits. I don't know that Detroit is well known for it's bbq, though, not like Memphis or North Carolina is. I'm assuming Detroit bbq is pork, but I bet you can get bbq in Detroit thats just as good or better as any bbq you'd find in Memphis or North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin