Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM

677 posts, read 652,933 times

Advertisements

Had a visit to Arro, which was a place that had been very high on my "want to try" list for some time - and I must say I came away quite disappointed. It's kind of hard to quantify my experience there. I actually have a running list of my favorite/really good restaurants in Austin, and ranked. Over the years of this foodie group that I am part of there have been a few places we visited that were poor enough to not make my list, and I can't put Arro in that group. I see what they are trying, I recognize the quality ingredients, and i can't call it a bad restaurant. That being said, this was easily and by a long shot my most disappointing meal, and the least happy I was with an experience. Maybe that is because my expectation were too high?

To the details, I started with the lobster bisque. It was ok, though very rich. It lacked any textural component to make it the least bit interesting, and was over-the-top on the richness leaving it unbalanced. Other appetizers at the table: house made pickles were small but tasty. The pate was ok, but nothing special. The cheese plate a friend ordered, the goat cheese was really poor.

For my main I struggled to decide between the steak and the "Parisian Gnocci"; in the end I went with the steak, and it was not pleasing at all (another friend ordered the same and agreed on the negative review of the steak). There was a very unpleasant taste to it, I couldn't place if it was a slight marinade or a drizzle of some kind of flavored oil, but it was not good. The one thing that was a hit and ordered by a couple was the Croque Monsieur/Croque Madame. My girlfriend gave me a bite of hers and it was pretty delicious.

But our entire group (other than the 2 who ordered the Croque Madame) went away disappointed. Now, I will go back and try that CM myself sometime ... but outside of that I highly doubt I will return anytime soon.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Really tasty 'longhorn' burger at Top Notch on Saturday. Small FIAT owners' meeting there...gonna make it a regular thing on second Saturdays each month. Retro grilled burger with slightly charred edges and a griddled bun...yum. They are also known for their fried chicken(similar to the style I grew up with in South Carolina). The place is 44 years old and was a 'retro' design back then! Same folks own Zocalo and Galaxy, but this is definitely old school. Worth a trip!!!
Top Notch Hamburgers Austin Texas | 7525 Burnet Road
Retro, charred edged burger with a griddled bun. Damn fine burger!

Should one eat there? It'd be cool if you Did !

Old 12-18-2015, 08:27 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Threadgills on North Lamar. I had the chicken livers, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, butter beans and collard greens, and sweet tea. It was so damn good. So delicious. Theirs is the best chicken livers i ever ate, anywhere. About the only times I ever go to Threadgills is when I'm hungry for chicken livers. I don't care for their cornbread, though. What Threadgills is calling cornbread is more like muffins or cupcakes than cornbread. Not having real cornbread kinda messed up the butter beans because beans are always best with cornbread. But everything else was the best. No complaints here. Except the mashed potatoes were only luke warm and I needed to add some salt to the gravy, no big deal. Still mighty tasty and filling.. On scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate that meal about an 8.8. Chicken livers are out of this world. They gave me so many I took nearly half of them home with me, along with fresh full sides, too. So I had Threadgills for dinner and supper that day. Worth the price, for sure.
Great info on chicken livers (gizzards?) and butter beans, Spurlock.

I might take the Teen hound there so he can get his CFS fix satisfied and I can get some livers (& gizzards?), butter beans and greens.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Got dragged on a double-date to No Va on Rainey. I have no complaints about the food itself, just that it wasn't worth the price in my opinion. It's one of those stereotypical pretentious restaurants where the customers have to accommodate the kitchen rather than the other way around, and you get rather small portions on top of it. It definitely has a high opinion of itself.

I finally tried out Ramen Tatsu-ya, and it was the opposite experience. Cheap, good, and unpretentious. I'll be back to try more.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 PM

416 posts, read 588,122 times
We went to Eats on 8th in G-town in recent weeks - pretty darn tasty (if not crazy busy) for lunch. Not cheap, but very good. Gorgonzola spinach ravioli... mmmm.

Also, Milano Trattoria at Wolf Ranch - no frills, but really good and reasonable. I couldn't eat the pizza, but my husband looooved the light, thin crust. I had lemon chicken, and I asked for veg instead of pasta, and they didn't even blink.

What is the deal with Hopdoddy? A newfangled burger joint? I think the one on I-35 at Old Settlers is getting ready to open. Looked at their menu online and it's interesting.

I think I'll pass on Mellow Mushroom (same vicinity)... they opened one in Phoenix before we left and I wasn't really impressed.

Quote:
Yeah, 'our' new Smokey Mo's is just a new rendition of the formula...but shiny and new. I sure wish they would offer some more sides and PULLED PORK; although I've enjoyed all the meats I've tried there. Ribs are my favorite!
Yeah, we've made that location a regular, since it's so convenient to us. My son loves the brisket and beans, and I adore their smoked turkey. I've been really miffed that Salt Lick hasn't had any in recent months (avian flu issues with their supplier, according to inquiries), and Smokey's really does the trick. Yummers.

Quote:
I don't really understand Verts...those waffle pockets are tough to chew after they cool a bit(as can be the meat). I always feel like I got a jaw workout after eating there. I prefer a pita pocket for sandwiches, I reckon...but I'm cutting down on 'bread' anyway, dang it.
I'm glad you posted something about it, since we've been curious as to what it is. Sounds like it's trying to be quirky and failing a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Brooklyn Heights (new Leander location) Just opened, we should have waited, we will give it another try in a few months - first impression was awful, expensive and noisy

Gino's in Round Rock, so far the best Italian we have found. Reasonable prices, not too noisy, excellent service and good food.
I don't care for Brooklyn Heights at all. I'll go to Tony C's for pizza, thanks.

And Gino's- that place is pretty darn good. We'll be sorry it'll be out of our line of travel when our house is done.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:37 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
I've been to a few places since I've been here.

-Teji's Indian: Ordered it take out a few Sundays ago after a half marathon when I didn't feel like getting off the couch. It was my first attempt at Indian food. They got my order wrong so I ended up eating something ridiculously hot (Chicken Vidaloo when I asked for Chicken tiki Masala). It wasn't worth it to us to run and get a new order. Boyfriend loves the chicken vidaloo though.

-Deckhand Oyster Bar: Their sauce was good. I had a pineapple salad. Next time I'll get something different. It was a bit too hot and a little off for me. I'll go for the fried something or another next time.

-Frida's: Stopped after my father reccomended it. We went on a weekend (cold and wet one) so it was very very slow. We were in and out in an hour. We had two kids who ended up getting the chicken and pasta dishes. They loved the skinny matchstick fries. I had catfish and shrimp. It was pretty good. Boyfriend had Shrimp etouffee. It was a little pricey for a family dinner, but maybe for date night it would be good.

-Appegio Grill: Went for a work Christmas party. I had the chicken lunch special. I'll try the gyro meat next time as I heard that was the best. There weren't a lot of "clean" food options as I was trying to eat well that day. But, maybe for a day when I'm feeling a little bit like eating badly.

-Lima Criolla: I was craving some Arroz con pollo and papas rellanas. It was pretty darn good. I would say stop by if you're in the mood for Peruvian.

-Hop Doddy's: Went to the original location some time in August. We waited in that ridiculous line. I would compare it to a much more hyped version of "The Cove" in San Antonio. I'm not sure if I'd stand in the line again, but it was a nice burger.

-Shu-Shu's: Everyone else seemed to like their food. I got a vegetable rice thing because, again, I was trying to be healthy. I'd get something different next time.

-Masala Wok: Stopped on the way home from work. Got the boyfriend the Chicken Vidaloo)again) and since I am still new to Indian I just got some seasame chicken. I liked it. Not sure he loved it, though. I'd stop again.

I think that's it.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:54 PM

77 posts, read 77,714 times
Went to an Austin old -timer last night "Chez Nous". It was fabulous. We lived in France for 11 years and can vouch for the quality and authenticity of the food there. Made us all quite home sick. We ate in a very french style... plate of charcuterie to share with bread and wine (the Cahors), for our main courses we chose confit de canard which was superb and the lamb cutlets. Well worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin