Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM

25 posts, read 82,408 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for information about any minimum square foot requirements that the city of Austin may have on houses. I've been told by an owner/builder that the only minimum (if the subdivision doesn't have a minimum) is the set by the International Residential Code in SECTION R304 MINIMUM ROOM AREAS.

The IRC requirements are:
Every dwelling unit shall have at least one habitable room that shall have not less than 120 square feet (11 m2) of gross floor area.

Other habitable rooms shall have a floor area of not less than 70 square feet (6.5 m2).

Habitable rooms shall not be less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in any horizontal dimension.
Exception: Kitchens.
(and bathrooms too, but there are still measurements between the toilet, sink, and shower that are required).

Does anyone know of a rule in Austin regarding minimum square footage besides what is set by the International Residential Code?

I've spotted a lot on the east side in a neighborhood with no HOA or subdivision requirements!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Nearly every lot in Austin proper will not have HOA or subdivision requirements (they only kick in at certain size).

You need to go down to One Texas Center and ask! And document your visit, know who you talked to and exactly what they said, get it in writing if you can.

good luck!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM

25 posts, read 82,408 times
Thanks for that recommendation centralaustinite. I did call them, but they pass me from one person to the next, and then finally I get an answering machine, and that person doesn't return my call. Going there in person will solve more than one problem for me.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:07 AM

23 posts, read 112,685 times
Yep good advice. Walk in hours are until noon every day.

We have a pretty small house in East Austin and I dont understand the need to have a giant house to have to pay taxes on to be honest. Oh well...it's not my money.There are a lot of new giant (relative) houses in the neighborhood and I don't mind at all because I sorta feel it puts a cap on our taxes.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHand View Post
Going there in person will solve more than one problem for me.
Be careful that it does not open up many more.

I also agree with Central's advice. Follow it as best you can.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,025 times
When you say "tiny house" do mean houses like this?: traditional and modern

I like the modern styles myself - to me most of the traditional ones look like dollhouses!

Btw at the Ikea here, they have their own "tiny house" inside the furniture section, and surprisingly at only 400 square feet, it wasn't that bad - kinda like an expanded dorm room with its own bathroom (no bathtub though) but furnished - along with a roomy kitchen w/full sized appliances - like a conventional home. Not for families obviously but for one or two people it would work nicely.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 11-12-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
I think the tiny homes would work pretty well if one had some outdoor living space - thinking of screened in porch, garden, outdoor hammock, etc. But in Texas, where several months are very hot and difficult to spend outside, it might be more of a challenge to live in such a small space. I suppose it would depend on the other things a person does in their life (work, recreation, etc.), and also one's tolerance to heat and/or confinement in a small space.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,025 times
^ I think for some of those houses, one large window A/C would cool the entire space!

But I know what you mean about the confinement issue, though if the home included enough windows I could deal with it along with the porch (here's one in Texas) etc that you mentioned. And I bet the bills for the utilities, especially electric and gas, would be so small that for those with an aversion to smaller spaces the savings in $$ each month would help take a chunk out of that aversion.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Interesting web site. I'm no architect, but I do enjoy seeing creative solutions to resource and housing challenges. I like several, although some are not what I would call a "wee" house. 2,200 sq. ft. is not that small. But the one in Marfa seems quite nice, especially with the shed and deck. It made me wonder, with a house that small, why not put a sun protective roof not just over the decks, but also over the whole house? Wouldn't a shade a foot or two above the roof of the house allow air circulation and keep the sun off?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM

38 posts, read 135,622 times
I am an architect this question can not be answered with the international building code this is a a zoning issue. Call your local department of city planning and ask someone the requirements. Some cities and counties will allow things like this some will not. Typically urban areas have higher standards.
FYI I am designing a tiny house / home office about 450 sq ft - in the suburbs outside San Diego if you want some ideas on design you can email me jorgefontan@gmail.com i would be happy to give you some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin