Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Yes, and too fast. Williamson County is one of the toughest. But personally, I like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,954 times
Well my Texas Civic lesson cost me $194. I got stopped for going 10 over in an effing school zone.

I'm from outta state, I have no idea where I'm at, I have no idea I'm in a school zone (no flashing yellows and no children present) and the AH wouldn't give me a warning. He said "We have a new deputy from California and he insists we ticket ALL speeders in a school zone." Yeah, sure, Mr. Passive-Aggressive.

I wasn't going 100mph folks, I was going 30. I was following the car in front of me who was going the same speed!! I think school zone hours had just started.

I was pissed. And I cried, but only later. Maybe I should have while he was still there. Next time I'll try that!

Since I'm from out of state, I couldn't sign up for the "make me a better driver" class, so I sent the thing in pleading "please consider my fabulous driving record" which is, or WAS, spotless for the past 15 yrs. They charged me anyway. They are totally on my **** list.

What is particularly maddening about this is I encountered tailgaters and traffic weavers and cut-me-off-by-pulling-in-front-of-me too damn close types on the freeways while there. I saw a LOT of people driving like this. And I'm the one who gets a ticket.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
Well my Texas Civic lesson cost me $194. I got stopped for going 10 over in an effing school zone.

I'm from outta state, I have no idea where I'm at, I have no idea I'm in a school zone (no flashing yellows and no children present) and the AH wouldn't give me a warning. He said "We have a new deputy from California and he insists we ticket ALL speeders in a school zone." Yeah, sure, Mr. Passive-Aggressive.

I wasn't going 100mph folks, I was going 30. I was following the car in front of me who was going the same speed!! I think school zone hours had just started.

I was pissed. And I cried, but only later. Maybe I should have while he was still there. Next time I'll try that!

Since I'm from out of state, I couldn't sign up for the "make me a better driver" class, so I sent the thing in pleading "please consider my fabulous driving record" which is, or WAS, spotless for the past 15 yrs. They charged me anyway. They are totally on my **** list.

What is particularly maddening about this is I encountered tailgaters and traffic weavers and cut-me-off-by-pulling-in-front-of-me too damn close types on the freeways while there. I saw a LOT of people driving like this. And I'm the one who gets a ticket.
I'm sorry but you will not get any sympathy from me on this one! Traveling at 30 mph and hitting a small child would KILL them! Until you are on the losing end, you will never understand what that does to a parent. I lost my niece who was only 15 yrs old d/t a careless driver. I'm not saying you are a careless driver, but I think you need to understand that a car can do a lot of damage going at a 30 mph rate, esp. to a small child. And that doesn't even touch on the damage that is done to that child's family. The hurt never goes away-it's been 13 years for me and it still hurts like crazy, esp at this time of year and on birthdays. And just because there were "no children present" doesn't mean there weren't any...small kids dart out in front of cars and you don't even realize it until you are on top of them. You might have been "pissed and cried later" but those parents would cry for a lifetime. Take it from someone who has experienced the flip side of the coin! Hats off to Austin's Finest and the new deputy on this one.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 PM

As someone who lives right next to a school zone, and has a small child, I agree 100%. Zones are almost always clearly marked and the one on my street is no exception. 10 miles over is a lot, especially if a child should dart out in front of you. Because someone else was doing it doesn't make it o.k. Yes, it bites when it seems like you're being picked on, but even if you're doing it a little bit, you're still doing it. And as Texanwannabe says above about losing a child. The little girl who was run over at old time days on my street; for the last few years on the anniversary of her death they always leave a little memorial of flowers or such in a residents yard next to where she died. I doubt it is any easier for them to deal with several years later. Anyone who drives willy nilly through a residential area should always keep thoughts like that in the back of their head somewhere. (just to clarify; that child was not killed by a speeder, but just trying to make a statement about the dangers of hurting a kid)

Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 AM

277 posts, read 1,298,954 times
oh please.

I'm probably the most careful driver out there. A warning would have sufficed in this instance. I have a PERFECT driving record. I never, NEVER knowingly speed through a school zone. And 30 is not speeding, it's the regular limit on that street during non-school hours.

Quite frankly, I think they should pay closer attention to the freeways there. That's where people are more likely to die.

I'm truly sorry for your loss(es).

Last edited by malarkey; 12-10-2007 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Well, maybe write an email to the police chief or the civic group that oversees the department on behalf of citizens and fight it if you feel you've been done a wrong. Get someone to take photos of the area you drove through to prove the area is not accurately marked and fight the ticket as not guilty and bring your proof with you. Well, since you're out of state, that part probably wouldn't work, but emails and letters or calls maybe would. No offense, But it sounds like you are more angry by the fact that your perfect driving record got a little mar on it. Just take a few deep breaths....

Old 12-10-2007, 03:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
It sounds like bad luck. Even the most careful driver will occasionally be in violation of some law, and there is always a chance that you will get a ticket. The officer has no way of knowing anything about you personally....for all she/he knows, you have talked your way out of a dozen tickets, or it could be your first time ever to go over the speed limit; however, I am pretty sure that they are told NOT to write warnings in school zones. It is a very hot topic, and if they don't enforce it, they will eventually be in for some unpleasant fall out. It is quite possible that the school zone has been having speed problems and they were out to correct it. It is in no way anything personal, it is just life.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchuman View Post
How strict are the cops in Texas? Are they like the ones here in California that pull you over for going too slow (39 in a 40 Zone) ?

the cops in texas are much more stricter. there are MORE of them than in calif, especially the smaller towns and subdivisions. these are "speed traps" and a primary source of revenue for these towns. in so calif, i got the sense that i was just one minnow in a vast sea of fish. over here, i feel like the cops are sharks out for the hunt.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,663 times
Texas doesn't allow driving school for speeding in a school zone, whether you are 1 MPH or 10 MPH above the school zone MPH, even if it's under normal driving conditions for that same road. Now, how does that all help your children? It's completely political and has nothing to do with road safety. No offense to all those worried mothers out there, but there are "traps" in signage on some roads in Austin (Travis County) designed to get revenue, not care about whether your children are safe or not. If they cared about whether your children should be safe, they would put flashing lights on any 20 MPH signage that is lower than the normal speed limit, instead of taking chances with your children. Thanks, Austin, speed trappers and DOT who knoweth not how to make signs clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin