Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM

677 posts, read 648,617 times

Advertisements

I went to Micklethwaits Craft Meats yesterday, and it was pretty good overall. I had a 2-meat plate with sausage and brisket. The sausage was clearly hand crafted, but while the flavor was good the texture was kind of off-putting to me, and so wasn't my favorite. The brisket though had incredible bark on it, and great flavor. Overall the brisket isn't up to the quality of places like Franklin's or La BBQ, but it's still really great and unlike the more popular places the wait is nothing here.

Also, another thing they did well was the sides. The potatoe salad was not only good, but a good counter ballance to the meats. The home made pickles that come with it are also really great. And honestly the best thing I ate was their cheddar-jalapeno grits that were absolutely outstanding.

Overall a real thumbs up to them, and I really want to try some more of their menu out in the future.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Sweetwater Tavern, Dulles Town Center. Had an excellent fried chicken salad with dried cranberries ...

Oh, wait. Is this supposed to be Austin restaurants?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 PM

997 posts, read 1,303,581 times
I've been there. That place would do well here, but I suppose it's kind like BJ's Brewhouse.

If you are in that area still, look up Dogfish and try to eat there.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I've been there. That place would do well here, but I suppose it's kind like BJ's Brewhouse.

If you are in that area still, look up Dogfish and try to eat there.
It's about 1000% better than BJ's. The guys that own it and its two sisters do a great job - Jackson's in Reston Town Center, Artie's in Fairfax, Coastal Flats at Tyson's Mall - all are good. Didn't realize there was a Dogfish in Chantilly until you mentioned it. I'm in this area about twice a month. Will try it when I'm closer. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Apis, in Spicewood. Really unexpected treat in that part of the woods. Creative menu - the equal of Odd Duck or Lenoir. EXCELLENT bar.

Looking forward to a return visit, even with the drive.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 AM

677 posts, read 648,617 times
So, continuing my BBQ them from last week, yesterday some friends and I decided to go try out La BBQ. I was excited to try this one, as several foodie sites and locals have rated it as even better than Franklin's overall, and the wait here is said to be almost as bad as Franklin's.

So, we showed up at about 10 o'clock for the 11 o'clock opening. When we arrived there were maybe a dozen others already there, but no real line, people were just sitting at the tables. We picked our spot, and we had brought a cooler of beers and mimmosas so we just kicked back and enjoyed our morning. People did steadily keep streaming in, and by 10:45 there was a large number of us, and at that time the employees asked for a line to start, and there was a mad rush of cattle to get in line. We wound up much further back than the order of our arrival. With only one window to push food out of, the line did go slow at first. It took us about an hour, but as we enjoyed our afternoon we watched new arrivals and figured that if you weren't there early it was probably close to a 2 hour wait through the line to get the food. Maybe just a bit less than that, but definately the bad side of 90 minutes at the very least. That said, it is still half the wait for Franklin's which in my experience takes 3 hours on a weekend to get through.

So, on to the food. How was it? Overall it was great, but I have some criticisms as well. The brisket was excellent. Great bark, pretty tender. It still doesn't reach quite the level of Franklin's brisket, but it's as close as I've found and I was very pleased by it. The pork ribs were supposed to be some of the best in town. They were super tender, and a nice level of smoke without being over the top, however I found the pepper to be VERY forward in the seasoning of them, to a point of really not being pleasant. I can't call it a bad rib, because it was cooked so perfectly, but I honestly wouldn't buy them again at the same time. The pulled pork? Heavenly, the best I've found in town so far. Absolutely deliscious. The sausage was also pretty good, though spicy - but that's a good thing for me, as I like spice.

On the sides, the pinto beans were excellent. The potatoe salad was very different. It had a spicy/grainy mustard that was very forward in the taste. It was an excellent potato salad, but that mustard was right on the verge of being overpowering. Some of the others at my table actually didn't like it because of that, I still thought it was very good though.

They have two sauces, one sweet and vinegary one that was good for the pulled pork, and another more traditional hybrid sauce that in particular I thought was very good.

So, overall I would say that this is second to Franklin's for me. I would say that the pulled pork, sausage and sides are better here, but while the brisket and ribs are close they are still surpassed by Franklin's and since those are kings of BBQ, I prefer THE king.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,363 times
I had Franklin for the first time today - brisket and turkey... divine!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Apis, in Spicewood. Really unexpected treat in that part of the woods. Creative menu - the equal of Odd Duck or Lenoir. EXCELLENT bar.

Looking forward to a return visit, even with the drive.
Not to be confused with Opie's, I reckon! YUM!!!

Opie's Barbecue - Spicewood, Texas - Texas Hill Country BBQ - Opies BBQ - Opie's Barbecue

Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beehermit View Post
I had Franklin for the first time today - brisket and turkey... divine!
How's that 'Drive-thru' they were working on last week?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not to be confused with Opie's, I reckon! YUM!!!
No Tater-Tot casserole on the menu at Apis.

Might clash with the Long Island Fluke and Louisiana Crawfish with crushed potatoes, fava beans, and chorizo that I had. Which was OUTSTANDING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin