Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 PM

25 posts, read 82,422 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. The size range that I'm most interested in is from 220 up to about 400 sq. ft. I'm planning to live in it for a couple of years while saving money up to build another small house on a different lot, then I'll rent the first one.

I'd prefer to live in a rustic home that had a tribal flare, but due to building codes, I'm likely going to build a small abode in the modern style. Also, the low sloping shed roofs without gables are easier for one person to build with hiring only occasional help.

As for the outdoors and the heat, I'm a cowboy turned hippie. I can handle the heat. Currently I work (as an employee) as a gardener on upscale, and also do a bit of habitat restoration. So, I'll be able to create outdoor spaces that people will enjoy.

Currently I'm living in about 185 sq. ft. I live very thrifty. Saving money as well as having less of an impact on the environment, for me, offsets any of the negatives of living in such a small home.

I'll likely apply some of the building methods used here: Sustainable living, delivered. I'm still considering an earthen wall (light clay), but that will depend on whether or not I can build at ground level, or just above grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 135,663 times
clay is a good idea also look into "ferro cement" and "earthbag"

Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Lake Flato, the Texas architectural firm that is designing the new Austin Central Library, has also designed some cool prefab tiny houses.

Lake|Flato Porch House - YouTube

Lake|Flato Porch House

Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM

163 posts, read 408,719 times
I'm curious what you found out. How is the project going?

I've been looking for a lot where I could build a workshop (for hobby stuff, not commercial) and I get the impression that to build on SF zoning I'd have to have a living area with kitchen and bathroom... which I wouldn't mind having at all but I imagine the city minimum requirements would be the same as what you need.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
The Small House movement typically is concerned with houses under 500 sq ft. The Katrina Cottage that was originally designed for disaster relief started at 308 sq ft, has been built all over the country by people looking for affordable, easy to maintain, non-materialistic homes.

Tiny Houses are smaller yet, starting at 65 sq ft and up. As the OP indicated, the biggest issues Tiny House builders face is dealing with building permit restrictions on minimum house size.

Tiny House Blog - Living Simply in Small Spaces

Tiny House Design

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Speaking of easy-to-maintain (and cost effective) it seems that metal buildings are both, however I worry they would get too hot in summer even if insulated well. Local rock is a nice maintenance-free exterior but seems pricey to me. Any other ideas for a decent-looking inexpensive exterior finish? Concrete block with a stucco finish would be both energy efficient and look great, but it seems like the labor cost would be pretty high, and I don't know if I trust myself to DIY masonry... plus it requires a more substantial foundation which would add more cost as well.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Speaking of easy-to-maintain (and cost effective) it seems that metal buildings are both, however I worry they would get too hot in summer even if insulated well. Local rock is a nice maintenance-free exterior but seems pricey to me. Any other ideas for a decent-looking inexpensive exterior finish? Concrete block with a stucco finish would be both energy efficient and look great, but it seems like the labor cost would be pretty high, and I don't know if I trust myself to DIY masonry... plus it requires a more substantial foundation which would add more cost as well.
You need to distinguish between heat conduction and heat radiation.

Insulation slows down heat conduction from warmer air to colder air.

Radiant barriers block heat radiating from hot objects to cooler objects and to the interior air.
Building insulation materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would go with the galvanized metal sheathing, while it readily conducts heat through its thin membrane, it is an effective radiant barrier for radiant heat. Many people are installing radiant barriers on their roofs these days to help reflect radiant heat away. A metal roof is a very effective radiant barrier.

For the marginally small increased cost in a "Tiny House" I would install 2x6 wall studs and fill that extra space with insulation. In fact many of them do exactly this.

The only other exterior, low maintenance material I would consider would be a Hardie-board product or similar. Very durable, root and insect resistant, can be installed with hand tools and hand held electric saws. James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Cool. I hadn't realized that you can now get Hardie board with a baked-on factory finish. Thanks for the tip!
I definitely intend to use either metal sheathing or a radiant barrier and 6" of insulation. I'm toying with the idea of a steel frame building, but I've never seen it done for anything but outbuildings or commercial construction. If the price is low enough it might be worth stepping out of my comfort zone with stick building.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Cool. I hadn't realized that you can now get Hardie board with a baked-on factory finish. Thanks for the tip!
I definitely intend to use either metal sheathing or a radiant barrier and 6" of insulation. I'm toying with the idea of a steel frame building, but I've never seen it done for anything but outbuildings or commercial construction. If the price is low enough it might be worth stepping out of my comfort zone with stick building.
A friend of mine built an all metal stud house for his family. See his website about it here. http://austinsailor.net/house/pond3.html

Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM

251 posts, read 398,313 times
You should speak with Brad Kittel at TexasTinyHouses.com. My Daughter and I heard him speak at the Yarborough Branch Library last year and were blown away. He uses all salvaged materials and is thinking beyond single houses. He's talking about communities of tiny houses with central gardens, etc.

He's down near Goliad I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin